Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking about getting a new bike but am considering upgrading the suspension using Traxxion Dynamics and adding a slipper clutch to my 15 instead. I always want the latest and greatest but figure if I did the clutch and suspension, along with the recent Ivan's flash I had done, i'd have 90% of what a 2020 has to offer at a fraction of the cost.

Is there a complete clutch that can be purchased or does it have to be bought in pieces and assembled? Or should I just work the suspension and not bother with the slipper clutch?

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
The slipper clutch is a nice accessory. It works really well. The pull is so light, as compared to the original clutch, that you cant help but feel like you made a mistake when you put it together. The slipper function works well, but I doubt most experienced riders use it, often. You really have to screw up and drop into 1st gear, at 50mph, to activate it. I've done if a few times, just for fun, but the lightweight pull is its main advantage. Looking back, I think we had as much fun and entertainment making it fit, and discussing it, as oposed to it being this awesome accessory.

There is no kit. It's not a mod that Kawasaki was ever involved in. You have to order the pieces. The only other option is to watch ebay and find a used clutch assembly. So far, I have not seen a ton of them, but it is possible to find a used assembly. I know one guy who bought an entire assembly for 150.00.

The Ivan's flash has the motor running better than the 2020. The suspension? If you do that, the suspension is worlds above what the 2020 has, as you would expect it to be for what it costs. I think it makes sense if you plan to keep the bike for a while. It doesnt take many bike trades to lose 2500.00.

The clutch is not very difficult to work on. It looks complicated, but has very few parts. I say that because I believe you would have to do this conversion, yourself. I dont think a shop would be willing to install it. Especially when that list only includes a few replacement clutch plates. Re-using clutch plates is a bad idea, and never works out well......this is one of the rare exceptions where it does.

If your mechanical abilities would let you change a front sprocket, I think I could talk you through this clutch upgrade. The most difficult part is removing the center hub and swapping it to the new piece.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a new bike but am considering upgrading the suspension using Traxxion Dynamics and adding a slipper clutch to my 15 instead. I always want the latest and greatest but figure if I did the clutch and suspension, along with the recent Ivan's flash I had done, i'd have 90% of what a 2020 has to offer at a fraction of the cost.
Chowda, you are going down the right path with this. Just these two things alone will make your bike feel new, and will pay dividends in your riding satisfaction. Like you said you already have the tune so your bike is running better than stock. The suspension and slipper will actually bring it to a level better than the 2017-2019 models. If only you can swap the LED headlights!

Replacing your N1k with a newest is only going to lighten your bank account significantly, while gaining just a marginal improvement in performance. Your tuned bike will actually go faster.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ditto on what has been said above. The reason I am still riding my 2013 is Ivan's reflash and Traxxion suspension.

I had Traxxion rebuild the stock shock and forks on my Ninja with new springs and valves and the improvement was remarkable. I also have another sport touring bike which I had Traxxion build suspension for, but this time I went with the more expensive upgrade of a Penske shock and AK-20 fork cartridges, which cost about $1000 more than doing a rebuild of the stock parts. If I had it to do over again I would go with the basic rebuild. Yes, the Penske/AK-20 is better, but by no means $1000 better. The rebuilt suspension on my Ninja is very good and far more bang for the buck!

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
Chowda, you have to change the piece that is gray, as well as the piece that is blue. These two work together to make it a assist/slipper clutch. The parts are on the list. I believe it was a 28mm socket we needed to remove the nut that holds it in place. Call the gray piece the "inner hub" The other, blue piece is the pressure plate. This drawing isnt complete, but it's close enough. They are not showing the clutch basket. That's fine because we re-use our old one. When we found out we could re-use the clutch basket, it was like "You are f-ing kidding me..no way!". Having to replace that would have doubled the cost. It's not cheap, but could have been much worse.

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
I agree with Johnny on the suspension comments, too. He and I have the same parts. We could have had decent performance for less money. Rock brought up a good point on this. The way johnny and I did this meant we had no down time. Rock said he would have difficulty finding a shop that would keep his disassembled bike while his shock and forks were shipped . This would tie up a rack, or lift for 1 or 2 weeks. This might end up costing more if they charge for this "storage ". Without a shock, or forks it's difficult to roll the bike into a spot where it's not in the way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm about 190 miles from Traxxion Dynamics. When I spoke to them they said if I brought the bike to them they could have everything done in about 5 hours while I wait for it. That's what I would do.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
I dont believe any shop has more experience, on this bike, than Traxxion. If I was that close, for sure I would use them. I worked with Dan, and he was amazing.

The best value they have is the rebuild of the stock shock. I believe I paid 350, but that was a few years back. It might be more, now. No big deal of it is. Traxxion takes this stock shock apart and revalves it. They finish the job with a new spring to match your weight. It's a little crazy because the shock looks identical to what you sent them. You have the different colored spring and a gas port to charge the shock with Nitrogen. A little different, but not much. The performance is excellent. You would have no idea the shock was based around the stock shock if you couldnt see it. If that mod is in the 350-400 range, it's a bargain.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The slipper clutch is a nice accessory. It works really well. The pull is so light, as compared to the original clutch, that you cant help but feel like you made a mistake when you put it together. The slipper function works well, but I doubt most experienced riders use it, often. You really have to screw up and drop into 1st gear, at 50mph, to activate it. I've done if a few times, just for fun, but the lightweight pull is its main advantage. Looking back, I think we had as much fun and entertainment making it fit, and discussing it, as oposed to it being this awesome accessory.

There is no kit. It's not a mod that Kawasaki was ever involved in. You have to order the pieces. The only other option is to watch ebay and find a used clutch assembly. So far, I have not seen a ton of them, but it is possible to find a used assembly. I know one guy who bought an entire assembly for 150.00.

The Ivan's flash has the motor running better than the 2020. The suspension? If you do that, the suspension is worlds above what the 2020 has, as you would expect it to be for what it costs. I think it makes sense if you plan to keep the bike for a while. It doesnt take many bike trades to lose 2500.00.

The clutch is not very difficult to work on. It looks complicated, but has very few parts. I say that because I believe you would have to do this conversion, yourself. I dont think a shop would be willing to install it. Especially when that list only includes a few replacement clutch plates. Re-using clutch plates is a bad idea, and never works out well......this is one of the rare exceptions where it does.

If your mechanical abilities would let you change a front sprocket, I think I could talk you through this clutch upgrade. The most difficult part is removing the center hub and swapping it to the new piece.

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
Angelo, I do. The prices listed here are probably lower than you'll find, today.

13087-0566 Hub-Clutch $207.87
13187-0023 Plate-Clutch Operating $108.47
13089-0024 Plate-Clutch SPG COMP $8.49
16007-0711 Seat-Spring (X3) $1.77 $5.31
92145-1630 Spring (X3) $3.56 $10.68
13272-1413 Plate $7.33
92154-1116 Bolt, 6x35 (X3) $5.13 $15.39
13089-0023 Plate, Clutch,T 2.3 $8.49

13089-1073 2.0mm clutch plates. X3

The last item, the 2.0mm clutch plates, you might end up using only 2 of them. Get 3, anyway. If you order 2, and need 3, you would have to order one in as no one stocks these plates.

The stuff above that, you have to order. The parts diagram doesnt do a good job of explaining why, but you have to.

If a person wanted to, you could order all new friction plates as well as new steels. This would cost an extra 200-300. This list has you using as many of the stock parts as possible.

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
I dont know where you are ordering parts from, but Rocky Mountain ATV still discount oem kawasaki parts. They only want 182.59 for that first piece. That's less than I paid back in 2015.

The basic parts of this new clutch is used in several bikes. The newer ninja 1000, obviously, but the z900 uses it, too, as does the newer Versys 1000.

We should add a gasket for the side cover? I was able to re use mine. I think that's because I ordered a spare and had one ready to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts