Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Let's see...

What I wrote:

"Suzi has an optional touring screen that has the right contours and coverage. A bike doesn't necessarily need adjustable windscreen, if a fixed screen is designed and tested properly. From the looks of it, I expect this GT's wind protection to have a sizable advantage on the N1k. "

What you think I meant:

"...one size and position can fit every rider and every circumstance."

I'd say that is a pretty long stretch. I simply opined that a bike could work well with a fixed screen and doesn't necessarily need an adjustable one. The fact that I followed that sentence immediately with mention of the N1k, it should've at the very least hinted at the scope of my comparison. I only mentioned 2 bikes specifically. Nowhere did I expand it to cover all bikes, every rider and every circumstance.

But I concede I could've have explained better. That ball lies squarely in my court.

FWIW, my point was really in regards to the manually adjustable windscreens I see on quite a few bikes that have very little actual practicality. The worst example I've experienced first hand was the Ducati Supersport S. That bikini screen didn't do squat in any of the positions. All it serves is to let Ducati advertise that it has "adjustable windscreen" in order to lend some sport touring credibility.

N1k isn't quite that bad, but my experiences is that Kawi could've save themselves the troubles and just offered optional screen(s), which they do anyway. A lot of us swap screens on bikes like these. Save that weight and complexity, and spend the R&D yen at the wind tunnel, like Suzi did with the GSX-S1000GT.

N1k's screen adjustability necessitated those silly cutouts to avoid clashing with the handlebars at the lowest setting. I suspect much of the aerodynamic woes came from those stupid cutouts. You look at the pic @rcannon409 posted above of a screen that works much better. They did it by pushing the mounting points forward, which allow them to optimize shape/coverage and avoid those pesky cutouts. To a large extent, that appears to be what Suzi tried to accomplish with the GT.
You’re a good guy. I never meant to sound like I was being a dick about it. Sorry if it came across that way.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Where the Suzi GT wins against the Ninja is in the first mile of a test drive. The GSX-S 1000 packs a strong punch off the line; the Ninja needs revs above 4k to pick up her skirts.
In Au $, the Suzi is $1000 dearer for now (till discounts begin) as it's brand spanking new, and the Kawa will now have to fight with a discounted in sale listing (academic, as there's no stock of either here).
I suggest that Kawasaki fight back with an Ohlins package, perhaps electronic adjustment) in the SE version, even though I has zero complaint of the stocker.

I thought the Suzuki was a good styling exercise other than the weird R1 headlights; combined with a lot of pinching of BMW polish I think, but it comes over a complete package.
Pity they couldn't put an adjustable clutch lever on it. Come on Suzuki, how much does that cost ?

When I look at my saved pictures of my departed now Ninja 1K SE, it looks a more streamlined consistent design, like in a shark, not a stingray like this GSX-S.
Suzuki once designed a 900cc bike from a inspiration of a stingray that a Designer saw in a Jap Bay, it called the RF900 which looked nothing like a stingray.
It was a bitza bike, assembled from a parts bin. I was glad to get off that test rider.

Rob.
Suzuki has stepped up its came enough that I will seriously consider it. But I also think the two bikes are close enough that brand preference and dealer relations will play a factor in what most people will buy. I still am weary of Suzuki because of the money problems they had. I have think they are past that now though.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Volfy, I might disagree with the Suzuki offering better wind protection, but its not because of the angle adjust. I've found that feature semi useless, too.

One of my screens....I believe it was the "zero g double bubble" had instructions with it that said, "To be used in the middle position, only" Maybe it was the v stream touring?

I believe it's difficult to find a large, protection oriented screen that works well at all three angles. The small screens might be ok because they dont block much wind, no matter what.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
RC, at this point, I wouldn't know whether the GSX-S1000GT fixed screen actually works better until I test ride one first hand. However, what I appreciate most is the fact that Suzi bucked the trend of treating manually adjustable screen as somewhat of a check-list item for a sport touring bike... believing instead that proper work in the wind tunnel bears better fruit. I like that engineering confidence to go left when others all went right with the herd.

