Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought folks might be interested in seeing one on an N1K.

It is definitely a compromise; it raises the seating position a bit which makes a big improvement in legroom (at least for me, more of an improvement than the larger of the two peg lowering block options did), but the bike does lose some of its sportiness sitting up higher 'on it' rather than 'in it'.. it took a couple days to get used to the new position, but i'm still able to use body position in the corners without issue. i'll ride quickly on the street, but i'm not a knee dragger on public roads - not sure how much difficulty would be posed trying those antics..

as for comfort..hah. 50 miles on the stock seat and i'd be squirming a little. 100 and i'd be downright uncomfortable. this past saturday, in almost exclusively sub 40 degrees F (and much of it sub 30), i did about 275 miles. zero butt discomfort. quite the opposite; had the seat heater and on and WOW is that a luxury i'd like to not do without in the future :)

seriously, the comfort improvement is not possible to overstate. it is a LOT of money, it won't aesthetically be acceptable to lots of folks, and you give up some of the sportiness of the bike in riding position. For me, the upside of being able to ride all day more than outweighs those cons.. it is fantastic to get off the bike after a full tank of fuel and have zero rear end pain/numbness/etc and want nothing more than to fill up with gas and do it again...

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Car seat cover
Automotive tire Gas Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Auto part

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
That is seriously cool, and I want one. Not for every day use, but for the long trip I'll never take...no, I might.

Do I dare ask for a price range? I know it will be expensive as I don't believe you missed many options.

Is that built on the stock seat pan?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, the N1k, for whatever reason, lands in their most expensive build type (s-3 i think they call it)...so you'd better sit down for this...

My seat (rider only, velour rectangles with vinyl sides) is $650 + shipping ($60 to east coast). Heat is a $200 option. I'd heard people rave about the heat and knew i wouldn't be able to change that decision (easily), so figured in for a penny, in for a pound...with my commute already in the low 30's, it's money well spent to me. it takes a while to heat up (10 minutes or so), but once it does..the heated bum is glorious :) i think it will let me commute (about 40min each way) without using a heated vest/gloves, although longer, fun rides i'll still use them. i know $900 is a ludicrous amount of money for a seat...but like i said, the comfort improvement is impossible to overstate. going to leather is even more expensive, but a) i couldn't stomach any more $, b) i didn't want to have to care for it (the velour is maintenance free beyond wiping it down), and c) i had the velour on my fz1 and with ~10 years and ~50K miles on it, it was as good as new - it holds up.

Yes, it was built on my stock seat pan - have to ship that in. I tried to find a donor but only found a slightly ratty one that i had to cut off some plastic underneath to make it fit (probably from a z1000); i used that one while my original was at Russell.

ahm

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have one for my FJR, and had one for my BMW 1600s. They are magic. But due to height and looks, I only use them for long trips. Sargent is my go to seat for normal riding. I actually still use the OEM seat on my 2020 N1K.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a Terry Adcox seat on my other ST bike. It's basically a knock off of the Russell seat. It felt a bit firm at first but I can easily go 150 ~ 170 miles in comfort without a break.

My Ninja 1000 has a Sargent seat which is a noticeable improvement over stock but not quite as good as the Russell design in my opinion.

It's amazing what a difference a good seat makes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm one that can't past the looks of a RDL on a sporty bike. No doubt the comfort of it is legendary and beyond reproach. On a full-on touring bike, like a Goldwing, the "wings" won't look at all out of place, but on even the biggest sport touring rigs, it just looks "wrong". For me, most big sport tourers' stock seats work well enough for all-day riding. The K1600GT's stock seat and the GTL-Exclusive take-off I bought are all-day-comfortable. So was the Trophy SE's stock seat. The C14 stock seat sucked, but the Kawi low gel seat was wide and supportive... and looked great (even mounted on ZX14R).

As for N1k, the '18 stock seat is pretty atrocious. Both the Sargent and Corbin I got elevate the bike to all-day-tolerable status, which for me is plenty good enough for this style bike.

But... the only butt (and eyes) the seat has to please is the rider that bought it. That certainly seems like the case here.

Reactions: amolaver

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally get that for many folks the compromises outweigh the comfort...but not me :) I commute most days on a bike and my pleasure riding is usually a single day, around 250-300 miles (mostly backroads). Once a year (usually) i do a 7-10 consecutive 300+mi days trip...but that was never going to be possible on the stock seat for me.. My initial attempts at daily rides were so uncomfortable I was struggling to do 150 miles and it was ruining the bike for me.

I was a little disappointed at how the height increase seemed to be cause for loss of sporty feel....but two days of riding it and a) i'm comfortable moving across the seat for body positioning in the corners so i think it is more of a perception thing than an actual change in handling - still get good feel at the front, maybe even more than before because the added height puts a little more weight on my hands, and b) acclimating to the different position and actually running the roads near me at my usual pace seems like all is well..better actually, since my rear doesn't hurt :)

I actually think the N1k's RDL is aesthetically fine - better than how it looked on my fz1
Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting

ahm

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
My seat (rider only, velour rectangles with vinyl sides) is $650 + shipping ($60 to east coast). Heat is a $200 option. I'd heard people rave about the heat and knew i wouldn't be able to change that decision (easily), so figured in for a penny, in for a pound...with my commute already in the low 30's, it's money well spent to me. it takes a while to heat up (10 minutes or so), but once it does..the heated bum is glorious :) i think it will let me commute (about 40min each way) without using a heated vest/gloves, although longer, fun rides i'll still use them. i know $900 is a ludicrous amount of money for a seat...but like i said, the comfort improvement is impossible to overstate. going to leather is even more expensive, but a) i couldn't stomach any more $, b) i didn't want to have to care for it (the velour is maintenance free beyond wiping it down), and c) i had the velour on my fz1 and with ~10 years and ~50K miles on it, it was as good as new - it holds up.
You do what you need to do to get more riding time in. If you're too uncomfortable riding, the bike sits. I chose heated grips, jacket and taller windshield to keep warm enough in winter. If the improvement is the difference between "I'll ride today" vs "I'll just take the car" it's well worth it IMHO. It's hard to imaging not riding for an entire season...

Reactions: amolaver

·
Registered
816 Posts
I get how some might not like the look of the Russell seat on a bike which although designed for long days in the saddle is still more sporting in intent.

However I am in the function over form camp and for me if it does the job well I can easily deal with less than appealing aesthetics.

On a particular trip on my Tracer GT I had to make some time as I needed to get home, so I filled the tank and reluctantly got on interstate 75 north. On that bike I have a Terry Adcox seat which is basically a Russell knock off. I rode the slab for 150 miles without a stop and don't thing I squirmed in the seat one time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
definitely feels taller than stock; like i said, it feels like i gained more legroom with the seat than i did with the motowerks peg lowering brackets. also noticeably more of a reach getting feet on the ground at a stop, although that is caused at least as much by the shape. and yes, definitely noticed a small additional forward lean due to higher butt...but it hasn't manifested in any discomfort, so a) it must be pretty minor, and b) some of the additional height gets lost in the break-in. a couple days of riding and i've adapted as i'm sure anyone would; it's not THAT different a riding position and the bike's reflexes are the same..

Russell do make a 'sport' option..in some pics they're clearly better looking..others, hard for me to tell the difference Sport Seats Gallery - Russell Cycle Products but i don't believe the 'sport' has the suspension in at as the 'real' one does, and having never used one, can't say how close to the 'real' one it gets comfort-wise..

ahm

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I have a Sargent seat. I've had several, as well as a Kawasaki gel. I'm not sure there is any point in having a upgraded, sport seat. I don't think there is a significant comfort difference until you have the seat system you have. Why spend a bunch of money for slightly more comfort.

Your seat would be like the V stream touring shield. Within 5 minutes I could have the V stream, and your good seat installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts