Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 N1K
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this (Scorpion EXO-R1 Air Carbon) helmet after reading all of the reviews (esp. Fortnine's and WebbikeWorld, who reviewed this helmet 3 times!) because it's extremely reasonably priced for an FIM-caliber*, carbon fiber helmet with an inflatable air bladder, that is also quiet. The online reviews were slightly mixed on the level of noise, many said it was very quiet but a few did not. I think head shape and fit probably accounted for the variances. I find it to be much more quiet than my HJC RPHA 11 Pro. It also feels more aerodynamic, because it feels like it doesn't get buffeted around as much as the HJC (unless I turn my head sideways, and then I feel like I just stuck my head out of a car window while in motion!

It's very comfortable for my 58mm - 58.5mm head (in size Large for this, and most, helmets). It's not as plush as my older (sold) Arai Quantum, but it is nice. It feels very light compared to everything else I've owned. I didn't weight mine; in Large one review has it at 1360 grams (170 grams lighter than the non-carbon version in the same size). My HJC is heavier...I couldn't find a weight on that one in Large.

It flows a lot of air, I actually felt a breeze on top of my head! I haven't played with the inner or outer chin vents (there are 2 sets!).

* After reading everything I could find, it appears that only the Size:Small version of this helmet was submitted to FIM for qualification. Technically, it is ECE 22.05 and DOT certified (although mine doesn't have a DOT sticker : )). I got it in 4 days from Chromeburner (Netherlands) for $404 delivered via FedEx (it was $550 from anywhere in the US, and no one had it in stock), it was very well packed (double boxed) and came with everything as advertised.

Pix of mine!
Sports equipment Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear Automotive tire

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Drinkware Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive design Motorcycle accessories Bumper Fender

Automotive design Automotive lighting Bag Helmet Luggage and bags

Shoe Product Automotive design Grey Font

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

-Oliver

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
202 Posts
I love Scorpion helmets. They fit great and the air bladders in the cheeks help fine tune the fit over the life of the helmet padding. I only wish the speaker cups on mine were just slightly more recessed, but if I were more motivated I could get in there with a hot spoon.

I'm somewhat due for a replacement in the next year or two. My only gripe is the two models I'm interested in with the internal sunshield have a proprietary headset cutout that might not work real well with my existing sena.

·
Registered
2014 N1K
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love Scorpion helmets. They fit great and the air bladders in the cheeks help fine tune the fit over the life of the helmet padding. I only wish the speaker cups on mine were just slightly more recessed, but if I were more motivated I could get in there with a hot spoon.

I'm somewhat due for a replacement in the next year or two. My only gripe is the two models I'm interested in with the internal sunshield have a proprietary headset cutout that might not work real well with my existing sena.
That's too bad about the proprietary cutouts....those comms systems that mate to the proprietary cutouts are all seriously overpriced. I mainly use mine for Waze guidance, lets see if this new one is quite enough that I can actually hear music! I seriously considered the EXO-ST1400 because of the internal sunshade, but chose the R1 for what I think had better airflow into the helmet and lower noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts