Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)HI I am thinking about buying ninja 1000 I bought last year CTX 700 faired and fz6r and have others. I can get a 2015 ninja 1000 for 9,700 that's including freight and setup 10,700 out the door. Is that good price I had a ninja 300 too and after riding for an hour my hand would be numb and tingle for a week. Is this bike like that I hope not. IS this bike worth it will I enjoy.
My CTX is nice and comfy for cruising no vibes ride all day and no vibes
fz6r is smooth like butter no vibes needs nothing another good bike. I had CBR 500r nice but bad vibes under seat and felt like sitting high on bike instead of in bike like ninja 300.the one major purchase was a can am spyder rt 20,000 maybe more plus nothing but problems the other bikes I listed are about 5-6 thousand range and would hate to pay 11,000 and end up with another spyder. I have to go look at 2 hrs away on Tuesday I live in N.Y. cold now. I am not a track rider I just like to cruise ride 2 up once in awhile and fast start to stop on occasion plus the bike looks good.:D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Did you follow me from the CTX forum here? ;) I had the faired version with DCT. Now my son has it. All in all a great bike but needed a bigger tank, 15-20 more HP, dual discs up front, better suspension and lights.

Some thoughts about the 2 bikes.
  • CTX with a Corbin seat and mini floorboards was one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned. I could ride 12 hours straight and have no issues. Ninja isn't as comfy.
  • Ninja has about 2.5 x more HP and about the same weight
  • Ninja has better range but worse MPG
  • CTX fuel injection programming was perfect for drivability, Ninja not so good on mine but a reflash of the ECU made it almost as good as the CTX and provided other benefits
  • Both motors are very torque, big difference is Ninja is stronger at any RPM and will pull hard to 11k. I could run my Ninja down to 15 mph in 6th gear with my wife on the back and pull smoothly to well over 100 with no hiccups or bucking.
  • Ninja brakes are amazing
  • Ninja antegrated luggage from 2014 on is great
  • Fuel computer and range indicator on the dash are pretty good
  • Headlights suck on both bikes but the Ninja is slightly better but can be upgraded
  • Stock Ninja seat is worse than stock CTX seat
  • A Cee Bailey 24" screen on the CTX gives you better protection than any screen on the Ninja
  • Rear tire life was about the same on both bikes surprisingly, CTX has 11k on stock front but the Ninja I replaced the crappy front when the rear wore out at about 5.5k miles.
All in all, with a few mods, the Ninja is an amazing all around bike. It is like the swiss army knife of streetbikes. It isn't the fastest, best handling, coolest, etc. but it is very good bike on a daily basis. Plus it will wheelie nicely when you get the itch. The traction control and power modes work well. It has absolutely outstanding brakes. I use mine as I did the CTX, to commute about 1400-1800 miles week. Most of that on the weekends where I ride about 700-800 miles each way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks

how about vibration in handlebars I had the 300 my hand would go numb after a hour and tingle for a week after riding hard. will it wheelie in low power mode. my insurance for 3 bikes with full coverage on 1 with 250 deductible is 120 year if I take full coverage off that bike and add ninja with full coverage it goes up to 390 a year so how much am I gonna ride it
with 3 other bikes but my main concern is vibes that's a deal breaker I agree with you my only complain with my ctx is the rear shock that thing handles really well in curves the seat was hard at first but got better the ninja 300 was really hard and slid jewels into the tank is the 2015 ninja like this what year ninja u have

·
Registered
828 Posts
Handlebar vibes on my become more pronounced about 5k. Having said that, you almost never need to go to 5k. At 3.5k rpm, the Ninja is already pulling harder than the CTX will at any rpm.

I actually should correct myself, with stock gearing, you might see higher rpms at cruise. I went with a bigger countershaft sprocket to reduce revs at cruise. One of the best mods I made. One thing I found that tames the vibes quite a bit is heavier handlebar weights. Made a very significant improvement on my bike but YMMV.

I've riddent the 250/300 Ninjas and they both rev more than the Ninja aka N1K but it is a lower frequency vibe in the handlebars than on mine. There was a bad harmonic resonance at about 7k with the stock handelbar weights that would make my fingers numb in short order. That rpm equates to about 105 mph or so in 6th with stock gear.With my gearing it is about 112 or so but with the reduced vibes is barely and issue and smooths out by about 7.5k. I can transition that range very quickly when accelerating.

Stock I think my longest day of riding was about 14 hours. I just kept it out the 5k rpm range. That put my cruise speed at about 75 mph. I could cruise at about 85 as well. The range between 76-84 was too vibey on my bike. Changing the countershaft helped move my cruise up even with stock bar weights.

If I ran my CTX at the speed I run my N1K, mileage was surprisingly close. I could get in the 40's on the CTX but when I scaled back the speeds I'd be in the high 50's low 60 mpg range if I kept it below 75 and didn't charge up any mountains at WOT. I am normally in the 38-42 range mpg with my gearing and a Ivan's reflash. I spent a lot of time in and around triple digit speeds though. If you dial the speed back to the low 70's, I can see close to upper 40's. I can't take that too long and normally am back cruising at higher speeds.

FYI- the speedo is off by a crazy amount. I am pretty close though now with a taller rear tire. Top speed is a true 155-160 (depending on gearing and no saddlebags) on flat level ground if you ever want to push it. Very stable at that speeds, it just runs out of HP.

What area of the country are you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

HI thanks for your honesty I am in The U.S and the speed in my area is 55 mph that's right around the vibe area. from doing some reading. 65 at most in some spots not many. I was suppose to go look at bike 2 hours away tomorrow feb 1 am going to wait. Cant test ride
due to snow.or maybe wait a year and get some more use out off my other new bikes. MY ninja 300 I tried bar end weights ect. That's why i sold but liked that bike.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Honest, there are no four cylinder motorcycles, or really any motorcycle, that are truly "vibration free". Even my concours 14 has vibration. Yes, its pretty much nothing, but its still there.

Its nothing new, and we all know its there. The thing is, it does not matter if it causes you no issues. I believe the ninja 1000 is at that level. The level to where it does not cause problems.

To completely eliminate it, I think your looking at electric powered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks

I know all motorcycles have vibes I have several I just wanted a opinion
and I was just referring to the kind of vibes I got from my last ninja and I know its a different motor ect Just trying to get all info as I can.
If I buy thanks for all your help I find the forums help to make a decisions
things' to look for ect. I do understand some things that bother some might not bother others. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The vibration varies from bike to bike it seems like. I don't really have any vibration under 6k, so I can go 85mph without issues. There is significant vibration over 7k rpm; luckily that's not where you typically spend an extended period of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honest, there are no four cylinder motorcycles, or really any motorcycle, that are truly "vibration free". Even my concours 14 has vibration. Yes, its pretty much nothing, but its still there.

Its nothing new, and we all know its there. The thing is, it does not matter if it causes you no issues. I believe the ninja 1000 is at that level. The level to where it does not cause problems.

To completely eliminate it, I think your looking at electric powered.
No vibration free four cylinder bikes? I own a nearly 25 year old Kawasaki ZR750 four cylinder which uses a bored out Z650 engine designed in the early 1970's. This engine was used by Kawasaki in various configurations for nearly 40 years. It might be noisy being an old-school air cooled engine but it does not vibrate.

It won't go unless you rev it over 6k through to 10k redline and it does this with any adverse vibration whatsoever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts