Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the stock grips on my 2015 N1K today with some new progrips with dual compound, and I accidentally hit the tank with my knife as I was cutting off the stock grips. There is a pretty good scratch through the clear coat and paint about an inch long on the left side of the tank. What are my options to fix the scratch, cover the scratch, or protect the exposed metal. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The new grips are progrip 724s, and I'll give a report on them once I've had a chance to try them out. The black and green look good with my black ninja.
Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
See if the dealer has the touch up paint in the pen like you can get for car paint and try that, only other option would be to have the tank repainted.unless the scratch is low enough you could get one of those tank oad sets that has the grips that apply to the side of your tank

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Colorite touch-up kit

I just ordered a touch up kit from colorite that should match the OEM paint on my 2015 N1K. I'll let you guys know if this kit works well to fix my tank scratch. I'll try to post before and after pics.

Adam

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!!

Just wanted to let you guys know that the colorite paint repair kit for our Ninjas works beautifully. The color match for my black metallic was spot on. The kit comes with primer pen, paint pen, and clear coat pen. Also includes rubbing compound, alcohol pads, and very fine grit sandpaper to make sure you have all the possible tools you need. The spot on my tank isn't 100% perfect, but it looks much better, maybe 95%..

Adam

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I wish you would do a video on how to use the three step AND make it look ok. I've had trouble with using small enough amounts of any of the **** they send in the package.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
process

I had issues with that as well, and I definitely don't have a good enough technique to instruct on video. It took me three times of touch-up to get the color and the clear coat right. Then I had to use the sandpaper provided to gently wet sand the spot to smooth things out. Then I had to use rubbing compound and clear coat wax to finish it off. What I do like about this kit, is that the color match was perfect. My scratch is barely noticeable, and the metal that was exposed by the deep scratch is protected. I'll post pics, but I didn't get a pick of the scratch before I fixed it.

Adam

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Still well worth seeing if your willing to take a pic.
+1 on seeing it!

I just ordered some Metallic Spark Black touch-up paint from Colorrite.
I didn't bother with primer or clear coat (I do have some leftover from a previous order if need be).
As RC points out, trying to fit 3 layers of paint into small scratches/dings is right near impossible. Would likely look worse. :)

Btw, the original owner of Colorrite has started up a new company called TouchupDirect.com. I haven't dealt with them, but wanted to mention in case anyone was looking for an alternative.

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the pick of my finished repair. I wish I had a pic of the scratch before. It was a deep scratch to the metal about .5". You can only see the spot if you look hard or know it's there. The hardest part was blending everything. Like I said before, this isn't perfect, but the metal is protected and it looks pretty good. I also touched up a spot on the engine cover from my one and only drop. That spot just needed the paint pen.
thanks,
Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a small ding on my tank and might look into the colorite pens to fix it since they want like 250-500 to paint my tank at local shops here. Both places I went to recommended I paint the whole tank, but that is probably because thats the only way to get a perfect finish..I think I can live with spending $50 on a kit and just fix the small ding myself.

·
Registered
711 Posts
When you use the pens they can be a little difficult for sharp deep scratches - use a toothpick getting the paint from the end of the pen or brush
That's some good advice, never thought of that.

I'd always said - in the body shop world - that touching up sharp scratches rarely looks good because you end up getting paint on the edges/ridge.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Looks pretty good in the picture,,.

I might add that the metallic paint adds a level of difficulty as well!!

Someone invented a miracle color wax that Ive purchased, the idea is good,,. It wipes away and only fills the scratch, it dosnt last though!!

That's some good advice, never thought of that.

I'd always said - in the body shop world - that touching up sharp scratches rarely looks good because you end up getting paint on the edges/ridge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts