Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,061 Posts
I dont believe Sargent uses gel of any kind, do they? Yes, I should have had the 1 inch of extra foam but I had no idea they could do that for reasonable money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

Quick recap. On my 2012 Z1000, I quickly upgraded the seats to Corbin. Huge upgrade on the stock.

In 2017, I bought the new Ninja1000. The seats were way better than the stock on the Z, so we decided to keep them. But this year, with 35000km on the clock, maybe because we got older, our bum suffered a bit more. Based on my experience with Corbin, I ordered a set, both front and rear. But somehow, the front seat doesn't fit. I'm shipping them back tomorrow.

Sargent doesn't make the rear so it's no option. Or my wife won't ride with me... hmmm... note to self: think about that for a while...

So how about Kawasaki's gel seat?

On a 2006 Suzuki SV1000S, I had bought the gel seat and seem to remember it was not so bad at all...

Any experience with the Kawi gel seats? Are they any good? Did some of you bought them?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, ride safe.

JFS.
Hi. I had a 2015 Z1000SX and I now have a 2020 Ninja 1000SX. Essentially they're the same bike and I found they both had pretty uncomfortable seats. I got an auto upholsterer to remove the original covers of both seats on the 2015, take off the original foam, replace it with memory foam, and put on slightly grippier covers. The pillion seat needed 2.5cm/1inch of foam (about twice the original depth). Total price in 2015 NZ$750/US$500/GB375.

For the 2020 I just had the rider's seat done (my wife won't go on the bike any more). This time he was able to re-use the original cover. Price NZ$250/US170/GB125. Time taken from rolling into the workshop to rolling out: about two hours.

On both occasions he trimmed the memory foam to suit my needs, which included trying it out a coupe of times before putting the covers on. Worth every penny, and I'd do it again rather than buy a gel seat, strap on "taxi-beads" or air-bags. However, the auto trimmer I use does an average of one bike seat a day and has been in the trade for forty years, so I'm prepared to complete a fourteen hour round trip get it done...
... plus it's a good excuse to go for a decent ride ;)

Hope this helps.

PS First mod on a bike is always heated grips, the seat comes a close second because you can't ride well if you can't feel your fingers or your backside!

·
Premium Member
14,061 Posts
57x, that was the same experience had ..and this wasn't like a hot seast cover. This was heating pad style heat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tried many seats for my Ninja,

1. Stock seat-not great.
2. Kawasaki Gel Seat-I didn't notice the blazing heat that everyone describes. I guess it doesn't get sun if your sitting on it but it was not comfortable for me nor did it extend the riding range beyond the stock seat.
3. Top Sellery-Had one on my Yamaha FZ6-It was marvelous. Bought a TS for the Ninja, 1 piece, didn't fit well and it was too expensive to ship back for alterations. The seat pushed me really close to the tank.
4. Made my own gel seat from a stock seat pan with a Luimoto cover and Gold Gel insert. Looked great but the seat pushed against my hamstrings reducing riding time.
5. Tried no seat. Hurt, weird patterns on my ***-not recommended.
6. Air Hawk air cushion-Awesome for slabbing, hinders movement on twisties. I use this frequently and it can move to other bikes..
7. Sargent front seat. Great. Preferred seat. And for long slabs, put the Air Hawk on.

Best wishes, Randy

21 - 25 of 25 Posts