Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys read about this new Sena helmet that is set to come out this spring? If Sena can do what it claims with this helmet, and if the helmet quality is good and safe, they might have a winner. Let me know what you guys think, and if any of you are as interested as I am to try this new technology.

http://www.sena.com/product/noise-control-helmet/

thanks,
Adam

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I wonder what the price will be. Seeing as how it's all carbon fiber, I'm sure the tag will be a bit higher than most will be willing to pay. Having said that, people who do some serious long distance riding may think it's well worth that price tag.

·
Registered
156 Posts
For me, it's hard enough to find the "perfect" helmet, not to mention finding one that also has the communication device that you love as well. Right now, I have the best helmet I've every owned and added the Sena 20S system to that. The 20S does several things really well but so far, I've been a bit disappointed in the group intercom feature. I imagine Sena will continue to improve this technology over time. Personally, I wouldn't hold out for the Sena noise-cancelling helmet anytime soon.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd be interested depending on the price but I tend to buy only modular helmets. A quiet helmet has to deal with so many issues. A helmet may be quiet on one bike but different aero on another makes it noisy. The thing that tends to help a lot is a tighter collar and sealing around the base near your neck.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I'd be interested depending on the price but I tend to buy only modular helmets. A quiet helmet has to deal with so many issues. A helmet may be quiet on one bike but different aero on another makes it noisy. The thing that tends to help a lot is a tighter collar and sealing around the base near your neck.
^^ This ^^

Completely true, especially that last point.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
price??

This helmet is going to be in the $700-800 price range, which puts it in line with some of the higher end helmets. I usually go with modular myself, but to get a good helmet that is quiet with the availability of integrated bluetooth is intriguing. I just wonder what the fit will be.

Adam

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been seeing $600-800, so it may be a bit lower. I'm very anxiously awaiting its release and review. Very much hoping this is a winner as I'd love to have a quiet environment without plugs AND with cleanly integrated Bluetooth capability.

·
Registered
370 Posts
For me, it's hard enough to find the "perfect" helmet, not to mention finding one that also has the communication device that you love as well. Right now, I have the best helmet I've every owned and added the Sena 20S system to that. The 20S does several things really well but so far, I've been a bit disappointed in the group intercom feature. I imagine Sena will continue to improve this technology over time. Personally, I wouldn't hold out for the Sena noise-cancelling helmet anytime soon.
A group of us have added the SENA 20S system to our helmets for riding. With 2-3 units, the group intercom feature works well enough, but with 4-5 units it fails randomly and is very noisy. We finally found that pairing the units in a daisy-chain configuration works much better and is stable. When we meet for a day ride, or every morning of a longer trip, we first do a factory reset on all units and then pair the units one at a time based on our riding order to minimize distances between units as much as possible -- the first rider pairs with the second rider, then the second rider pairs with the third rider, and so on. When all are paired in this sequence, all units can hear and talk to all the others. It really is a great way to go. The advantage of this method is that no one unit has to support the entire communication bandwidth, which is the problem with the group intercom method. Group intercom works okay for 2-3 units only. Further, with the recent firmware update, we noticed that the background noise seemed less annoying and that the voice quality was much improved, enough to turn the volume down somewhat and further minimize the background noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A group of us have added the SENA 20S system to our helmets for riding. With 2-3 units, the group intercom feature works well enough, but with 4-5 units it fails randomly and is very noisy. We finally found that pairing the units in a daisy-chain configuration works much better and is stable. When we meet for a day ride, or every morning of a longer trip, we first do a factory reset on all units and then pair the units one at a time based on our riding order to minimize distances between units as much as possible -- the first rider pairs with the second rider, then the second rider pairs with the third rider, and so on. When all are paired in this sequence, all units can hear and talk to all the others. It really is a great way to go. The advantage of this method is that no one unit has to support the entire communication bandwidth, which is the problem with the group intercom method. Group intercom works okay for 2-3 units only. Further, with the recent firmware update, we noticed that the background noise seemed less annoying and that the voice quality was much improved, enough to turn the volume down somewhat and further minimize the background noise.
This sounds very interesting and I can't wait to try it with our group next time. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
711 Posts
TL:DR

I'm more interested in crash testing than I am silence. I'd rather have a head protected and use add-ons than a head unprotected with fancy gear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Bilt Bluetooth helmet and I've went down the interstate talking on my phone a few times and I wasn't exactly doing the speed limit. I would think if they are able to cancel or at least lower the wind and road noise then you wouldn't need the volume up as much to do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think helmets will be the next big area for high tech advancements. Noise reduction, communication, road information, and maybe info linked from your bike up to a heads up display. The possibilities for apps seem almost limitless.

It will be interesting to see how this tech evolves and what the market will support and at what price.

Of course with more info competing for your attention, there is the possibility for distraction which is not a good thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I saw the video on the Scully Helmet that Blutengel posted. The tech is really cool but I would still say you have to get used it and could possibly be distracted by it. I did like the capability of providing directions- "turn here" being voiced to you as well as giving you info on the HUD.

I think this tech will eventually take off when the prices come down. In time, we'll all probably can't imagine how we got along without it once it's common place like smart phones are now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts