Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
It takes going out about 40-50 miles, but you can find some nice curves. My typical day ride is 250-300 miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's about the same distance of riding with me in SoCal to get to the twisty mountains and canyons. 50 miles minimum. I do have a local 30 mile road that is really twisty but it's so close to the urbanized areas so any time after 8:30am it's a zoo and you can't have any fun without a lot of risky passing. But once I've ridden outside this urbanized concrete jungle in SoCal, the twisties as well as wide open spaces are never ending. 57x however came from an area where fantastic roads are everywhere. Wide open spaces where you can open up really fast bikes. All the way to tight switchbacks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, really great twisty roads are not abundant in the Houston area--I go to the Rockies or the Smokies each year along with some European trips sprinkled in to get my fix (although the Texas Hill Country is pretty nice, but not like riding in the mountains and you have to dodge all of the deer). 57x will most likely have to go through withdrawal! I would love to live where there are those kind of roads at my back door.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Big withdrawals. It was my choice. I have little time to fix my retirement finances. It's a price I'll pay. The Forest, as the locals call it, has beautiful, scenic roads. Nothing to get excited about for corners though.

It's part of the reasons I'm changing bikes again, like I needed an excuse. Hell, I even bought a Harley. Maybe I'll find a pretty girl that wants a back seat. I'll get my cornering fix on my track bike out at MSR Houston and possible COTA in Austin. I'm also going to drag race my ZX12R and Harley out at Houston Motorsport Park.

The Harley should do well on the 1/8th mile having 145 lbft torque to the tire. Sadly, only 135 rwhp since the damn thing can't rev. The 17 Dyna Low Rider S is only 40lbs heavier than a ZX14R. The guy I got it from put in big pistons, cams and head work before I picked it up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
57x, I am sorry you had to relocate to the Bayou Sh i tty...I did my time, ~33 years there and have no intentions on living there again. Unless of course, if I have to find a job that can't be found elsewhere. Still have family and friends there and visit fairly often. Even at that, I would live in Conroe, Sealy, Brenham, Columbus, Wharton or Brenham and drive...traffic on 288 and 10E is hell and 45S is Houston all they way to the bay.

·
Registered
923 Posts
57x, I am sorry you had to relocate to the Bayou Sh i tty...I did my time, ~33 years there and have no intentions on living there again. Unless of course, if I have to find a job that can't be found elsewhere. Still have family and friends there and visit fairly often. Even at that, I would live in Conroe, Sealy, Brenham, Columbus, Wharton or Brenham and drive...traffic on 288 and 10E is hell and 45S is Houston all they way to the bay.
I live in NE in Kingwood. No swamps and I was careful where to buy on high ground. I rarely, if ever even go south to Humble, much less Houston. 59 traffic only starts getting bad at the Beltway. There's no way I'd live inside the beltway or the south side. I do all my business in Porter and Cleveland. I like Kingwood. I lived here 12 years ago for four years. I'm happy here, other than no place to ride.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Houston has its +'s and -'s. There are lots of other places I'd rather live - and play - but this is where we are and likely will be till I retire, so we just make peace with the -'s and try to capitalize on the +'s

As for the ZX-14R, it is - to me - a far better road bike than the N1k. I like the N1k a lot, enough to ride one right now, but it also has it's +'s and -'s.

The power difference is obvious, but more than mere numbers, I like just how buttery smooth the ZX14R delivers that power. No pesky 2X RPM buzz that the N1k still has, despite several generations' worth of refinement, and likely will always have to some degree. Kawi can minimize "felt" vibration, but unless they change the engine architecture drastically, the underlying mechanics will produce the buzz like it always does. Fueling for both bikes are excellent, but for a beast with nearly 200HP, the ZX14R is incredibly easy to ride anywhere on the anger scale, from parking lot crawling all the way up to retina-detaching hyper speed.

Much can be ballyhooed about the phat Ninja's tonnage, but having ridden quite a few 550-600 lbs class sport machines, I find that weight to be more friend than foe for real world sport touring, especially when the day grows long and the elements turn hostile. More than just more power, that weight delivers stability and quite often buys better isolation from things that make misery. If I'm going on anything longer than a short day ride, I'd pick a big bike... every time.

Slower handling? Well... for track days I'd absolutely agree when compared to a ZX10R or ZX6R. Up against the N1k... just barely. N1k's suspension bits are on the budget side and while it might feel lighter on its feet, it isn't exactly a surgeon's scalpel when it comes to serious corner carving. N1k's chassis setup and rider triangle/ergos are not what I'd favor for that sort of thing. It bothered me so much I had to switch to Apex 3" risers, right after I bought it. For most of the twisties and sweepers I've ridden on public roads, I'd enjoy the ZX14R just as much as the N1k. You'd have be going full tilt in tight chicanes for the phat Ninja to feel lumbering. If you live in an area where you can stitch together enough fast switchbacks to make you wish for a faster handling bike, you have my envy and every right to shun the ZX14R.

So why did I sell the '14 ZX14R and now ride an '18 N1k? One word... insurance. Flo thinks the ZX14R is the Grim Reaper reincarnate. She charged me accordingly. If and when I find an insurance co rates it otherwise, I'm liable to get back on one faster than it can sprint the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is that a full header system or just yoshi slip ons? Nice looking bike.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Volfy, your zx14 insurance....how much more was it? Double? Triple? Based on what you guys pay,, Utah insurance is cheap. Even at that, the best I could find for the zx14 was 750, per yr, and that was in 2012. The ninja was closer to 300 for the same policy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live in NE in Kingwood. No swamps and I was careful where to buy on high ground. I rarely, if ever even go south to Humble, much less Houston. 59 traffic only starts getting bad at the Beltway. There's no way I'd live inside the beltway or the south side. I do all my business in Porter and Cleveland. I like Kingwood. I lived here 12 years ago for four years. I'm happy here, other than no place to ride.
I've lived in Houston my whole life (except for college years in Upstate NY) and recently sold my 40 year old electrical contracting business and retired, so a long time. I live just southwest of downtown and like big city life, so no complaints. Houston is a wonderful big city with world class amenities, but it has typical big city problems like traffic and crime. I never go to the south side of town, especially after dark.

Kingwood is nice--was just up there yesterday on a ride to Corrigan and back around Lake Livingston.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is that a full header system or just yoshi slip ons? Nice looking bike.
As you might be able to tell from the temp plate in the pics, that was right after I rolled that ZX14R home. The previous owner did some really nice mods on it. The exhaust was Akra headers + Yoshi R77 slip-ons. I ended up taking the whole system off before I sold the bike. I also made a few other changes to it to make it more sport touring friendly. I still have the full exhaust and few other take-off goodies from that bike. I probably should sell them, but I keep thinking, one of these days I might get another ZX14R.

As for insurance, that ZX14R's premium was more than the 3 other road bikes I had at the time - VFR1200F, Trophy SE and Sprint GT - combined. All the same deductibles. If anything, I might have raised the collision deductible on the ZX14R. This is another big negative of living in Houston.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sometimes location can make a big difference in premiums, and there are many other variables. Here in Navajo County, Arizona my N1K is higher than my ZX14r!

·
Registered
590 Posts
FWIW, N1k insurance premium used to be just as bad as ZX14R, which is what kept me from buying a N1k for the longest time. Then around the time Kawi introduced the 2017 model, they heard enough complaints from owners and went to the major insurance carriers to convince them N1k is not the same as ZX10R. Part of it is Kawi's own fault with their model designation system, which marks the N1k with the same prefix as ZX10R. Another part is, I suspect, the insurance carriers tried to get away with overcharging as much as they can for as long as they can.

Anyhow, the end result was that N1k premiums dropped to about the same level as, say, my VFR1200F. That's what gave me the green light for getting one.

FWIW, I doubt Kawi cares to make the same case for the ZX14R, now that the line is discontinued. Plus I think it's a less convincing case regardless, with the way Kawi advertises and promotes the bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The premium for my 1000SX is more than the H2 SX SE that I traded. Go figure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Oh don't get me started on insurance robbery, it is absolutely stupid to have liability insurance on every vehicle a person owns but that is the law in Texas, and if it is the same elsewhere it is robbery. I have a car, truck, jeep and two bikes and no way in hell can I ride or drive more than one at a time. Makes me mad as hell and it won't change because the insurance lobby sucks Texas.GOV really, really well.

Insurance belongs with a drivers license, period.

If person drives, they have a license and insurance.

If they borrow momma's car and wreck, insured.

Steal a bus and mow down terrorists, insured.

Drive or ride one of five vehicles, insured.

They say, wait, that won't work because every vehicle can have a different rate...fine, charge me for the damn F350 if that has the highest rate!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Texas insurance is just stupid. My insurance went down a lot recently when I traded a stripped down F150 XL 4WD to a loaded Mustang Bullitt. It's a game and we as consumers lose most of the time

·
Registered
164 Posts
Texas insurance is just stupid. My insurance went down a lot recently when I traded a stripped down F150 XL 4WD to a loaded Mustang Bullitt. It's a game and we as consumers lose most of the time
You gotta be kidding.......

·
Registered
95 Posts
4WD half ton pickups are the most stolen vehicles in Houston
And that's what drives the train--it's all based on data.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts