Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
Yeah, the twin clock configuration is old school, but certainly functional. I liked it on my Thruxton R.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Houston has a couple of good sport touring groups on Meetup that I ride with whenever time permits, which sadly is not often. Covid pretty much kill that for me.

I used to ride with a small group of guys that all worked at the same company I was with. We rode to lunch, did long day rides and go on multi-day trips once of twice a year. Now several of them relocated due to career moves, so the group more of less dissolved.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I used to have a relatively large crew I rode with regularly. But the politics of group rides killed it off eventually, primarily because a few folks were too uptight. The group fractured into 2 or 3 smaller ones. Like minded riders gravitate towards each other anyway.

Unfortunately for me, I like to go fast and still ride like a Gen-Y but I'm a Gen-X'er. Most of my generation have gotten old and slow or just got old and stopped riding. So guys my age don't like riding with me. Then I'm on the fence about the Gen-Y's because they keep crashing (they just don't know when to say when, or they try to keep up).

I end up riding alone 70% of the time now. If I get lonely I join my Gen-Y crew. Honestly, riding alone has a lot of perks. I can cover a lot of ground in a short period, and pass slow vehicles without worrying about riders following behind me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I like to go fast and still ride like a Gen-Y but I'm a Gen-X'er. Most of my generation have gotten old and slow or just got old and stopped riding. So guys my age don't like riding with me. Then I'm on the fence about the Gen-Y's because they keep crashing (they just don't know when to say when, or they try to keep up).
Interesting, I'm about the same as you, yet I'm a baby boomer!! Most guys my age have slowed way down (I'm still having to council myself and remind me that I'm too old for this speedy speedster sh!t, but I never listen to myself!!). And, a lot of the younger kids are way out of their league to keep up. I do ride a bit slower on the N1K, but when on the ZX14r, it's often WOT!

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
923 Posts
Houston has a couple of good sport touring groups on Meetup that I ride with whenever time permits, which sadly is not often. Covid pretty much kill that for me.
I tried one group on Meetup here in Houston. They always start near Katy and head west. I'm in the NE. The crazy number of rules kept me from every wanting to try. Do this, don't do that. The one that got me was they require everyone to run with their highbeams on. To me, there's more negatives to that than positives. I just won't do it.

One key reason I like to ride in groups is there are more bikes to be seen by cars. A half dozen bikes coming at you with high beams on is overkill and dangerous.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
215 Posts
I mostly ride by myself. Moved to a new area last year and haven't meet others who ride. I like to ride with others. Makes it more fun in my opinion. As long as they are like minded riders. Last riding partner had a Super Duke. We would burn up the roads. Try to outrun each other. Great times.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I rode a recent group ride at The Ranch, I believe it was about 175 bikes and a loop around 30, 3090 and 6 and to me, it was not as fun as solo or chasing the Ducati and Triump riders up Old Highway 9 to Fredricksburg. But I have never been into big crowds anyway.

I work out three times a week with hundreds of college students, and I have not been sick. Maybe it has something to do with not wearing a mask most of the time combined with licking door knobs and toilet seats...maybe I am immune.

I have the ZX torn apart, I want to run wires from the bars back to the tail for the horn, a singe USB charger, dual USB port and driving lights while I have the plastic off and tank lifted. Mounting the Stebel and the lights will be a challenge on this bike.

I am really hoping the Apex risers show up by Saturday but I am having my doubts.

I made this switch panel out of 16ga sheet metal, it sandwiched between the cluster and mounting bracket and a really easy mod, a little harder to reach the buttons than the panel I made for the N1000 that fit between the triple tree and tank but it works, one for the gate and one for the garage door.

View attachment 30004
Like those gauges, good looking and informative...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
I am 56, how old are ya’ll?

I sometimes run with high beams on but 9 times out of 10 that is when I need to flash them.

I got a Stebel Nautilus installed behind the left fairing today, turned out good. I still have it tore apart to run cables for the horn, dual USB outlet, a second dedicated USB outlet and driving lights.

I need to order a fuse block tonight, I think the brand is Blue Sea and it will keep everything tidy.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
215 Posts
I'm 48. But I feel like a kid when I'm WOT on my Ninja!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm 59.

My ZX12R is also apart. I freshened the fork oil and seals, retrofitting 2011 ZX10R wheels on it, installing an ABM top bar to get a N1K type seating position, CBR1000RR calipers with Brembo master, Muzzy full exhaust, oil change, coolant change, new spark plugs. I fortunately had a Penske shock laying around from another project. I'm trying to talk myself into doing a cam adjustment. It's a PITA on the 12 and 14, but I'll bet it's never been done in the 25K miles on this beast. I also mounted a Stiebel on this. I'm waiting on a relay to finish that wiring.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
What about the engine, 57x? I think we are more likley to find a covid cure than we are to see you leave an engine in stock form.

If you think hes kidding about the valve adjustment, heres the frame hes dealing with. Like the c14/zx14, the frame is the airbox. Anywhere you think your hands would fit, figure there's a piece of aluminum in the way.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I tried one group on Meetup here in Houston. They always start near Katy and head west. I'm in the NE. The crazy number of rules kept me from every wanting to try. Do this, don't do that. The one that got me was they require everyone to run with their highbeams on. To me, there's more negatives to that than positives. I just won't do it.
Have not come across any group that required that. I would have bailed too. Most day ride here either head west towards Fayetteville or north through the forrest, so the KSD points are usually Katy for the West bound rides. I'm on the SW side so that's not too bad.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
57x, always impressive to read about your mods!

I ran all the cables and buttoned it back up yesterday and went for a short ride, I am looking forward to getting the risers on Tuesday and definitely want to drop the pegs 1.5".

After trying the buttons I don't like the location, number one the reach is to far, I will knock the phone or GPS around while reaching over or around it and the buttons are not lit. But it looks good :D

Lots of options...

·
Registered
923 Posts
What about the engine, 57x? I think we are more likley to find a covid cure than we are to see you leave an engine in stock form.
Ahhhh, ****. Busted.

The GSXR1000 engine is out getting pistons, rods, cams, whatever.

I'm already looking at crank, cams, pistons, rods on the 12.

Hey, I haven't thought about getting crazy with the ZX10RR yet ...... I must be too busy fussing with my 47 Rat Rod I traded for my old Softtail.

The Harley Low Rider S already has a custom 117 kit. 135 hp, 145 torque.

Does somebody want a really tricked out SV650 track bike?

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you think hes kidding about the valve adjustment, heres the frame hes dealing with. Like the c14/zx14, the frame is the airbox. Anywhere you think your hands would fit, figure there's a piece of aluminum in the way. View attachment 30010
That's ridiculous. Somehow I don't think that saved any weight either, by combining the air box and frame in one.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't think their main concern was weight savings. An intake plenum large enough for that 1441cc would be huge. It was most likely done for packaging efficiency.

Even then, Kawi had to extend the fuel tank to behind the frame/airbox, because there simply was not enough room above it.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
That's ridiculous. Somehow I don't think that saved any weight either, by combining the air box and frame in one.
The zx14 and concours 14 are almost as bad, but have the airbox as part of the frame. I suppose it did help them stay more narrow? I'll need to invent some other reason if we need a list of why. These frames are insanely strong. You really feel it unless your suspension is set up .

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same here, riding locally lots but day rides only and generally I take my lunch. We always eat outdoors, typically at diagonal ends of a picnic table. My buddy isn't as careful as me, goes in and buys food and rarely wears a mask unless he's ask to. Then again I'm more in the "at risk" category and my mom is 94.
I agree the best group ride is 2. But after that it's 4 with folks riding in pairs.
Just saw this post. I’m going to Florida soon to visit my 95 year old mother and four out of five of my siblings will be there’s also. We know there is some risk, but we all take precautions as much as reasonably possible.

I only see my mother 2-3 times a year and we have already cancelled two. My moms attitude is she’s 95 and wants to see her kids. Worst that happens is she only makes it to 95. But if she got it nobody would bet against her surviving. She’s totally amazing.

Congrats to your mother! Hopefully you are still able to visit her.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts