Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sargent for my '17. I have one for my '07 DR650 and it worked wonders. The one on my 1000 works better than the stocker, but after a 4-day, ~1500-mile trip from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque and back, I'm really disappointed in the Sargent. Let me be clear; it isn't so much that my *** is sore as much as the sides of the seat just dig into my upper legs. The 4th day I had to skip a scheduled overnight stay so I ended up riding almost 600 miles that day alone. The pain was murderous. Short of sticking an eyesore like a Day Long on it, are there any other things I can do? I am a bit overweight, but working on that. I won't take this bike on a trip anywhere near that long again without addressing this issue.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I had a similar complaint with my sargent. I sold mine, but halfway wished I had rounded its sides, and filled in the pocket the rider is supposed to sit in.

Reason being is the stock seat sucks, and I dont believe the kawasaki gel is that much better.

Working over the sargent would be from the "what is there to lose" dept.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have tried the Sargent, Kawasaki Gel and the Corbin seat on mine. I am back to the stock seat. It sucks, but none of the others are near as good as the stock seat. Pretty **** sad, especially with the cost of these seats, to not even be as good as the stock seat. My girlfriend has a AirHog on her seat and she loves it. It just moves around way to much on the few times I have sat on hers.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I could live with the gel seat if I were in a underground cave. The gel in mine gets so hot its not even usable. Or cold, if it snto sunny outside.

The cover looks decent so I may try removing the gel, this offseason. 57, I agree. It is sad when we have 3 options, all built so similar to the stock seat as to make them meaningless.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I found a Sargent seat to be perfectly comfortable when carving twisties but pretty unbearable when slabbing or even semi slabbing (highways) for long periods of time. I'm considering a custom seat or tweaking my Sargent.
I think it's all about the riding positions I lean forward when carving a twisties which repositions contact points.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the Sargent as well. For me it was a big improvement over the stock seat but still not perfect. When I am riding twisties and moving around on the seat a bit it works very well with no discomfort. On the occasion that I have to ride the slab my backside gets a little uncomfortable. I did 180 miles of interstate nonstop once on the way home from the mountains and when I finally stopped for gas my backside was sore. However it does work well enough for me that I don't feel the need to modify or replace the Sargent.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have tried the Sargent, Kawasaki Gel and the Corbin seat on mine. I am back to the stock seat. It sucks, but none of the others are near as good as the stock seat. Pretty **** sad, especially with the cost of these seats, to not even be as good as the stock seat. My girlfriend has a AirHog on her seat and she loves it. It just moves around way to much on the few times I have sat on hers.
Same situ here - I have the Kawi gel & Sargent and ended up going back to stock for my Adirondack/Green Mountain tour a few weeks ago.
I like what they've done with the stocker for 2017 - much flatter which is better for me as I like being able to stay where I want.
I find with the Sargent & gel seat that I am sliding forward whenever I brake or gear down which puts extra pressure on my wrists.
Not such a bog deal for short trips/riding around town but for longer trips it just adds that extra fatigue factor that I don't want.
actually, it's likely a combo of the seat shape & the cover material. Both the gel & Sargent seats are "slipperier" than the stick seat.

Rob

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think full custom is probably the only way to get a comfortable seat for this bike. I have Supracor foam in my stock seat (which is a decent improvement) and also have the Sargent seat. Neither of them are suitable for long fwy rides; I have to get off every 1-1.5h. The Sargent is great for backroads though; since it's a bit slippery, you can easily move around on the seat. I also use padded mountain biking underwear for longer rides; makes a big difference and it's multi-purpose :D. Of course, that doesn't fix your issue of the seat digging into your legs.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't like slippery seats. I want to have grip, and don't mind lifting my butt out of the seat to lean. Another reason to hate all the "other" seats I have tried.

I am going to "Pirate for the Day" convention in Reno for Street Vibrations. Bunch of dumbasses driving up and down the main street of Virginia City revvvvvving their Harley engines with no exhaust with fat half-naked girls on the back of their bikes. I go because I have lots of friends going there. I screw around in the mountains and foothills all day on my N1K and head to the restaurants and pubs in the evenings with my friends. Forget all that loud nonsense. 400 miles each way to get there, but on some of the best roads in the nation. I will have to put up with this lousy seat, but will still have fun on great roads.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't like slippery seats. I want to have grip, and don't mind lifting my butt out of the seat to lean. Another reason to hate all the "other" seats I have tried.
Yea, I actually don't like it when just cruising on the fwy since it tends to slide you forward a bit. But it is great on a canyon road if you want to look like Rossi LOL!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Seems there isn't any one seat that stands head and shoulders above the rest. The Sargent is an improvement, *** pain wise, for me at least. But I feel like it digs into my upper leg worse than the stock seat did. The Sargent got to the point that I rode with my junk smashed against the tank for significant portions of time just to change contact points. That 560-some mile leg of the trip was not enjoyable. Each day, I found myself wanting to ride the bike less and less. New Mexico was gorgeous, but I'll be trailering next time...and there goes my desire for wanting to tour Central America on this bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For me the answer was an Airhawk. The trick is to barely inflate it. I put it on top of my Laam seat. Didn't have a lot of room to move around because the Laam has a pronounced pocket, but I was able to ride 9 hours with only short lunch & gas breaks. I'm trying it on top of my Corbin right now to see if I like that better. Did 175 miles yesterday in about 4 hours. Seems good. Unfortunately, it seems that one person's experience with seats matters little unless you are same weight, height, age, as them.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"Unfortunately, it seems that one person's experience with seats matters little unless you are same weight, height, age, as them."

I agree,its got a lot to do with physical proportions,,. I had the 650R previously and the sliding ahead issue was constant no matter what, bought a very expensive Corbin and it didn't really help,,. I was good for 45 mins, on that bike, that was about it,,. Ive since determined that the bike really wasn't a good fit for me physically,,.

Got the N1K and ordered the Gel seat right away because I had heard the OEM seat was a killer however I ended up using it a fair bit till the Gel came in and I was finding it pretty good,,. No sliding ahead and pretty good with the fatigue issue,,. I'm using the broken in OEM Gel now and have put in some pretty long days 7 or 8 hours with the odd break here or there,,.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Long time Sargent fan/owner here HOWEVER, I did not like the one they designed for the N1K. Bought/used mine for a brief period, discovered it didn't work well FOR ME & sold. The new owner loved it. Go figger.

Instead, I took my OEM seat to a local upholstery shop. The owner was a Kawi rider himself and fully understood my issues. I sat on the bike, he took some measurements and blammo, a few days later, a piece of art. New cut, new foam, new cover. I'm not a long distance rider but 200 miles days are not an issue any longer.

I'll never go back to an aftermarket seat. Trust your local auto upholster for a true custom fit.
Lee

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
...Lee, if you have time, Id love to see a pic of your seat.

Now, how to figure out what local guy knows motorcycle seats......

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I'm not sure pics do the seat justice but you can see the Sargent seat here, on pg 2: Some Ninja 1000 mods - Page 2
and the modded OEM seat here: Blaze saddlebags on my '11 N1K

In the latter, you'll see a fuller, flatter seat, w/much denser foam. I'm still breaking it in however it is measurably more comfortable & tolerable than the OEM or Sargent seat.
Lee
Flatter and if anything, a gradual upward slope towards the tank.
This makes much more sense than the other aftermarket options.

Not even sure that there is someone local who can do work like this.

Looks awesome!

Rob

·
Registered
306 Posts
Flatter and if anything, a gradual upward slope towards the tank.
This makes much more sense than the other aftermarket options.

Not even sure that there is someone local who can do work like this.

Looks awesome!

Rob
Yes, much flatter- not sure why Kawi insists on that **** forward slope where the jewels slide into the tank. I think it's an optical illusion that it appears to actually slope upwards.

I'm betting pretty much any auto upholsterer can do this. My guy, who is now sadly out of business, was a Kawi ZX6 owner so he fully understood the issue.
Lee

1 - 20 of 32 Posts