Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Zero factory in Scotts Valley, CA today where Aerostich had a traveling sales/sevice/good will event going on with Zero demo rides. Already have an Aerostich suit so focused on the Zero.
They took us on a 30 minute ride on the back roads around the factory. It had rained hard the previous day so slick roads limited pace but it was really fun and also weird to ride a bike which has the rheostat-like throttle of a Ninja 1000 but makes no sound. You also find yourself going for the "phantom clutch lever" now and then as well as dipping your toe for an imaginary downshift. No worries, re-generative charging kind of substitutes when off the switch. Nice bike. They're getting closer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Went to the Zero factory in Scotts Valley, CA today where Aerostich had a traveling sales/sevice/good will event going on with Zero demo rides. Already have an Aerostich suit so focused on the Zero.
They took us on a 30 minute ride on the back roads around the factory. It had rained hard the previous day so slick roads limited pace but it was really fun and also weird to ride a bike which has the rheostat-like throttle of a Ninja 1000 but makes no sound. You also find yourself going for the "phantom clutch lever" now and then as well as dipping your toe for an imaginary downshift. No worries, re-generative charging kind of substitutes when off the switch. Nice bike. They're getting closer.
Cool beans man! I live in the bay area and always pledged that when they make a 250-300 mile range electric sport bike I'd buy in. Still love my Ninja! And so do the ladies...

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Fantastic! I hear the electric bikes have serious torque... a friend of mine works for Zero, he was a BMW guy until he started working for them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I am a serious electric vehicle junky. I love the instant torque off idle. Great for scooting away from lights. I've had electric cars in the past but currently drive for commuting a plug-in hybrid. I love running in all electric mode and that is about 90% of the time.

Since I have a gas motor as backup, range anxiety isn't as much of an issue. OTOH it is cheaper to run on gasoline than the electric rates in CA. I pay the equivalent of about $4.75/gal for electricity at the moment and gas is down in the mid $2 range right now. So I've learned that with the car, below 45 mph is still better to go electric and above it gas.

I had a really cool off road electric minibike. Actually 2 of them. The kids and I had a blast on them. Top speed was about 30 mph but acceleration was great. Road the heck out of them until someone broke in our garage and stole them. So last year I almost bought a Zero when I stumbled across a great deal on a left over one. Took it for a ride and really liked it. Sadly at that time it needed a bit more punch on the highway and better range. Riding at 75-80 mph really burns through a battery pack. Still a lot of fun.

Once they have more bikes with quick chargers and if the price would come down a bit more, I'll be in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We all legally lane share/split lanes/filter, whatever you wanna call it, around here. I'm no fan of blat bikes, you know the ones I'm talking about, but being able to announce yourself a little while maneuvering through is a good thing for all parties involved. Come to think of it, I didn't try the horn on the Zero. Hope it has a blaster.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
We all legally lane share/split lanes/filter, whatever you wanna call it, around here. I'm no fan of blat bikes, you know the ones I'm talking about, but being able to announce yourself a little while maneuvering through is a good thing for all parties involved. Come to think of it, I didn't try the horn on the Zero. Hope it has a blaster.
Oh man, I didn't even think about that! A quiet bike while lane splitting would be scary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts