Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought 2016 new. Have 400 miles on it. Has been great til just yesterday, started it up, took off down the road, shift into 3rd and the bike cuts off. Pull over, start again and it was fine... no issues. Took off again this morning, same thing happened. Shift in to 3rd 4th and the bike cuts off. Coast to parking lot, turn key off and back on, start to ride and bike is back to normal. Should I take in? Is it something I'm doing? Bike is under warranty

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Nothing your doing,,,if your saying the motor cuts out and you need to restart it,,,,could be the switch on the kickstand is loose or not set up right and the shift momentum is killing the engine, or perhaps its idling back to far when you roll off to shift,.

Get it back in there ASAP they will get to the bottom of it,,,,as its not very safe!!

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
You should look at the kickstand switch. Yes, return the bike to the dealer, but if that switch is out of place, sticky, or messed up, it would do this,and it might be an easy fix..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gearbox thrashing at 4th/5th up-shift

2015 N1K, bought brand new, broken in according to manual. Almost ever since I've had it, occasionally I'll upshift into something other than 2nd, ease out the clutch, and the bike acts like it's in neutral. At first it was between 5th and 6th, but now it's starting to do it in lower gears. Of course, it doesn't do it when you ask the shop to look at it and they can't duplicate it. Apparently, I didn't have synthetic in it , so they put that in at the last oil change, thinking that's what it needed. Still does it. My neighbor, a veteran sport bike rider, suggested that it could be that I'm shifting at too low of an rpm for that engine. So I've made it a point from time to time to make sure I shift at a higher rpm, but it still does it. Anybody else experience this? On the road it's not all that big of a deal, except that I know it's not normal, but I certainly don't want it happening at the track. Thanks for your help!
Yep Me. I ride a 2011 Ninja 1000 SX. Bought it used recently. This issue happens to me almost everyday and I'm losing confidence in shifting at critical moments. Happens around 3 -> 4th and 4 -> 5th shift making painful thrashing sounds in the gear box. I end up kicking the gear up and holding my feet up for a second while releasing clutch to ensure the gear engages. Sometimes i feel the gear engage with a click (This would have been the time when i'd usually hear the thrashing sounds otherwise). And Rarely it fails to engage from 1 ->2 and falls to neutral.
Recently changed oil with Kawi synthetic hoping to rectify the issue. But alas.!!
At this point, I'm going to look at shift linkage and clutch lever play. Hope it doesn't need to go deep into the transmission. The thrashing sound keep me up at night.! :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 N1K, bought brand new, broken in according to manual. Almost ever since I've had it, occasionally I'll upshift into something other than 2nd, ease out the clutch, and the bike acts like it's in neutral. At first it was between 5th and 6th, but now it's starting to do it in lower gears. Of course, it doesn't do it when you ask the shop to look at it and they can't duplicate it. Apparently, I didn't have synthetic in it , so they put that in at the last oil change, thinking that's what it needed. Still does it. My neighbor, a veteran sport bike rider, suggested that it could be that I'm shifting at too low of an rpm for that engine. So I've made it a point from time to time to make sure I shift at a higher rpm, but it still does it. Anybody else experience this? On the road it's not all that big of a deal, except that I know it's not normal, but I certainly don't want it happening at the track. Thanks for your help!
I have a 2012 that has started doing this exact same thing. If feels like shifting two gears at once when shifting into 6th gear. I can hit neutral shifting from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th if I don't follow completely through the shift. Did you resolve your issue? If so what fixed it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gearbox thrashing at 4th/5th up-shift

Yep Me. I ride a 2011 Ninja 1000 SX. Bought it used recently. This issue happens to me almost everyday and I'm losing confidence in shifting at critical moments. Happens around 3 -> 4th and 4 -> 5th shift making painful thrashing sounds in the gear box. I end up kicking the gear up and holding my feet up for a second while releasing clutch to ensure the gear engages. Sometimes i feel the gear engage with a click (This would have been the time when i'd usually hear the thrashing sounds otherwise). And Rarely it fails to engage from 1 ->2 and falls to neutral.
Recently changed oil with Kawi synthetic hoping to rectify the issue. But alas.!!
At this point, I'm going to look at shift linkage and clutch lever play. Hope it doesn't need to go deep into the transmission. The thrashing sound keep me up at night.! :(
Did you identify the issue?

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
If you want REALLY good shifts, add the shift spring from factory pro. Its halfway nasty to install, but once it's in place, the transmission feels like it's been hand polished and custom fitted.

It's this piece. If someone is a semi-decent mechanic, they can handle the install. I figured out a few steps that make it much easier. Let me know if you want me to share them. Every bike I have has one of the upgraded springs.

zx1000 Ninja 1000, Pro Shift kit, ecu reflash, Factory Pro 800 869-0497

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want REALLY good shifts, add the shift spring from factory pro. Its halfway nasty to install, but once it's in place, the transmission feels like it's been hand polished and custom fitted.

It's this piece. If someone is a semi-decent mechanic, they can handle the install. I figured out a few steps that make it much easier. Let me know if you want me to share them. Every bike I have has one of the upgraded springs.

zx1000 Ninja 1000, Pro Shift kit, ecu reflash, Factory Pro 800 869-0497
So the spring is the issue? Is this what fixed your bike?

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
I didnt really have an issue, but I had used the Factory Pro spring in other bikes, and theres no way I was doing any significant miles without one. I missed a few shifts when the bike was new, and I didnt want to risk damaging the transmission. I know it's crazy, but it really works. In a section , on the website, he calls the heavy spring a "transmission saver", and I agree.

The shift lever ends up being more stiff to move. I wish I had a diagram, or video to explain why this helps. I cant find anything, but it makes the transmission feel more exact and shifts are more precise.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
<< snip >>
Does the spring assist with down-shifts ??

My N1K is reasonable on the up-shifts but down-shifts can be imprecise, especially 3->2.

Also, did you fit the new detent arm as well as the spring ??

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
The spring helps in every way. It's a great mod.

I did not do the detent arm. I would if he had the full kit. Having said that, the spring is at least 80-90% of what the full kit is. I know it sounds too good to be true, it's that good.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
One of our forum members, Bazninja, real name Lori, installed one of the shift springs. She accomplished that, 100% and did a great job. She had some difficulty with the clutch, which is understandable. She documented her work in this thread.

I was a overconfident, dumb ***. My mistake was not plugging the oil passages that go from this area to the oil pan. When I removed my stock spring, the sleeve it rotates on went "plop". It fell into the oil pan. I was unable to pick it up with a magnet. I had to remove my exhaust as well as the oil pan to be able to finish. 30 seconds plugging that area with a paper towel and maybe some covers made from an old milk jug would have solved/prevented this issue.

Second issue is the spring has to be compressed to slide it into position so you can bolt it into place. That's fine, but this new spring is stiff. You cant really hold it, compressed, with finger pressure. I ended up holding one end of the spring against a wall, compressing it, then wrapping it with one wind of safety wire. Once it was in place, I cut the wire. This made this step easy.

I ended up spending about 4 hrs on the install. Should have been 2 hours.

Dont be intimidated by the install. Between Lori's work, and my own, I think we found the landmines that go along with this job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try to up/shift it with out the clutch... I find mine is shifting smoother with out the clutch... The other thing ...the shifting legs are really short ... so I did install a 17 teeth front sprocket ...sooooo much better...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts