Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate to find a used 2nd Gen ZX14 to ride and was able to put about 50 miles on it. Not near enough time to make a thorough assessment but first impressions is there were many points I like much better than my N1000. I am honestly surprised I would feel that way, the raw power and desire to own the iconic ZX14 and fame are only two points, much like my upgrade from the N400 to the N1000 it's not all about the power.

It's heavier but totally fine with my riding interests, while I enjoy leaning over in the curves I really like long sweepers, speed and distance. It seems stable with the longer wheelbase and more relaxed rake. The seat feels like a recliner (fat) compared to the N1000 but comfortable.

I explained to the seller my number one concern and unless I rode it, was rider position. It had 1.5" risers like my N1000, but the forward lean was not that bad, probably because my woody against the tank was supporting part of my upper body weight. The peg to seat height was obviously shorter than my N1000.

But I really love the engine, the engine sound, the torque, the exhaust note and it never seemed to have to work. And to me, much much lower vibration all around. This seemed obvious when I jumped on my N1000 to head home. After I made it home ready to buy it, I learned my full coverage insurance would double to about a grand a year and having just bought my N1000 in April, I don't have near enough cash to cover the gap so this one will slip away. If I had the cash to cover the gap it would be in the garage.

I really enjoy my bike but see me on a ZX14 as the next ride, more than likely with aftermarket cans, compared to the N1000 exhaust the ZX14 is fugly, Apex 4" risers, 1" dropped pegs and some form of saddle bags.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I loved everything about the ZX14 other than my shoulders aching after a 30 min ride. That was a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I owned two ZX14's, a 2007 and 2012...after the 2012 i bought a CBR1000 which i loved. Will have to see how i find the 1000SX when it arrives.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like two of everything (2 is 1, 1 is none), it's an old military thing. Before the the 2020 N1K came along I had a ZX14 and ZX14r, they were both equipped so close it was hard to tell the difference in riding, both with double bubble, both with CRC shorty levers, both ECU's reflashed, both after market exhaust 1 with carbon slip on's the other with carbon full 4:1, both with 7/8" risers, both with the same fairings and paint scheme. However, I only have room and need for two bikes at a time, so the Gen1 ZX14 was sold. The plan was to this coming year purchase another N1K, probably a 2021, but I just cannot let go of the Gen2 ZX14r. I may change my mind with more experience on the N1K (only have 4.5K miles), but for now I like them both equally, just a bit differently, so for now the ZX14r has to stay.

You might want to consider raising the forks about a half inch, which will allow the ZX14r to slide into the lean with less effort. There are a lot of dropped pegs to choose from, most likely with your riding style you will not drag them. Soft bags and hard bags are available, but with a little more effort to get a set you may like compared to the N1K. Interesing to hear about your insurance. Mine is much lower than for the N1K. Perhaps the ZX14r you tested is a later model with full coverage.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Friend of mine let me ride his ZX14 R. The power was ridiculous. The forward thrust it generated was crazy and almost made me want one. But I know what would happen......I would prowl the nearby interstates for other machines to humiliate and end up in jail.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
There's a kawaski demo day nearby saturday but unfortunately they're not bringing the ZX. I really want to jump on that bike for a significant ride. I have a feeling I'd love it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have the first gen ZZR1400 overseas and I cannot bring myself to sell it. It gets refreshed once a year.

Moving to the US, after getting pulled over for doing 15 over, I quickly realized that it is too much bike for the road culture here. But it is hands down my fave! I've had a ZZR1100D before upgrading to the ZZR1400. and a couple of 4cyl 400's and a VFR.

There is a technique to ride the ZZR1400, it is to get on the tank/lean on the tank more and it will take some pressure off your shoulders. Definitely it is not a beginner bike. There are just some skills and cues you develop overtime as you go through the years of practice and experience.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Where you can enjoy the excessive power of these hyper bikes depends on where you live in the US. Anywhere near a densely populated area, forget it! It will just frustrate you. But anywhere outside of those, oh yeah you can! When I had my Hayabusa, I truly enjoyed it when I was out there in the outer reaches of civilization. There, I could open her up and watch the horizon shrink, as well as the gas gauge! Repeat again and again. Just make sure you have a gas station at the end of the ride. LOL! These bikes will gulp down fuel at an alarming rate when you're really using all their power.

Now with my N1k, the power is just right. I still can't use all of it often around dense population centers. But I only need to get slightly outside of those areas and I can use all 125 rwhp here and there. Places were I wouldn't be able to on a bike with 150-200 rwhp. I believe that having a lot of power is nice to have when you can use it. But you don't have to use it. Great power requires great responsibility. I think the sweet spot for power junkies is really where today's liter bikes are. 120-160 rwhp on a 400-500 lbs. wet weight bike, on a compact, comfortable ergonomics.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Theres no doubt fuel use is high when you use all the power, but you dont have to do that. Ive sen 16 mpg at 155 and a fuel light at 64 miles. If I keep it in my pants, and dont exceed the posted speed limits, my c14 will see 50-55 mpg (Ivan's flash) at 65 mph. That's with an oversize windshield, and bags. 3500 rpm, at 70 mph doesnt suck, either.

I enjoy my modded Ninja, but its engine isnt even in the same league if you are trying to compare refinement, smoothness, or power with the 14 series machines.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I enjoy my modded Ninja, but its engine isnt even in the same league if you are trying to compare refinement, smoothness, or power with the 14 series machines.
It was the engine to me that was most impressive, sure, pulled like nothing I have everyone driven or ridden, but it was nice loafing along at ~72 @ 4K and smooth!

Sure, I am disappointed I can't have it now but the Apex 4", the next purchase for my N1000 should also fit a ZX14 ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I agree with OCL on power to weight numbers, but I still love the big bikes. I grew up riding the ZX7R big fat pig. It's probably why I liked the H2 SX where others didn't. It's the compromise of stability vs. lighter handling. I have never minded pushing around a big bike in tight corners. It's why I grabbed a cheap ZX12R recently.

I change bikes like other people change underwear. I recently traded my H2 SX SE for an 18 S1000RR since insurance for it in Texas was $2300 per year, while the S1000RR is $500 for the same coverage. Go figure. I've never hated a bike more than the S1000RR. I'm sorta being patient trying to figure out how to make this damn electronic suspension not suck. I'm sure I'll sell it before I do.

I have a pretty good chance to pick up another 2014 Ninja 1000 super cheap right now. I'm disappointed I never did the crazy mods I wanted to do. I still have many of the parts like forks, shock, triple with risers with a bar, etc.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was fortunate to find a used 2nd Gen ZX14 to ride and was able to put about 50 miles on it. Not near enough time to make a thorough assessment but first impressions is there were many points I like much better than my N1000. I am honestly surprised I would feel that way, the raw power and desire to own the iconic ZX14 and fame are only two points, much like my upgrade from the N400 to the N1000 it's not all about the power.

It's heavier but totally fine with my riding interests, while I enjoy leaning over in the curves I really like long sweepers, speed and distance. It seems stable with the longer wheelbase and more relaxed rake. The seat feels like a recliner (fat) compared to the N1000 but comfortable.

I explained to the seller my number one concern and unless I rode it, was rider position. It had 1.5" risers like my N1000, but the forward lean was not that bad, probably because my woody against the tank was supporting part of my upper body weight. The peg to seat height was obviously shorter than my N1000.

But I really love the engine, the engine sound, the torque, the exhaust note and it never seemed to have to work. And to me, much much lower vibration all around. This seemed obvious when I jumped on my N1000 to head home. After I made it home ready to buy it, I learned my full coverage insurance would double to about a grand a year and having just bought my N1000 in April, I don't have near enough cash to cover the gap so this one will slip away. If I had the cash to cover the gap it would be in the garage.

I really enjoy my bike but see me on a ZX14 as the next ride, more than likely with aftermarket cans, compared to the N1000 exhaust the ZX14 is fugly, Apex 4" risers, 1" dropped pegs and some form of saddle bags.
Does the ZX14r have cruise control?

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
No factory cruise control, although it can be done. Many have done it for the concours 14. Figure 1200.00 to do it, yourself.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
No factory cruise control, although it can be done. Many have done it for the concours 14. Figure 1200.00 to do it, yourself.
That sucks cause I am ready to trade in the Ninja and the ZX14r has always been on my bucket list. But I really want cruise control now. May look at FJR or Connie.

·
Registered
923 Posts
That sucks cause I am ready to trade in the Ninja and the ZX14r has always been on my bucket list. But I really want cruise control now. May look at FJR or Connie.
I don't think the Connie has cruise control either.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Uno the FJR's for transvestites. Live with the lack of crusie control until you can add an aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Uno the FJR's for transvestites. Live with the lack of crusie control until you can add an aftermarket.
LMAO! I have heard some great things about the FJR. I can't find an ZX14R within 150 miles.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
There's one around here. Send me the money and I'll ride it up to you. THen you can give me a ride back b*tch style and deal with my nonsense, and possibly an erection, for 150 miles :)
I hear good things about it too, but it's somewhat tame relative to what you want/are used to. I wouldn't let the cruise control stand in your way. How often do you do those all day rides anyway? You're a big., brawny shark fighting semen... I mean seaman. Don't get soft on us now!

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
LMAO! I have heard some great things about the FJR. I can't find an ZX14R within 150 miles.
I'm on my 3rd FJR--been riding them since '03 (and I'm not a transvestite). It's THE BEST sport tourer out there IMHO--comfortable on the super slabs and pretty nimble for a big bike when you get to the twisties. It certainly won't give you the arm-wrenching acceleration of the ZX14r, but the power is more than adequate and a much better bike for piling on the miles. I use mine for yearly 4,000 mile trips to the Rockies or the Smokies from Texas, but have to admit that I don't ride it much in between for day rides--I prefer my SDR or 1000SX for those. No cruise control is a deal breaker for me now on any new bike, just like a quickshifter.

Reactions: Rock
1 - 20 of 99 Posts