Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This chain maintenance every 400 miles is kinda a pain. Shaft
drive would be nice, and the rear wheel would be cleaner.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys amaze me. I just mention it would be nice to have shaft drive. And that's your opportunity to criticize or mock someone, or be a smart ***! Don't you guys have anything else to do? You guys are too full of yourselves! I've noticed all chat rooms seem to have one or two guys like you that think they are better than anyone else.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just mention I'd like to have shaft drive, and I get "Why did you buy an N1K in the first place"? What a jerk! Eagle and his sidekick Cannon. Its like you have the maturity of a 6th grader.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
You know, I have the shaft drive on the concours 14. For every advantage you think there is, I'll bet I could give you a disadvantage. The maintenance is almost zero, I'll give it that. Tire changes are easy.

First, Kawasaki went all in to design this system. It rides just like a chain drive bike. That adds about 60-70 lbs to the bike. Maybe they only add 50lbs to do it to the ninja, but it wouldn't be light anymore. Its lighter, if they dont isolate it, but then it really sucks . The back end of the bike will lock up as you accelerate.

Second....you better like the stock gearing. You really cant change it. The concours is geared for about 250mph. I would lower it, if I could. Also, with a chain, you can visually see it and know what's wearing out. The shaft? Not really. This one is reliable, but BMW has built some real turds.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey folks, don't mention you'd like to have shaft drive. Eagle and Cannon will ridicule you for even having the thought, not to mention writing it down!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey folks, don't mention you'd like to have shaft drive. Eagle and Cannon will ridicule you for even having the thought, not to mention writing it down!
As many times in the past you misunderstood a reply because you don't agree, your adolescence is showing. I questioned why you would buy a chain drive bike if you like a shaft drive bike. On the other hand I think you are the only one that feels Kawasaki would screwup the engineering of a great light sport tourer because some may want shaft drive, within the same brand that is a Concours.

When I started to read and contribute to your threads I ignored the silly attitude you displayed and attempted to help and understand your personality. Early on some members questioned you might be a rookie rider, and you took great offense. But since then I have come to recognize they are correct. Your lack of knowledge about bike features, as in this post, displays your lack of experience. That is not a sin, we were all rookies once, some still are. And nothing wrong with rookies asking questions, even if they are a bit weird. Pretending to be something you are not is annoying. But hey, this is the internet. Announcing that you missed a gear must be your way of getting attention. No more attention.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Announcing that I missed a gear is wanting attention? What a jerk. Maybe I shared it to see
if anyone else had the experience, of if maybe there was something that needed adjustment on my bike. I'm sure you've never done it! haha. People like you ruin forums, because other people see what garbage they might get if they say something. Yes, please, no more attention from you, thank you, or your sidekick Cannon, who tells me to just shut up and be thankful someone cares about me. Like I said, you are too full of yourself. Too arrogant to let people ask a simple question, like "can we brake in a curve" And what's your's and Cannon's response, "Oh no, he gonna kill himself" Turns out MFS says don't, but Kawasaki says you can. Another good question that has to suffer through the insults of you and Cannon. This N1K forum may already be on its last breath, because of you. And you think your totally blameless and innocent in these regards. That's understandable when someones head gets too big.

·
Registered
683 Posts
In all actuality, messing with your chain every 400 miles is way too much maintenance. With modern good quality chains the maintenance is much less often than that. If you're not riding in the rain & dirt every day I've taken to lubing the chain maybe once every 1k miles, cleaning twice a year and when I'm on a trip, I don't worry about it much. Did a 3k mile trip to southern CA last year and lubed it before and after the trip. Since getting way more casual about chain maintenance (I used to be an every 500 mile guy) I haven't really noticed much loss of chain life. Still getting 25k-30k miles. My OEM chain only lasted 19k miles but I figure Kawi used the one from the lowest bidder. I'm a DID ZVMX fan and have never had less than 25k miles no matter how abusive I've been.
If you can't live without worrying about the chain get a Scottoiler and forget about the chain completely. I had one on my 2011 Ninja and never cleaned/lubed the chain once (just when I washed the bike I rinsed it off) in 30k+ miles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See the response my Missed a Shift discussion got, Eagle? Still think you got everything figured out?
Just doing it for attention? I'm glad I shared it. One of my main goals it to help others ride better and safer.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Cuda bob, I thought about mention the shift lever adjustment. I thought the stock bike had it set too high and it made shifting a challenge. You can lower it with a 10mm wrench. I didnt mention it because you said you had a z 1000. That uses the same lever, and the same linkage.

If you didnt figure it out then, why would now be any different?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all actuality, messing with your chain every 400 miles is way too much maintenance. With modern good quality chains the maintenance is much less often than that. If you're not riding in the rain & dirt every day I've taken to lubing the chain maybe once every 1k miles, cleaning twice a year and when I'm on a trip, I don't worry about it much. Did a 3k mile trip to southern CA last year and lubed it before and after the trip. Since getting way more casual about chain maintenance (I used to be an every 500 mile guy) I haven't really noticed much loss of chain life. Still getting 25k-30k miles. My OEM chain only lasted 19k miles but I figure Kawi used the one from the lowest bidder. I'm a DID ZVMX fan and have never had less than 25k miles no matter how abusive I've been.
If you can't live without worrying about the chain get a Scottoiler and forget about the chain completely. I had one on my 2011 Ninja and never cleaned/lubed the chain once (just when I washed the bike I rinsed it off) in 30k+ miles.
Ya, 400 miles seems ridiculous, if the chain isn't even dirty at that time. I'll do 600 for now, as we have dusty days out here occassionally.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bob, I think you are coming across wrong. Lots of your posts just state something very basic and do not ask a question or point at anything leading to people (including myself) thinking that you do not have a lot of experience - Missed a shift, looking through a curve, can I brake in a turn as the bike has cornering ABS, etc.

You already answered my question that you had a lot of bikes before, you didn't answer my follow up question as to how long you have been riding?

I would suggest that you do not use the forum as a dairy to your future self - "missed a shift, remember to be more firm next time", rather ask people if that is the case with this bike and how can it be resolved. I think you will get more responses then and no one will point fingers at you. My 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.

Happy and safe riding.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob, I think you are coming across wrong. Lots of your posts just state something very basic and do not ask a question or point at anything leading to people (including myself) thinking that you do not have a lot of experience - Missed a shift, looking through a curve, can I brake in a turn as the bike has cornering ABS, etc.

You already answered my question that you had a lot of bikes before, you didn't answer my follow up question as to how long you have been riding?

I would suggest that you do not use the forum as a dairy to your future self - "missed a shift, remember to be more firm next time", rather ask people if that is the case with this bike and how can it be resolved. I think you will get more responses then and no one will point fingers at you. My 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.

Happy and safe riding.
I think if you look at all my posts, you'll see that the large majority are stating a problem or an issue for which I want feedback. And except for a few people, that say things like "why would you ask a question like that", or even worse, "your question shows us you are going to kill yourself", I always get the feedback and help I am seeking. Plus, it's valuable to mention to people when I have or encounter a problem, so that they can be aware of the problem as well.
If my statement about looking through a curve helps one person avoid an accident, then I am happy with that. People that are afraid to ask questions, because of the grief I have been getting with my questions, may end up dead or hurt, because their question or issue was not asked and resolved. My first question, "Can we brake while moving through a curve" got some excellent responses, based on the N1Ks ABS and Traction Control, even though a few felt it was too dangerous for me to be on a bike, because I asked such a question. I suggest that if the critics don't like my questions, just ignore them, and try to refrain from mocking and slander, like 6th graders.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Reminds me of my last ERC (Experienced Rider Class) where the mantra for everyone was "You're not looking far enough around the curve."

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think if you look at all my posts, you'll see that the large majority are stating a problem or an issue for which I want feedback. And except for a few people, that say things like "why would you ask a question like that", or even worse, "your question shows us you are going to kill yourself", I always get the feedback and help I am seeking. Plus, it's valuable to mention to people when I have or encounter a problem, so that they can be aware of the problem as well.
If my statement about looking through a curve helps one person avoid an accident, then I am happy with that. People that are afraid to ask questions, because of the grief I have been getting with my questions, may end up dead or hurt, because their question or issue was not asked and resolved. My first question, "Can we brake while moving through a curve" got some excellent responses, based on the N1Ks ABS and Traction Control, even though a few felt it was too dangerous for me to be on a bike, because I asked such a question. I suggest that if the critics don't like my questions, just ignore them, and try to refrain from mocking and slander, like 6th graders.
For example, look at the response to my statement about desiring shaft drive: "It doesn't make sense to me, I guess I'm missing something. If you feel chain maintenance is a pain and would rather have shaft drive so your rear wheel would be cleaner, why would you ever by an NIK? No, never mind, I understand!!" I'm really getting sick of answers like this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Happy and safe riding.
And my statement about missed a shift got me feedback that allowed my to solve the problem with an adjustment to the shift lever position. My statement was not just a diary to my future self.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Happy and safe riding.
Agurudev, answer a question for me. What is wrong with me asking "Can we brake while going through a curve, given our ABS and IMU and Traction Control" Why does this question show that I might kill myself, and that I possibly might have inadequate riding experience, and that I should be thankful someone cares for me?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts