Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ok I know I'm just harping on the topic and it's been discussed time and time again. However I finally will have some extra cash I don't mind spending (tax return) for a seat. It's no secret the stock seat is hard and pushes you forward. So I wanna take a poll what I'm your opinions do you believe to be the best seat most comfortable I've narrowed it down to... Factory gel seats, Corbin, or seargent.(I know sending the stock seat out to be tailored is probably the best but I don't wanna go that road) and......GO!

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
May I vote no to factory gel? Its not really any more comfortable than stock. Also, unless its 70 degrees, and in the shade the gel is awful. It stays super hot, or super cold way longer than normal foam. Its well built, great cover, and all that, but I dont believe gel has any use as an outdoor seating platform.

My seargent was semi ok. Well built, and light. Drawback was it felt like a tractor seat. There was a definite pocket I was supposed to sit in. For me, that pocket was a few inches too far to the rear. Also, it felt odd when I was at a stoplight. The sides were not profiled correctly. I sold it as soon as I could. For me, it was still far superior to the factory gel.

My next purchase will be to send the stock seat to spencers and see what he can do.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May I vote no to factory gel? Its not really any more comfortable than stock. Also, unless its 70 degrees, and in the shade the gel is awful. It stays super hot, or super cold way longer than normal foam. Its well built, great cover, and all that, but I dont believe gel has any use as an outdoor seating platform.

My seargent was semi ok. Well built, and light. Drawback was it felt like a tractor seat. There was a definite pocket I was supposed to sit in. For me, that pocket was a few inches too far to the rear. Also, it felt odd when I was at a stoplight. The sides were not profiled correctly. I sold it as soon as I could. For me, it was still far superior to the factory gel.

My next purchase will be to send the stock seat to spencers and see what he can do.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
I appreciate the quick response I've been reading up on reviews and I talked to a guy on here that sent his to seth laam and raved about them he said front and rear was 350 and he has no discomfort now what so ever and he doesn't slide into the tank anymore I think I may go that route

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd still consider doing the stock seat. The local guy did a great job on mine. I saw a Seth Laam setup and it looked way to Goldwingish for me. I don't want a bucket, or deep pocket, I want to be able to move around as needed.

I also had mine built higher which gave me more legroom on long trips. A BIG plus in my book.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My personal opinion for my 2011 N1k; I spent quite a bit (can't remember how much) on the factory gel seat and did not notice any improvements.

·
Registered
462 Posts

Page 1
rcannon, I've sent an email to Frank about 3 weeks ago and he said that our seat is too thin to work on especially the rear one.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like Sargent and Corbin. I've used both brands on previous bikes. For my 2015 N1K, I went with Baldwin this time. The seat base is different for the 4th gen models; it took two tries to get the right one (older seats have a different base), but the company made good on their product. The shaping is good and it doesn't push me into the tank. It also has better padding, but not too soft. I'm good in the saddle for an entire tank of fuel on the N1K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Top Saddlery from France makes the best gel all-day- comfort seats.

Custom designed to your specifications.

No *** burn and great hip support.

Costly shipping from France is what keeps the US buyer turning to inferior seats like Corbin and Sargent. If you see one used for sale, snap it up quick. Check out the web site

Top Sellerie - Deluxe seats for motorcycles, petrol tank covers, tank bags and scooter leg covers [Rates for an order from : UNITED STATES]

If this leads to a spirited discussion by the Corbin/Sargent/what ever else crowd, its only because they have not ridden on one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The seat on my new N1K was not to my liking. I tried Seth Lamm's alteration and agree with others here that it's cruiseresque looking and the big tractor seat feel wasn't right for me, not on a sportbike. I felt it was also too firm. His craftsmanship is outstanding though. So, I went on E-bay and bought a well used seat stock seat and it's great. The forward tilt is not an issue anymore. Maybe they just need breaking in. I think probably slightly shaving the rear top surface of the stock seat is where I would start with a new seat. If you're gonna send it out to somebody else to carve on, try it your self first, what the hey.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The seat on my new N1K was not to my liking. I tried Seth Lamm's alteration and agree with others here that it's cruiseresque looking and the big tractor seat feel wasn't right for me, not on a sportbike. I felt it was also too firm. His craftsmanship is outstanding though. So, I went on E-bay and bought a well used seat stock seat and it's great. The forward tilt is not an issue anymore. Maybe they just need breaking in. I think probably slightly shaving the rear top surface of the stock seat is where I would start with a new seat. If you're gonna send it out to somebody else to carve on, try it your self first, what the hey.
Hmmm now there's a thought maybe I will try shaping it a little and recovering it myself

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
rcannon, I've sent an email to Frank about 3 weeks ago and he said that our seat is too thin to work on especially the rear one.

He told me he could HELP with the front. I think he pushes the "eject" button if you ask for a 100% solution. From what he described, its like the way Dr's help AIDS patients. No, they cant cure you, but they can improve your quality of life.

I'll bet thats true with the passenger seat. There really is not much there.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you have short legs, then reshaping the stock seat might be helpful. I was much happier by having the nose of the seat built up. I got more legroom, better foam, and my chestnuts aren't going numb from being against the tank all the time. I can actually move back and forth easier AND I had the sides rounded a bit more than stock so it is easier to move left and right and removed the sharper edge that annoyed me at times.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"sharper edge that annoyed me at times" yeah, that is an understatement.

Being a lady with shorter arms than you, I'm ok with sitting forward. I'm not ok with the sharp edges, and was surprised to feel that on my cool new bike. OW.

I'm leaning towards the gel seat for now. Sent a couple of pm's out, hope to get a lead on a great used one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just checked the Baldwin site... They must be pretty good seats for what they charge.
they are excellent and worth every penny.i have one on my concourse 14 which
is my go to long distance bike. they are very popular with the guys over on the
concourse owners group forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Update: gel seat arrived last week. I've ridden 225 miles on it in 2 outs. Huge improvement over stock.
No more sharp edges or butt fire.

Fyi, i had pulled the clear bra off my tank the last ride on stock seat, redid it after without the bubbles. I see what the fuss is about now. Unpleasant smoosh slide into the tank on stock seat.

Maybe a tank grip of some sort, even something inexpensive like ebay clear bra, will help you. Maybe that's why i like the gel seat.

Will update when it gets hot out if i get a summer sun butt fire.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Going to chime in here a bit .. also read lots on the seat options for my '13 N1K.

I, too, use to get the 'hot spots' after 30-45 min of riding. But, after I put in some seat time, my rear finally 'got in shape'. Then, I could go my normal 1-1/2 hr of long trip riding B4 my usual fill up stops.

Maybe being an ex-MX'r and being used to thinner seats helped me.

Good points are made about not wanting/liking the pockets or saddles created by some of the other after market seats.

But, if you can ride past the pain thresholds, there's some merits to having a relatively thin stock seat. It will allow you better movement while riding for weight re-distribution upon entering/exiting corners, coming to red light stops (brief periods of leg shakes/rest), allowing you to get some weight up off your derriere to the balls of your feet over bumps without the being held back by pocket or saddle sides or having your weight affixed a little too far to the back and other maneuverability benefits that can go a long way in riding the Ninja to exploit its features it has to offer.

The pockets and saddle types I think are perfect for those slab excursions like on the Wings or Connies where you can just sit back and enjoy more of the scenery. But, for me anyway, I like to ride mine and be a little more in tune with the road surface, get some weight shifting here and there and become one with the experience at the moment.

Painful at the start? Yep. But, give it a go for a bit and see how you feel.

Then, if it doesn't work, some of the helpful hints above may be your ticket !

Good luck !

·
Registered
828 Posts
Problem with the stock seat for me is it slides me into the tank all the time, not easy to move around because of that. The edges are sharp too. So I had the stock seat redone. I had the front raised and the sides chamfered more.

So my nuts aren't being buzzed to death, I can easily slide back or front as well as side to side. I have more legroom as well. I went with different foam that helps and I can ride 700 miles in a day and still not mind sitting down when I get off the bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts