Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I was thinking of a way to adjust the geometry of the N1K without dropping the front forks since clearance is already an issue when I am at full lean. Put the 55 rear tire on the back and it is still does not turn in like my previous bike. Just wondering if anyone has rotated the cam that we use to adjust our chains 180 degrees to allow our wheel to be at its lowest point therefore raising the rear end and causing the bike to turn in quicker. I really cannot think of any downside to this unless you are short but at 6'5" that is not a problem for me. If anyone can think of any, please let me know.

I was planning on trying this tonight unless I am advised otherwise since I am going on a long ride tonight. I will let everyone know my results.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So you want to lower the rear end? In my racer days we would put a shim(s) on top of the rear shock to increase the turn in geometry by raising the rear. Don't know if it really ever helped though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you want to lower the rear end? In my racer days we would put a shim(s) on top of the rear shock to increase the turn in geometry by raising the rear. Don't know if it really ever helped though.
Nope, spinning the cam 180 degrees will put the axle at the lowest point therefore raising the rear end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really cannot think of any downside to this unless you are short but at 6'5" that is not a problem for me. If anyone can think of any, please let me know.
That your chain will likely drag the swing arm has already been mentioned. My addition to that would be read up on swing arm and chain pull angle and its effect on rear 'squat'. The engineer that designed the thing was considering these forces, go changing the chain pull angle big time and the effect in corners and on straights (which as a generalization are different) is going to be??????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I tried it last night and the brake has a stop which hits the swingarm and will not allow it to rotate any further. Apparently, some people grind this off but I do not know If I am willing to do this. It is there for a reason and I am pretty sure that the chain will not be riding on the swingarm. The height difference is not that drastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not think so since it will be effectively doing the same thing that dropping the front forks will do. If you were to do this and drop the front forks, it may be drastic enough to cause you problems when tracking in a straight line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts