Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Quick recap. On my 2012 Z1000, I quickly upgraded the seats to Corbin. Huge upgrade on the stock.

In 2017, I bought the new Ninja1000. The seats were way better than the stock on the Z, so we decided to keep them. But this year, with 35000km on the clock, maybe because we got older, our bum suffered a bit more. Based on my experience with Corbin, I ordered a set, both front and rear. But somehow, the front seat doesn't fit. I'm shipping them back tomorrow.

Sargent doesn't make the rear so it's no option. Or my wife won't ride with me... hmmm... note to self: think about that for a while...

So how about Kawasaki's gel seat?

On a 2006 Suzuki SV1000S, I had bought the gel seat and seem to remember it was not so bad at all...

Any experience with the Kawi gel seats? Are they any good? Did some of you bought them?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, ride safe.

JFS.

Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
Haven't used Gel seats, so can't comment on that option.
But another option that I have tried is the Air Hawk seat pad:-
Relatively cheap and can be transferred between bikes.
I found it to work as advertised.
Recommended that you don't use too much air, it works well with minimal inflation which keeps it from raising your seat height.
The only disadvantage I found is that it feels a bit 'loose' if you move your bum side to side while cornering.
I think RevZilla sell them.
Cheers
MM

Reactions: Brian60

Registered
2017 Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Suzuki M109R
Have you checked out Top Sellerie/Bagster? My girlfriend has a 2014 Z1000 and we've tried several seats (Corbin, KonTour, Professionally modified seat and modifying the seat ourselves) the only one that she actually likes is the Bagster/Top Sellerie seat. Gel or no gel was the debate at the time I purchased the seat too, seems like gel had become less popular due to holding so much heat when it's in direct sun light and being stiff/cold when it's colder. I chose not to use gel and use the Bultex foam, as they couldn't use both. Myself, I have a KonTour modified Yamaha comfort seat on my FZ-10 and am happy with it.

Registered
Really hate to get drawn into a topic so dependent on personal preference, but here goes. I have the gel seat on my 2017. I debated long and hard about it, but I was surprised to find I was pretty pleased. YMMV. No opinion from my wife because she hasn't been on the passenger one.

For context: I've changed the factory seat in virtually every bike I've had, and I've had a number of Corbin's, Sargents. Custom Bill Mayer, local custom, etc., so I'm with you on how much difference a good seat can make. I also know that gel seats are really no substitute for a well-contoured custom seat, but what can I say? If it breaks down I鈥檒l look at the custom options again, but I have about 6000 miles on it. The only other gel seat I've been happy with was one on the 2004 GSX R750, but that was a bike where there was more need to move around on the seat smoothly and customs tended to lock you in place. Might be easy to sell if you didn't like it.

Registered
Man, some of those Top Sellerie seats look comfy! Cool looking designs too.

Would your wife ever consider her own bike? Probably not going to be very comfortable on the passenger seat for very long regardless of cushion due to its small size. But I have been known to be wrong at times.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would your wife ever consider her own bike?
Well no. She barely drives a car. She loves to ride backseat though. To give you an idea, we toured in the Rockies in 2017 with this bike, we did 5500 km in 13 days. She managed... So did I actually. But we get older...

Registered
That's a pretty decent trip y'all took. Did you have any sort of backrest for her to lean against? Whether you did or not she sounds tougher than me! Hope you find what makes you both happy.

Registered
The 2020 seat is a big improvement for me. We need to find out if it will retrofit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2020 seat is a big improvement for me. We need to find out if it will retrofit.
According to Kawasaki web site, the gel seats part number is the same for both 2017 and 2020...

Did you have any sort of backrest for her to lean against?
Not really I obviously had the hard paniers, and I fitted a top box but she did not really used as backrest. I also added a grab bar on the tank held by the fuel cap mount. I had bought this for the Z and just kept the part when I upgraded. She uses it for accelerations and braking. (the little tankbag was for heavy stuff, upgraded tool kit, snapjack, that kind of stuff)

Registered
I have been using the OEM Gel seat for two years now. It鈥檚 a significant upgrade in comfort (and looks, if you鈥檙e so inclined!). I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 increased my saddle time by 35% at the minimum before needing a break. Recovery time off the saddle is much shorter than with stock seat. It鈥檚 in the league of 鈥榮upportive-comfortable鈥 in terms of butt feel. Easy to move your butt side to side on the twisties. It鈥檚 edges are beautifully rounded so they don鈥檛 dig into the outside of the thighs.

I don鈥檛 understand why some folks say it heats up in the sun, I live in India and by general consensus, it can get somewhat hot here. Never felt bothered with the gel seat in summer riding. Nor does it become hard in the winters. I鈥檓 up north here and regularly ride in 50 degree Fahrenheit and feel no difference in the comfort.

I鈥檝e sat on the 2020 N1K (not ridden) and agree that the stock seat is the best so far on this bike. However, I made two quick observations, first that the edges are well defined with a distinct ridge which I felt along the side of the thighs too as I sat on the bike. Second, while it felt very comfortable in the initial impression, I feel it鈥檚 definitely softer and more yielding than the OEM Gel seat and in my opinion, that鈥檚 not necessarily a good thing for long distance comfort. Personally, I prefer supportive-comfort to soft-comfort.

Good luck to you in your decision!

Registered
I think Kawasaki changed the design over the years. I put a gel seat on my 2011 and you could hardly tell the difference.

Registered
Bikram, my gel seat gets hot enough to cook on. Eggs? Bacon..maybe even a steak if the outside temp is over 90.

The few times I took the bike to work, the seat was too hot to sit on without discomfort. And it stayed hot for hours. That was through a pair of fire resistant pants. You guys who ride naked would have more of an issue.

Like Mark said, I think there are different vendors who build this seat and different construction methods.

I know Yamaha did this with their GYTR racing exhaust systems. They would post an offer for the various vendors to build exhaust systems. It made things very difficult to compare. I would say the gytr pipe sucked, at low revs and someone else would say it pulled like a freight train. Both of us were correct since the only thing the pipes had in common was the gytr sticker.

Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
I have been using the OEM Gel seat for two years now.
Hey Bikram, can I ask if you bought the OEM gel seat locally? If yes, which dealer please? TIA

Registered
Bikram, my gel seat gets hot enough to cook on. Eggs? Bacon..maybe even a steak if the outside temp is over 90.

The few times I took the bike to work, the seat was too hot to sit on without discomfort. And it stayed hot for hours. That was through a pair of fire resistant pants. You guys who ride naked would have more of an issue.

Like Mark said, I think there are different vendors who build this seat and different construction methods.

I know Yamaha did this with their GYTR racing exhaust systems. They would post an offer for the various vendors to build exhaust systems. It made things very difficult to compare. I would say the gytr pipe sucked, at low revs and someone else would say it pulled like a freight train. Both of us were correct since the only thing the pipes had in common was the gytr sticker.
RC, I'd struggle to toast bread on my seat.

I'm surprised at your experience. You must be correct in the assumption of different materials/method of construction used by vendors Kawasaki may have employed over the years.

Reactions: rcannon409

Registered
Reactions: agurudev

Registered

RC, I'd struggle to toast bread on my seat.

I'm surprised at your experience. You must be correct in the assumption of different materials/method of construction used by vendors Kawasaki may have employed over the years.
I remember one afternoon. It was 95-100 and the gel seat had been in the sun from 6am to about 5pm. At the first stop light, I rode up on to the sidewalk so I could keep moving and stand up on the pegs. It was too hot to sit.
I stopped into a store and the clerk gave me some 32 oz cups to fill with ice. That really didnt help as the gel really held the heat. I finally grabbed a bunch of the paper towels to sit on.

I wonder if the later seats might have some insulation over the gel?

Registered

I wonder if the later seats might have some insulation over the gel?
RC, I鈥檇 be loath to open up the seat to check that.

Does your seat appear the same externally as in the link I鈥檝e posted above? Mine looks exactly like that. The rear seat has 鈥楴inja鈥 embossed on its rump.

Registered
Bikram, yes. My seat set looks the same as the link. I complained of this, years ago and Mark wondered what the heck I was talking about. Hes in Arkansas...a place that's much hotter than where I am, and he said his seat didnt get hot. We visually compared our two seats and there was no difference. We never could explain why.

I ended up buying a Sargent seat and I really like it. I asked for the dtx cover. It works really well, its comfortable, and it doesnt get hot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts