Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Yes, lots of tire talk on the forum. In a nutshell, I was a huge Road 5 (and 4 & 3 & 2) fan and fitted them to my Ninja. Went through 3 sets. Then I discovered Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs and I'm now on my 3rd set of them. As a Sport Touring tire on the Ninja I feel they just work better. The PR5 were good, gave good mileage but are very harsh with very stiff sidewalls. The RS3s just feel better and give all the same things I liked about the PRs, good mileage and great grip in the wet. Not everyone agrees and you might want to search the forum. There have been some really good tire discussions. It also might depend on what year Ninja you have but the general concensus is that a /55 profile rear tire works much better than the OEM /50 on older ('11-'19) Ninjas.

Reactions: Bc2 and Crawsack

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I’m approaching a tire change myself. I must admit that I have really liked the S22 which came with the bike (Ninja Performance Tourer 2021). My dealer makes good rebates on either Dunlops or Bridgestones (on my former bike I had Continentals which I liked a lot). My question: I will do a long motorcycle trip in the early summer (11 days in the Alps, more than 4000 kms). Do you reckon that a new set of S22s would go the distance or should I opt for the new Dunlop Roadsmart IV which get good reviews. Does anybody have experience with both tires (the RSIV being new, probably with the RSIII)?
Thanks and cheers

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tyres are like underpants - everyone's are different - I really like the Angel GT rear and Angel GT 2 front combo I have currently. - but I am not a hard rider and just munch KM's (miles)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tyres are like underpants - everyone's are different - I really like the Angel GT rear and Angel GT 2 front combo I have currently. - but I am not a hard rider and just munch KM's (miles)
Thanks for your answer, I know that the Pirellis are good from other riders but I was interested in S22s or Roadsmarts as my dealer offers me a good price for Bridgestone or Dunlops, otherwise I would have considered other tires myself, the Pirellis or the Continental Roadattack 4.
Cheers

·
Registered
371 Posts
Like others have said its a mixed bag on what folks like the most. I currently have the Michelin R5's but had AGT's before this. I loved the AGT's since I had 3 sets. My last set of AGT's had a failed front tire bead and it drove me crazy trying to identify what the problem was. You literally could not tell until I had the tire removed. Once it came off the rim it was deformed and then became obvious. I think the Road 5 tires wear super well but they are not as sticky when in the cold and did effect a little confidence in the corners until either the outside temps pick up or you had a good run on the tires to get them nice and hot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like others have said its a mixed bag on what folks like the most. I currently have the Michelin R5's but had AGT's before this. I loved the AGT's since I had 3 sets. My last set of AGT's had a failed front tire bead and it drove me crazy trying to identify what the problem was. You literally could not tell until I had the tire removed. Once it came off the rim it was deformed and then became obvious. I think the Road 5 tires wear super well but they are not as sticky when in the cold and did effect a little confidence in the corners until either the outside temps pick up or you had a good run on the tires to get them nice and hot.
I’m just back from the dealer, problem solved itself in a way. My S22s are dangerously worn and there are problems with the stocks of Bridgestone tires in Belgium right now, apparently they are months late and nobody knows when the shipment will finally arrive so next wednesday I’ll get a pair of the new Dunlop Roadsmart IV. They should cover the trips I have scheduled for the spring and summer months (more or less 7 000 kms). By then I will have to get the 12 000 km service done and can switch back to the S22s which I really loved but I just wasn’t sure to take the gamble of leaving with them for a long trip and find myself running out of tread during the trip.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
The OEM tires are fairly low quality versions of the s22. Any aftermarket tire will be an upgrade.

Reactions: Ninja_1000

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 1000
18 Posts
S22 all day every day. If you want to get better mileage then Michelin Road 5 would be (and will be ) my next choice. I ran the S22s on my N1K for 6k then changed to Pirelli Angel GT2s - I chose poorly. Back to the Michelins for me next change - I ran the RP 3 on my MT07 on track days and couldn't fault them. I currently run S22s on my ZX6 trackie.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 Sx
99 Posts
Anyone have experience with the S22 aftermarket vs OEM? I’m currently on the S22 OEM at 5k and can still probably get another 2k from the rear. Wondering if the the non OEM will be about the same or more?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Some say they are different, some say they are the same. From my S21 and S22 I would get 7,500 - 8,000 miles. The S22 on my new 2020 N1K were the only OEM S22 I have had and I only got 5,000 out of them before buying a new set. I could have squeezed another 1k miles. So, from my limited experience with the OEM s22's they appeared to wear different than aftermarket. Take it with a grain of salt!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apologies if a repeat thread. Have Oem S22's atm. When changing I am leaning towards Road 5's. Appreciate views and opinions please
Hi, I bought my NK1 second hand with 2000 kms on the clocks, it came with the OEM S22s. I was very happy with them but they were done , specially the rear tyre by the time I reached 5500km a couple of months ago. As I’m going on a motorcycle holiday in which I’ll be covering 4000 kms, the biggest part of it in mountain passes, I wasn’t sure that repeating S2s would be a safe bit. So I put a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts IV on and I’m very happy. Handling wise the bike hasn’t lost any agility, on the contrary, they’re very solid on wet surfaces and the front tyre gives a lot of confidence if pushed. I’m very satisfied and will report on whether the mileage box will also be checked.
Safe rides

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 Sx
99 Posts
Thanks. This is helpful. I know there are various factors but good to hear experiences of 7-8K miles on the S22. I'm a lighter riders and don't often hammer the throttle so all that probably works in my favor to give me a little more mileage from the tires. I was contemplating the road 6's vs the S22 but think I'll try the aftermarket S22's for the next set and see how that goes. Riding to PA this weekend so my S22 OEM rear should be done after that (around 7K kms). Curious to see how long the S22 aftermarkets last me.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
It should be better.
Some say they are different, some say they are the same. From my S21 and S22 I would get 7,500 - 8,000 miles. The S22 on my new 2020 N1K were the only OEM S22 I have had and I only got 5,000 out of them before buying a new set. I could have squeezed another 1k miles. So, from my limited experience with the OEM s22's they appeared to wear different than aftermarket. Take it with a grain of salt!

The only people who say they are the same are those who have never researched the topic.

Axif, if you are even halfway in tune with your bike, or even semi serious about how a bike feels, you will notice the higher quality tire in about 30 seconds. Maybe sooner.

If a person happened to do this research, they would learn that the OEM tires are different than aftermarket. How dare I say this as if it fact?

At this point in time, we have trusted online sources as well as the company who made them telling us the OEM tires are different.

There was also post number 46, in this thread, where a rep from Brigestone tires not only told us they were different, he told us how and why this was so .

With this in mind, I wouldn't feel bad telling someone their new Brigestone tire is likely going to be higher quality and longer lasting than the one Kawasaki supplies.

Reactions: axif

·
Registered
2022 SV650, 2022 Versys 650, (Past 2022 Z900RS, 2021 Ninja 1K SX SE)
117 Posts
It should be better.

The only people who say they are the same are those who have never researched the topic.

Axif, if you are even halfway in tune with your bike, or even semi serious about how a bike feels, you will notice the higher quality tire in about 30 seconds. Maybe sooner.

If a person happened to do this research, they would learn that the OEM tires are different than aftermarket. How dare I say this as if it fact?

At this point in time, we have trusted online sources as well as the company who made them telling us the OEM tires are different.

There was also post number 46, in this thread, where a rep from Brigestone tires not only told us they were different, he told us how and why this was so .

With this in mind, I wouldn't feel bad telling someone their new Brigestone tire is likely going to be higher quality and longer lasting than the one Kawasaki supplies.

What the Rep from Bridgestone didn't mention about OEM tyres is that when a new model is being developed, various tyre manufacturers only get scant detail from the Bike Factories. Such as bike style, weight, HP.
This is to not give away to competitors (by industrial spying) details of a future bike that may be several years from release.
Several tyre brands develop a tyre, submit them to the Bike Maker, they choose the one that for them is best, then contract out to the winner eg S22 for the current Ninja 1000 SX.

Rob.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts