Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a encounter with a wrong way driver on a earthen divided road last night. Luckily the truck driver behind me figured out why I was braking and then choose to stay put and cover my six. His name was David Baker out of OKC and rides a Harley so if you know him tell I'm grateful. The lady was apologetic and very upset and knew she missed the signs (three in total) but what surprised me was that no one had ever told her about the yellow line being on the right and white on the left before. In Texas every oneway road whether city street, highway or interstate is marked in this manner as is everywhere else I've been and noticed except the Cayman islands and Mexico. Even the little bit of Canada I've seen appeared to use the same markings.
Anyone know of it being different anywhere in North America?

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
This is just a random (two way) road, here in Utah. Yellow in the middle, and white on the sides. Yellow indicates traffic going both ways. White center lines mean the same direction of travel. Here we would have white/white on any one directional road. The colors would not help you if you were going the wrong way. From the drivers ed handbook, it sounds like a universal thing? Road Markings: What to do in Yellow, White or Double Road Lines | Driving School

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
In town & city areas in Oz, yellow lines painted near the edge of the road means there are stopping restrictions.

A broken yellow kerb line means you must not stop or park between specific hours. An unbroken yellow kerb line mean you must not stop or park for any reason.

All other road markings (centre & side lines) are always in white paint.

The exception is in the alpine regions that receive snowfalls in Winter. Here all road markings (centre & side lines) are in yellow paint.

And if you ever visit Oz, please remember that we drive on the left-hand side of the road. Regrettably, a few tourists get killed every year by forgetting this fact.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
The mines I go to are left hand drive. It's easy if there is traffic and you have someone to follow. Not so easy, after dark, when you are alone. Right turns are difficult and feel unnatural.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Agreed RC. When I drove in the US, left-hand turns across traffic felt "all wrong". The other trouble I had was trying to reverse park the car (this was before reversing cameras). I found it almost impossible.

On the highway, and around suburban streets was OK, even at night.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Correct. The windscreen wiper / flasher-blinker stalks are reversed.

I didn't have any problems while in the US, but when I returned back to Oz, I kept flipping the windscreen wipers on when I wanted to go around a corner. It took me a few days to "re-orientate".

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is just a random (two way) road, here in Utah. Yellow in the middle, and white on the sides. Yellow indicates traffic going both ways. White center lines mean the same direction of travel. Here we would have white/white on any one directional road. The colors would not help you if you were going the wrong way. From the drivers ed handbook, it sounds like a universal thing? Road Markings: What to do in Yellow, White or Double Road Lines | Driving School
View attachment 29088
looking at that picture as if in florida, the person heading to the pictures mountains is clear to pass, heading toward camera no pass

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
Yes, that would be correct here, too.

Another thing our local instructor taught us was highway numbering. Locally, we have "i15" and "i215". The 2 1 5 signifies that this road will intersect with i15 in two places. If there was a 415 it would be 4 places that it intersects. It works. Nice to know if you need to figure out a new city.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Avi it looks like those road marking gave you skid markings 😄

We essentially almost always have double yellow on a two way road. A broken yellow on one side with the solid on the other means the side with the broken yellow can pass if done safely. Pretty much double yellow though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts