Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend any of the universal fit saddlebags, or other non-OEM bags? Cycle Gear has many universal fit saddlebags by Oxford, Givi and Motech for around $200. They are not hard saddlebags, but they are waterproof and have enough storage size for what I want, which is to bring a tarp for commutes (it’s always raining in FL) and beer/food for day trips. I want to get a slip-on as well, and am not too keen on dropping $2k for exhaust and saddlebags...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been looking into the same thing. I only need room for a couple of nights because longer trips I take the FJR.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
Over the last 10 years, I've used been using the Gears Navigator bags and can not speak more highly of them.

The quality of the material, the stitching and the heavy duty zippers is first class.

They are a "universal" fit, so it does take a little bit of effort to work out how to fit them to the bike.

I've used mine for anything from over-night rides up to 10 day trips.

Make sure you get the Gears Navigator, as there are "knock off" on eBay and they are really poor quality. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I saw your post somewhere else and looked those up the other day. I’m seeing them for about $75. Does that sound like the right price?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
The Gears Canada website has them listed at $96 but I'm not sure if that is $US or $CN. Amazon has them for $US79.

Of course, they were a lot more expensive when i paid the shipping from Canada to Oz, plus paying Import tax, but even so, they are really worth it.

Gears Canada .... Amazon

·
Registered
8 Posts
A buddy of mine has the Givi Bags on his 1000. I have the OEM bags. The Givi's are OK but he wishes he had gotten the OEM equipment. Yes pricey. Yes good, especially if you are going to use them often.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I initially had a set of Cortech sport saddlebags & tailbag for the '11 but they were too big to fit well on the back, especially the tailbag. Then, thinking I wanted/need hard bag security, I bought a set of Givi Kappa bags but between their size and the mounting brackets, the bike felt like it was about 11' feet wide- hated/sold them. Then I got a set of Blaze saddlebags and all was right w/the world. Best damn bags I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
A buddy of mine has the Givi Bags on his 1000. I have the OEM bags. The Givi's are OK but he wishes he had gotten the OEM equipment. Yes pricey. Yes good, especially if you are going to use them often.
I had Givi V35s on my '11 and KQRs on my '14. The Givi's held more mostly because of a better shape and were slightly narrower than KQRs. Other than that, kind of a toss up. The Givi's are way more forgiving when it comes to abuse. Kick your KQRs and you have a scuff. Kick the Givis, even had a driveway tipover on the Givis, and NO visible damage. Love their finish. But color matched KQRs do look good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone recommend any of the universal fit saddlebags, or other non-OEM bags? Cycle Gear has many universal fit saddlebags by Oxford, Givi and Motech for around $200. They are not hard saddlebags, but they are waterproof and have enough storage size for what I want, which is to bring a tarp for commutes (it’s always raining in FL) and beer/food for day trips. I want to get a slip-on as well, and am not too keen on dropping $2k for exhaust and saddlebags...
I have Givi V35's on quick release racks. They are well made, easy to put on and remove, and can hold my large size full face helmet.

View from the back. The cases have reflectors and are wired to the turn signals with quick release connectors. Definitely gives the bike a big rump.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm going with V35s too, mostly because I've already got them, so all I have to do is to modify the Givi racks to work with my SW Motech top case rack.

If you prefer soft luggage, IMO what bags you get is probably not as important as how you plan on hanging them. I've got a set of Nelson Riggs soft saddlebags that I've used a few times on bikes that don't take hard panniers. I never liked how they just sort of flap around and chafe on the painted plastics. Since I'm setting up the Street Triple R for my son to tour with me, I got a set of Givi Sport-T racks for it. They give the soft bags a lightweight but rigid frame to attach to.

If I wanted soft panniers on the Ninja 1000, I would want something similar.

Reactions: spectreman

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have searched for a "frame" for aftermarket bags for the 2020 and don't find anyone making them yet.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Dunno if these fit the later models:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Over the last 10 years, I've used been using the Gears Navigator bags and can not speak more highly of them.

The quality of the material, the stitching and the heavy duty zippers is first class.

They are a "universal" fit, so it does take a little bit of effort to work out how to fit them to the bike.

I've used mine for anything from over-night rides up to 10 day trips.

Make sure you get the Gears Navigator, as there are "knock off" on eBay and they are really poor quality. Don't ask how I know.
Will the Gears Sport Tour Saddlebags fit a full face helmet size large?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
629 Posts
Will the Gears Sport Tour Saddlebags fit a full face helmet size large?
I have no idea. I use (and recommend) the Gears Navigator Tail Bag, which will not hold a full face helmet.

Their Navigator Tail Pak Bag might be big enough, but I'm not sure how you would fit it to a N1K.

You could always contact Gear Canada and ask them. They have an on-line chat feature on their website. Contacting us or visiting us is easy • Gears Canada

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
168 Posts
I'm transferring this comment from another thread:-
In fact, I bought soft bags for my N1K fo 2-3 day “trips”.
As a matter of interest, what soft bags did you get? A link would be appreciated if you can, otherwise I'll do a search.
I'm asking as the KQR 28 bags are in short supply and are pretty expensive so I'm thinking soft bags could be a good alternative.
For example, I've found these on Amazon:- ROCKBROS Motorcycle Saddle Bag Waterproof Side Bag For Honda Yamaha Suzuki Sportster Motorcycle Bag Pack Removable Detachable Bag (2 PCS) : Amazon.com.au: Automotive
and
WILD HEART Waterproof Bag Motorcycle saddlebag 50L Tank Bag Motor Side Bag (Yellow) : Amazon.com.au: Automotive
but I'm not sure about fitting and suitability 'for me'

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm transferring this comment from another thread:-

As a matter of interest, what soft bags did you get? A link would be appreciated if you can, otherwise I'll do a search.
I'm asking as the KQR 28 bags are in short supply and are pretty expensive so I'm thinking soft bags could be a good alternative.
For example, I've found these on Amazon:- ROCKBROS Motorcycle Saddle Bag Waterproof Side Bag For Honda Yamaha Suzuki Sportster Motorcycle Bag Pack Removable Detachable Bag (2 PCS) : Amazon.com.au: Automotive
and
WILD HEART Waterproof Bag Motorcycle saddlebag 50L Tank Bag Motor Side Bag (Yellow) : Amazon.com.au: Automotive
but I'm not sure about fitting and suitability 'for me'
Mine are Cortech. They make two versions. I have the version that are “contoured”, meaning the are curved. They have less capacity than the straight ones. But they work better with the Ninja1000s curved passenger handles. They are incredibly tight and stable. To make up for the smaller capacity you can buy the Cortech Tailbag that is specifically designed to strap to the saddlebags and is quite large.
Here is a link to the tail bag. Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag - Cycle Gear
Here they are, but with a Nelson Rigg tail bag.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
168 Posts
Thanks Jim, much appreciated.

Reactions: jjscsix
1 - 20 of 20 Posts