Of course manually adjustable screen can work well too. There are ones that have more intricate movements (e.g., shift up and down), rather than just simply tilting the screen. I just don't think Kawi did the best they could with the N1k.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
83 Posts
This bike looks great and is on my must test ride list. There are a lot of things to like about this bike and I am happy to see a proper TFT display.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts
Some thoughts ...
  • Tank bag : The copycat-and-make-it-better mentality of the Japanese is back! Look at the ring-mounted tank bags ... should send some shivers up SW-Motech's spine.
  • Real handle-bar: no clip-ons but a real bar
  • Fairings: Seem to have less fairings protection but we'll see ..
  • Brembo front brakes: bravo!
  • Engine compression ratio: (12.2:1) vs Ninja 1000SX (11.8:1)
    • higher = engine components must be beefier or it may cause premature failures
    • must certainly require premium fuel for this kind of compression ratio
  • Engine size : smaller than Ninja. What does it mean for heat since we have higher compression? How do they manage it so the rider is not adversely affected?
  • Warranty : doubled to 2 years (trying to establish credibility as new kid on the block)
  • Dashboard: large German-size (as in BMW R1250GS size) TFT display ... finally! The industry trend seems to be heading towards Telsa size TFT display. I would prefer everything to be holographically projected about 3 feet in front of my head and keep that $15K price. We need more competition. Talking about price ...
  • Price: $20K ! (OK, we are almost going to see a big jump in the Ninja price if they keep up with the competition)
  • Phone connectivity : spending too much time/effort trying to duplicate and not achieve Apple CarPlay. For God sake, just pay the royalty and use CarPlay and be done with it. Besides, Suzuki, your user interface will never come close to Apple's DNA.
  • Headlights: single (non-symmetrical) headlight --- yucks! Back to 1980's with one-eyed Jack Pirate? C'mon ... it's the 21st Century. Wake up.
We don't know if there are durability issues because it has zero historical evidence. If touring is one of its major goals, it must last over tons of miles.
All in all, it's certainly nipping at the heels of the Ninja and such competition will most certainly elicit a better Ninja in the next iteration. In general, it will be good for us, except for the trend-setting price.

PS:
Navigation: If a motorcycle vendor would start the ball rolling with this, I would be a wide-eyed kid ... once again. Put in a single chip to receive satellite signals (like Garmin) and the rest are all software. We can do away with phone-based navigation forever ... especially, if you're marketing this as a tourer.

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
The "brembo" front brakes are not anything special, at all. I have the same calipers on my bike. Brembo makes high quality parts, but this low end grade is made under license, by a 3rd party. Just like the brembo calipers Kawasaki uses on the zh2, or the m50 calipers.

If you see something with a Brembo stamp, a d its price is reasonable, it's from here.

Heat is easily managed by the plastic on the bike. Also, this is insane, but the low speed heat issues are not the engines fault, anyway. Because of emissions, the bikes are programmed to run as hot as they possibly can, at slow speeds, keeping the cats hot.

The thing to look at , on this Suzuki, is how often suzuki mentions "rubber" Rubber top pegs, and rubber mounted handlebars tells you that Suzuki had vibration issues on this engine.

Similar to the ninja in that these engines are based on old technology. The ninja engine isnt much different than the 1994 zx9. The Suzuki is based on the 2005 gsxr. Both of these base bikes were sport bikes where vibration wasnt the priority.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Some thoughts ...
  • Tank bag : The copycat-and-make-it-better mentality of the Japanese is back! Look at the ring-mounted tank bags ... should send some shivers up SW-Motech's spine.
  • Real hand-bar: no clip-ons but a real bar
  • Fairings: Seem to have less fairings protection but we'll see ..
  • Brembo front brakes: bravo!
  • Engine compression ratio: (12.2:1) vs Ninja 1000SX (11.8:1)
    • higher = engine components must be beefier or it may cause premature failures
    • must certainly require premium fuel for this kind of compression ratio
  • Engine size : smaller than Ninja. What does it mean for heat since we have higher compression? How do they manage it so the rider is not adversely affected?
  • Warranty : doubled to 2 years (trying to establish credibility as new kid on the block)
  • Dashboard: large German-size (as in BMW R1250GS size) TFT display ... finally! The industry trend seems to be heading towards Telsa size TFT display. I would prefer everything to be holographically projected about 3 feet in front of my head and keep that $15K price. We need more competition. Talking about price ...
  • Price: $20K ! (OK, we are almost going to see a big jump in the Ninja price if they keep up with the competition)
  • Phone connectivity : spending too much time/effort trying to duplicate and not achieve Apple CarPlay. For God sake, just pay the royalty and use CarPlay and be done with it. Besides, Suzuki, your user interface will never come close to Apple's DNA.
  • Headlights: single (non-symmetrical) headlight --- yucks! Back to 1980's with one-eyed Jack Pirate? C'mon ... it's the 21st Century. Wake up.
We don't know if there are durability issues because it has zero historical evidence. If touring is one of its major goals, it must last over tons of miles.
All in all, it's certainly nipping at the heels of the Ninja and such competition will most certainly elicit a better Ninja in the next iteration. In general, it will be good for us, except for the trend-setting price.

PS:
Navigation: If a motorcycle vendor would start the ball rolling with this, I would be a wide-eyed kid ... once again. Put in a single chip to receive satellite signals (like Garmin) and the rest are all software. We can do away with phone-based navigation forever ... especially, if you're marketing this as a tourer.
$20 K not the U.S. price. That is Australia I believe. The U.S. price is not listed yet. Guaranteed it will be close to the Ninja1000. There GSX-R 1000 undercuts all of its competition.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow! I'm coming in late here, but man this is interesting. I think it looks amazing. Dare I say better than the N1K. I'm not sold on the aerodynamics though. Sure, they wind-tunnel tested it. But (at least in the marketing video) they only had one test rider. I doubt they took people over 6 feet into consideration when they were working on the airflow. Hopefully I'm wrong. About the only thing I just absolutely don't like is the name. I know, I know. It's a Suzuki. That's their naming convention. But "Ninja 1000" is much simpler than the tongue-twister of "GSX-S1000GT".

In any case, I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this one.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
167 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
See, our bike was in a wind tunnel, too. Because of the recession, they only tested the Puig screen, and it was only simulated, but from what I hear, that is very accurate. I like how rhis was test 9408...as if 9407 tested were performed before this one.

I also like how the single stream hits me right in the crotch. That's reason enough to buy the screen. I'll bet Suzuki doesnt offer that? This allows you to pee, without stopping. Jjs told me about this or I would have never known it to be possible.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts
See, our bike was in a wind tunnel, too. Because of the recession, they only tested the Puig screen, and it was only simulated, but from what I hear, that is very accurate. I like how rhis was test 9408...as if 9407 tested were performed before this one.

I also like how the single stream hits me right in the crotch. That's reason enough to buy the screen. I'll bet Suzuki doesnt offer that? This allows you to pee, without stopping. Jjs told me about this or I would have never known it to be possible.

I don't see the model in this vid. Any idea what Puig model is this?

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
Arthur, I've noticed that this Puig has "race" shield, for this bike and I've also seen a "touring " shield listed for this bike.

With that said, I've never seen 2 different shields from them. Just the one . It must be so amazing, it pulls double duty? The worst mistake you could make , if you order one, is to get the one that has the old 6 hole pattern instead of the new, 4 hole version. It is a good shield, though. Everyone should have it in their collection.

Rock, that is a brilliant point. There is no advantage, based on this video. I knew I lived both screens. Now I know why.

I remember selling one of these and offering to deliver it because the customer lived 125 miles west of Salt Lake. This was an excellent bike . Fast, fairly smooth, and the windshield did adjust, concours 14 like. If I had to do a 500 mile day, I would choose this over a ninja, or the new Suzuki. This bike had better wind protection and none if the new bikes are purple, which is a huge advantage.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
I have one question. If you look at the older bikes, the windshields are built into the bodywork. Even on this old, adjustable shield of this 90's era bike.

Now, most everything is a floating design. Even my concours 14 has space on that backside. I guessed it helps prevent the "push from behind" feel you get from big windshields? I know my c14 was more quiet when I stuffed the open , backside area, with one of the drop stop cushions, but it wasnt that big of a difference.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This GSXS is interesting. Throw in an 05 intake cam and an 01 intake cam on the exhaust side and align them to 105/105 degrees with a full exhaust and a tune and it'll be a beast. Easily 170 hp to the tire. I have a spare set of cams if someone wants to try. This GSXS is finally decent looking.

My next try on a sport touring bike after the modded 06 GSXR1000 is with my 04 ZX12R. Even more torque, better wind protection than the 06 GSXR1000. It comes stock with 2" raised bars, so I raised them an additional inch. I'm convinced I can get the weight out of that ZX12R beast. Crazy heavy wheels, heavy exhaust more so than many catted bikes, lighter triples/forks now since I'm using one's from a 2011 ZX10R that have Ohlins cartridges, Penske shock, Marchesini 10 spokes. I'm planning to ride it to the MotoGP race in Austin this week. I'm going to try and find a place to scale the bike with a full tank on the trip. I'll know a lot more how I like it after six hours on the road.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I need to ride the GSXS or Katana at IMS to see what's so great about the K5.

Personally, I wouldn't trade my N1K for this. A H2 SX in the garage would be awesome though. Occasionally I'll see one on sale for sub $20k.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't trade my N1K for this. A H2 SX in the garage would be awesome though. Occasionally I'll see one on sale for sub $20k.
The Ninja 1000 is just a better designed thoughtout bike, Ive personally raced both those bikes and spanked them both. The Katana owner I know wants to trade his in for a N1K.

I haven't seen the new FooGazee in the flesh yet but put you're N1k next to a Katana or GSXS and you will clearly see which bike is superior.

H2 Carbon???

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

I had the H2 SX. I liked it much more than the N1K, but the insurance was stupid and made me sell it.

41 - 60 of 138 Posts