Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is an Airhawk knock-off.

Just get an Airhawk.

Been using 'em for 15+ years.
The thing is that it's a Made in India product. And for us locals, the owners are highly proactive and they offers complete replacement warranty (not possible due to shipping from Airhawk) and has great reviews from users and costs less than 80$.

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Administrator
422 Posts
I just bought a Sargent for my '17. I have one for my '07 DR650 and it worked wonders. The one on my 1000 works better than the stocker, but after a 4-day, ~1500-mile trip from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque and back, I'm really disappointed in the Sargent. Let me be clear; it isn't so much that my *** is sore as much as the sides of the seat just dig into my upper legs. The 4th day I had to skip a scheduled overnight stay so I ended up riding almost 600 miles that day alone. The pain was murderous. Short of sticking an eyesore like a Day Long on it, are there any other things I can do? I am a bit overweight, but working on that. I won't take this bike on a trip anywhere near that long again without addressing this issue.
I have sort of a bony butt and I felt the Sargent was pretty good on my recent ~3,200 mile trip a couple weeks ago. That being said, I alleviate a large amount of discomfort by laying on my tank bag while at cruising speeds, so that may be a factor. Last year, with a Corbin on the SV (HARD SEAT) I bought one of those gel pads and it helped immensely, when I could keep it in position. I feel like a removable gel pad is probably the best solution for those of us who ride daily but on rare occasion might need a nice cushy seat.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"You purchased your dream bike, saddled up, and hit the road. After a long day getting to know your new best friend something just isn't right. The seat that felt so good on the showroom floor now has your buns screaming, back aching, and just doesn't feel like it fits. What to do? You don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy an aftermarket seat that may, or may not, make things better. You love the look of your stock seat and the way it flows with your beautiful bikes lines. Maybe you discovered your new bike is just a little too tall for safe footing? Now you have the option of having your stock seat custom fitted to your specific needs with little, or no change in its appearance, with a dramatically different feel, and at price that will make more than just your butt feel great."
Spencers Motorcycle Seat Mods,.
Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

Check these guys out if you want a custom job,,.
Better to use some one that has some experience with bike seats and less money then a Sargent or a Corbin,,.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s really good to read familiar comments in this thread. I bought a Sargent seat for my 2017 ninja 1000. The OEM seat pushed you towards the tank and was rather uncomfortable. I agree that the Sargent is good in twistes and sore on the butt whilst on long straight roads. I thought it must have been me. It’s comforting to read that others have the same opinion. There does not seem to be enough padding in the Sargent seat. It’s a pity that Kawasaki can’t get the seat right.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I have over 100k miles on my Sargent seat since 2012 and have moved it from a 2011 to a 2014 to my current 2018. Although I agree that the padding is thin and it's a bit slippery (didn't think to get the dtx cover) the shape is much better than the stocker and suits me fine even on 500-700 mile days.
Just a suggestion: If you find yourself on one of those long boring stretches you should still stop every 60-90 minutes and take a break. Even a 3 minute walk around and you'll be fine at the end of the day. Once the soreness sets in it's irritating and hard to get rid of but stopping once in a while keeps it from getting to that point.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
80 Posts
My number one complaint after 1500 Km now on the 2021 N1K is the seat to bars and foot peg triangle.
Look's like the seat itself is a long time issue, and I agree it is not a great design. While the cushion feels soft, I find my tailbone is placed on the thicker rear portion, it feels so hard.
The Family Jewels are up against the tank, and the centre line of my botty is over the narrower (for short people to reach the deck, that's not me) width of the seat shape closer to the tank.

The sides of the cushion at this place dig into my legs and causes pressure points to form. I haven't had that from a seat since the custard yellow 1990's Triumph Datona 955.
The foot pegs are too far back from what I consider ideal placement for this bike, adding pressure on the upper leg hamsting against the seat edge.

My considered view from my Day 1 with the N1K is that Kawasaki Design Committee has the rear sub frame mounted too high for a "sport tourer" of a bike.
I think a Rider should sit in the middle of a bike like the Ninja 1000, leaving the ZX10R design for that particular sports bike.
The Ninja 1K has become a sort of Honda Camel of a bike, they couldn't agree, so they all had a good go at stuffing it up to get included their idea of what makes a sports tourer.

If the seat height was not 835 mm, but 815 adjustable up to 835 mm by removing blocks or a mechanical leverage system, then it would be far better bike than what it is now in my opinion.

I think the root of the design failure was jacking the rear up so high was to give room for reasonably large sized hard saddle bags above the mufflers as a Sales Dept idea.
This is why the rider triangle sucks, (for me anyway).

So after 1500 km, I am morphing to ride it like a GSX-R, R1, ZX10R; with too much weight on the hands, sore bum, and cramped legs and leaning over the tank and under the screen again.
The Suzuki GSX-S1000 was a lot more comfortable for me than this Ninja 1000.
The only Suzuki that comes close to the Ninja in riding triangle is the Hayabusa, but it's seat is far more comfortablly shaped and padded.

Rob.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have been pretty satisfied with the Sargent seat on my 2013. It started out on my 2011 which I totaled on a wet road, so I have been riding it for nine years and it still works for me. I still have some minor discomfort on longer rides but not enough to make me look for a better solution.

I also have a 2019 Tracer 900 GT. That stock seat was pretty bad. It hurt my backside after about an hour and the slope into the take was terrible. Ended up getting a seat from Terry Adcox, which has been by a wide margin the best motorcycle seat I have ever had. I was on the last day of a four day trip and due to unforeseen circumstances, had to get on the interstate at the end of the day to make time. I sat in one spot for 150 miles of four lane boredom and never had a bit of discomfort.

Home | terryscustomseats

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get the Day Long.

Yes, it's expensive. Ya, it's a pain in the *** to get done. And no, it doesn't look super cool.

But it lives up to the name, and nothing else you can buy is going to even come close for this bike. The other off the shelf seats are not even in the same class, the Day Long is a true Touring seat that sits at the top of its class. There is a reason that so many HD riders upgrade their already good seats to it.

I bought a Sargent Seat to use while this was being sent off and made (it's a process). Ya it might be better than stock, but not by much.

Of the many comfort upgrades I have made to my bike for touring, the Day Long is by far the most important. The MadStad windscreen is the only thing that even comes close.

I also did the "add some washers to the back two bolts under the gas tank" mod to give the front to the seat some lift, it helped a lot with the sliding forward problem. That is a cheap easy mod everyone should do.

PS: Heated seats are dumb, but still kinda cool. You might as well add that option since it's not that expensive considering what this costs already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, much flatter- not sure why Kawi insists on that **** forward slope where the jewels slide into the tank. I think it's an optical illusion that it appears to actually slope upwards.

I'm betting pretty much any auto upholsterer can do this. My guy, who is now sadly out of business, was a Kawi ZX6 owner so he fully understood the issue.
Lee
The motorcycle seat upholsterer I used to cut down the foam and insert a thin gel layer for my CBR1000 is out of business, too. Not too cushy for a trackday, but much better for a long ride. I need to find another upholsterer to do same for my Ninja.

Sad to see that aftermarket seat makers still don't understand why peeps want replacements. For sportbikes, we want ones more track-focused and ones for long-ish trips. Why is this so hard to figure out? I guess they've made too many bling seats for Hardleys and Hayabusas.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts