Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Pegs were 100% fine from my perspective. Didn't feel any vibes. Slight more buzz in the bars but that will be reduced with the heavier ends.
Proof that there was no need for the rubber

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Whelp, bit the bullet and went with the Sato's as well in black. Excited to be able to "feel" this bike.
I know it hurts in the wallet right now, but you will not regret that purchase.
I put the new bar ends on and all vibration in the bars is gone

·
Registered
67 Posts
yeah, I didn't realize riding with rubber pegs was so numbing. do the OEM bar ends not work with the Apex bars? Lol this is reminding me of the old Harley days, where I ended up replacing almost everything OEM for aftermarket. Oh well, I'm sure my kids don't really need to go to college.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,502 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, RC, I guess I'll need to grab those and some new grips. I just put grip puppies on the OEM grips; I presume I can't re-use my grips on the new bars, right?

·
Premium Member
13,502 Posts
You need the piece that stuffs in the bar. At that point, you can attach whatever bar end you want.

I wouldnt want to lose my HVMP extra heavy bar ends. These things are weapons grade heavy and do a good job of damping vibration. With that said, I'll bet the vibration is less with the new clip ons? Our ninja bar is the cheapest POS steel that was available. Switching those to aluminum has to help? Also, our stock bar riser is overly strong, too. With that fixed, you might not want a heavy bar end?

Bar ends are a cool, cheap experiment. As a baseline, remove them from a stock bike. See how much more the bars vibrate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the Satos and the Apex bars this weekend. I think I'm going to wimp out and have them professionally installed tom make sure I don't eff it up. Those of you that installed either or both, was it pretty straightforward? I see some springs and other attachments in the rearset box that make me think I could screw it up.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You need the piece that stuffs in the bar. At that point, you can attach whatever bar end you want.

I wouldnt want to lose my HVMP extra heavy bar ends. These things are weapons grade heavy and do a good job of damping vibration. With that said, I'll bet the vibration is less with the new clip ons? Our ninja bar is the cheapest POS steel that was available. Switching those to aluminum has to help? Also, our stock bar riser is overly strong, too. With that fixed, you might not want a heavy bar end?

Bar ends are a cool, cheap experiment. As a baseline, remove them from a stock bike. See how much more the bars vibrate.
With no bar end weights, vibration with the APEX was about the same as stock handlebars without the stock bar end weight. Not horrible, but you feel it at higher RPMs. On my '18, the stock setup (stock bars + stock bar end weights) did an excellent job at reducing felt vibration. I made my own internal threaded insert for the APEX handlebars. They'll let me attached the stock bard end weights, if I wanted. I didn't, because the ZX10R mirrors work better if I don't have anything attached to the handlebars, so I just added some thin end plates I bought off Amazon.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I got the Satos and the Apex bars this weekend. I think I'm going to wimp out and have them professionally installed tom make sure I don't eff it up. Those of you that installed either or both, was it pretty straightforward? I see some springs and other attachments in the rearset box that make me think I could screw it up.
Rear sets are easy, just look at the pictures in the directions very closely and be careful with the brake light wires. I did not even unplug it, I just flipped the bracket around and released the the clips on the adjuster nut, the rest is easy as long as you have a good set of tools and good drill bits

·
Premium Member
13,502 Posts
I agree. It's not difficult, and you need to understand them so you can adjust peg and lever position.

Just use loctite 242 on every bolt, nut , fastener....how ever you want to look at it.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Oh yes, X 2 on the Locktite. The rearsets came with a Locktite like package, I did not use it.

·
Premium Member
13,502 Posts
And for the slow people....don't think there's some sort of color code on this crap we call Locktite. One person's blue is another's red....learned the hard way.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts