Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck with reshaping or shaving down the stock seat? I'm a little short in the inseam and want to know what kind of results people are getting if they go this route. It seems most custom seats raise the seat height .5-1.0 inches and I'm already on absolute tiptoes at the current height.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
I remember reading someone's post where they took the advice of a upholstery shop and only narrowed their seat foam at the edges and did not thin it at all in the middle. Almost certain they said it helped more then they had anticipated. If I come across it again I'll link it.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
If you look on eBay, Kawasaki has a short seat for the ninja1000. It was pretty cheap, too. Maybe not even worth messing with a custom deal?

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look on eBay, Kawasaki has a short seat for the ninja1000. It was pretty cheap, too. Maybe not even worth messing with a custom deal?
I'm finding that seat for 2017-2018 models, but not prior years. Do you know if the seat mounting and compatibility is different for 2016s?

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
This is just a guess, but I don't think the seat really changed enough to matter. I bet you could use that older seat, no,problem. Sargent seat shows their seat as fitting all years. No reason why this would be different.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I remember reading someone's post where they took the advice of a upholstery shop and only narrowed their seat foam at the edges and did not thin it at all in the middle. Almost certain they said it helped more then they had anticipated. If I come across it again I'll link it.
100% accurate (as usual). So many people talk about reducing the thickness of the foam on the seat, but in most cases, shaving it so its narrower does the trick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have any luck with reshaping or shaving down the stock seat? I'm a little short in the inseam and want to know what kind of results people are getting if they go this route. It seems most custom seats raise the seat height .5-1.0 inches and I'm already on absolute tiptoes at the current height.
I’m planning to shave my seat very soon.
I came off a 04 bmw k1200rs which had a seat height of 30.3 inches, the 1000sx is 32.1 and I can almost flatfoot it. I felt more secure on the BMW being 5’8.
Years ago I worked at a Auto upholstery shop performing many seat mods on bikes and race car bucket seats. We did a lot of restoration as well by removing the old horse hair and crumbling foam.
I will start with shaving off 1/2 inch off the sharp side edges first ( narrowing the front 1/2 of the seat ) and lowering it by 1 inch with an electric carving knife with a new blade. ( the blades dull quickly ) I can always trim more if needed. Depending how smooth the foam ends up after cutting I may add a thin layer of smoothing foam.
Once I find the right amount of shaving, I’ll glue the smoothing foam to the seat foam and install the cover.
If I “F” it up, I can always buy a new low seat from kaw or an aftermarket.
Stay tuned and I’ll let you all know how well it works for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've shaved quite a few dirt bike seats. A couple of them I went a bit too far and ended up with a teeth rattler. Last one like that was a Beta 300RR. On a dirt bike it's not as as big a deal, as I'm not sitting on the seat all the time. Have not done one on a road bike, mostly because they are not 36" or 37" tall like some dirt bikes. I did just buy this gel pad Amazon.com: Lisyline Motorcycle Seat Gel Pad Shock Absorption Mats Reduce Fatigue Comfortable Soft Cooling Fabric Cushion Blue Cool DIY Saddle (25 x 22 x 1cm): Automotive for experimenting on the stock N1k seat. I actually have both the Sargent and Corbin, so dinking with the stock seat isn't really a necessity, but I kinda wanted to try the gel pad to see if it helps with reducing the buzz. I have no problem with the N1k stock seat height, so I'll likely keep the thickness the same, and maybe just recontour a bit after inserting the gel pad, where I think it'll help. Anyhow, this one is low on my priority list, so it may be a while before I get around to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your suspension down. I was considering a seat change and suspension mod but was able to bring the seat height down by adjusting the suspension. I went from tippy toes to flat footing after the adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I did adjust sag to bout 40 mm. I have the suspension set on the soft side while I’m still in the break in period. This past weekend I shaved my seat and I’m please on the end result. I had to order a pneumatic stapler to fully seat the staple in the plastic seat pan. It is funny how the new contour resembles the seat on my old K1200rs. The pics posted are before sanding and minor tweaks. It felt great for a 30 min ride. Time will tell.
I’ll add a picture of the finished product
once I get the cover on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts