Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
I saw that, but the zrx forum wont let me in , and I cant see the pic without being a member. I suppose I could register....I always liked the zrx bikes, anyway.

But if the person has a web page, Id be interested. Mine is pretty good, now, but the better joints would be nice.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Thanks Chrispy

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
I was already a member...I sent him a pm asking about the joints.

My pivot point is good, but I would love to have two better joints, and maybe even a stronger shift rid to go between them???

We have it made, in modern days. I cannot believe the access we have to knowledge and parts, and fixes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm in on both these mods. Gonna order the Murphs bearings Monday. Let us know what the guy says about the joints.

I've used Rotella T6 in my bike since first oil change (I've only got about 7500 miles on it though). I may try the Motul next?

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
It turns out Ive known the guy who makes those linkages..We've been friends since the mid 90's, on another forum.

Dont be the least bit afraid to send him money, your shifter, or give him the keys to your house. Hes a good guy.

Another thing working against us us the rubber mounted footpeg. It moves when you put pressure on it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It turns out Ive known the guy who makes those linkages..We've been friends since the mid 90's, on another forum.

Dont be the least bit afraid to send him money, your shifter, or give him the keys to your house. Hes a good guy.
Yup, I can vouch for Jim as well. Met him more than a few times at rallies. Even survived a monsoon at the Motogp in Indy with him and his wife. :grin:

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
You know what else? Jim did some really cool stuff with his airguns, and probably still does. Very talented guy.

Turnsmout, he actually sent me some literature, many years ago. What are the odds of runing across HIM, in a totally different subject, so many years LATER? Has to be almost impossible.

I do wonder what aftermarket rearsets would be like? It would be nice to have a brake pedal that was play free, too.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Boy, have I opened up a can of worms here or what?? Thanks for all the great info! I'll check to see how much slop is in the shifter, and then maybe start with the Murph's mod and see what happens. Is that just a replacement for the bolt, etc that holds on the shifter? The real question I'm asking here is whether it's something I can fix while being left unattended. I wouldn't want to get into anything too serious (if necessary) until winter. That, and my bike is my only motorized transportation at the moment because my truck has been in the shop getting the engine rebuilt since Memorial Day weekend.
Looks to me to be a replacement bolt along with the bearings. The bearings from RC's description need to be pressed into the shifter pedal pivot point, but being so small it looks like that can be done with a good carbon bolt, nut and a couple of washers one at a time, probably a 1 to 2 hr. job, and would be rated a 1 to 2 out of 5 on the pony tail scale of difficulty. There is a sleeve that is in the shifter pedal pivot point now and it may have to be removed but not sure at this time, maybe RC would know.
Ordered the Bearinged Up kit Saturday and received shipment notification today and to be delivered on Thursday, hope to have them installed this weekend.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Be sure and grab some loctite. You may or may not need it. I used the "stud and bearing" formula, and it is amazing.

I had two shifters, and the tolerances on them are terrible. Lever 1 needed the bearings pressed in it. Not serious pressing, just the bolt and nut, but it was a tight fit.

Lever 2 needed finger pressure and no way would it have stayed together without loctite on the bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Be sure and grab some loctite. You may or may not need it. I used the "stud and bearing" formula, and it is amazing.

I had two shifters, and the tolerances on them are terrible. Lever 1 needed the bearings pressed in it. Not serious pressing, just the bolt and nut, but it was a tight fit.

Lever 2 needed finger pressure and no way would it have stayed together without loctite on the bearings.
RC
On the N1K shifter I noticed a brass sleeve inside the pivot point joint of the pedal that my guess was meant to be consumable and replaceable down the line. Do you remember seeing this and did you remove it. My wife called last night and said a small package had arrived so am trying to schedule time Saturday morning before breakfast to do the install and this is one of those questions I've yet to answer.
Thanks in advance
Kenneth

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Sony, meant to reply earlier....

Yes, that sleeve had to come out. I used a nail and a set of vice grips. Clamped the nail, and used its head, like a puller.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Bearinged UP

RC, since you have both C-14 & N1K, can you confirm this is the correct kit for the N1K?
Your picture looks exactly like the one I received and just installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
I'm not sure...the kits are almost identical...the ninja bearings are smaller in diameter...it might be 13mm vs 14mm..very slight.

The difference is only about 1mm, so no way to see it from a pic. I would be stunned if Murphy sent the wrong one, though.

I do wish my eyesight was that good...Maybe we can find a kit for that!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good thread. I think I'll have to do this. I sent my sensor in for a warranty exchange on my quick shifter and think these mods would help not kill the next sensor and make the QS behave better.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
In my opinion a very enexpensive upgrade, much smoother feel and less effort needed. I've put less than 100 miles on it but am confident it's a keeper. Thanks RC.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Im glad you like it. I think if we end up upgrading the ball ends, we might really have soemthign magical.

I think miles also helps. My 14 really started shifting, and feeling great at 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)

Another thing working against us us the rubber mounted footpeg. It moves when you put pressure on it.
Just reread my thread today after fighting with the stupid thing on an on-ramp, trying to get around a bunch of people in the outside lane before it merged. They all probably thought I was some big loser who couldn't shift or was just trying to sound cool by revving the engine.

I wonder if this is part of my problem. I have to stand on that left peg to be able to swing my right leg over the seat. Sorry, I don't do the hike-up-the-right-leg/lunge-over-the-seat mounting method that I see a lot of vertically-challenged guys do. I think with my way, I look more like a ballerina.:angel:

I think I'll move forward with the Murph mod. The bike is going to be in pieces in my garage sometime over the winter anyway, as I've decided to do my own labor to fix the damage from the deer-ending, except for having a local body shop guy fix the black part of my saddlebag for a whopping 75 bucks. Sure beats spending $900 on another set. I'm also swapping my extra set of hit-and-run bags for a set of muffler cans (Thanks, Mike!), and trying a little touch-up paint on the rear wheel since a wheel repair shop said it's not a safety issue. That, plus labor saved, leaves me most of my insurance money for adding a few mods (I'm also getting a gear-indicator and Denali horn; I'm tempted to do Ivan's reflash, too) and paying it off early.
Save

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
In my opinion a very enexpensive upgrade, much smoother feel and less effort needed. I've put less than 100 miles on it but am confident it's a keeper. Thanks RC.
Absolutely second what has been said about the mod, I mentioned in another thread a while back that when really hot outside and pushing the bike hard, at times I could feel a difference in the shift. No way I could have felt that before the mod.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts