Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
That was terrible, I watched the footage and the helicopter went off like a bomb when it hit the ground they did not have a chance the flames were so intense. 9 people in one helicopter is quite the load, I have rode in them and plain don’t like them, to much vibration from the rotors for me.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That thing went down pretty hard. Debris was everywhere. It was really foggy according to a friend of mine who lives near the crash site. I wonder what the could have hit.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
There are pictures of him with his own helicopter. It was large. The specs say it can be set up to hold 12 or 13 people.

I wonder how it works, with regards to pilots? Do you have them on retainer and they sit around and wait for you to go somewhere?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I don’t know if they hit anything or lost an engine, witnesses said you could here the chopper struggling, I think it had 2- jet engines.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are pictures of him with his own helicopter. It was large. The specs say it can be set up to hold 12 or 13 people.

I wonder how it works, with regards to pilots? Do you have them on retainer and they sit around and wait for you to go somewhere?
He made that trip allot over recent years so I imagine he had used the pilot before. I doubt it was a full time pilot but one or the regulars that works out of small local airports. I don't think this was pilot error (other than not being able to see) or mechanical failure. They were seen having a fire while they were in flight. 100 bucks says it was another Stevie Ray Vaughn situation where they hit something during poor visibility.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don’t know if they hit anything or lost an engine, witnesses said you could here the chopper struggling, I think it had 2- jet engines.
2 turbo shaft engines.
Just read somehting that said the pilot shot up in altitude quickly. Must have seen a mountain when it was too late.
Its a pretty big chopper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was sad to hear that. My deepest condolences to his family.

This year marks the 30 year anniversary a helicopter crash took the life of another legend. I feel fortunate in that I not only saw both of these legends perform but I saw both of them at their peak.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
I'm sire they will have a million excuses as to why, but this looks like the pilot ran into the mountain. The weather was bad, but how the hell do you tell Kobe "no"....we cant fly your helicopter right now. It's not safe.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I saw poster for pilots once. It read: "Even more so than the Sea, Flying an aircraft is extremely intolerant of mistakes"

I took some flying lessons. The safety procedures they drill into your head is something that sticks to you. Especially if you read about accident reports. The biggest causes of aircraft crashes is due to weather. Followed up by pilot's decisions that under estimate weather conditions along with terrain. They even have an acronym for it: "F.I.T." = Flight Into Terrain.

In addition, many pilots run into a situation where the weather/visiblity is borderline VFR or IFR...meaning you can see and navigate by visual in some places, but not in others. When in doubt, fly by Instruments. But you have to be a pilot who is instrument rated. If you're not, you just don't fly. Remember John Kennedy Junior? Him, his wife, and a few others perished in the sea while flying to Martha's Vineyard. He flew his Piper out into the Ocean to avoid the fog, then got disoriented because he was a VFR only pilot, ran out of fuel, and put the plane down. All of them drowned less than 50 miles off the Mass. shoreline.

The day Kobe's S76 went down in Southern California, most of the coastal plains where quite foggy. I know because I was out riding my N1k. It was THICK fog too. The only areas that were not fogged in were the inland mountains, which were at least 25 miles from the coast. Where the helicopter went down, it was foggy and not somewhere you want to be flying low and slow.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sad day here in L.A. Met him briefly around 20 years ago working as a motorcycle messenger.

Pulled up next to a black Ferrari at a stop light with the window down and said “Nice car” to which the owner responded “Thanks”.

I then realized who it was and said “Hey you’re Kobe Bryant” and he said “I know”. The light turned green he smiled, flashed a peace sign and drove off leaving me feeling like quite the fool.

Growing up in L.A. we usually don’t make a big deal about meeting celebrities and I admit I’ve never been a huge basketball fan but it was one of the few times in my life I was left starstruck. Feel awful for him and his daughter’s family and friends. RIP

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sheriff said they grounded their choppers yesterday becuase of the fog. He just should not have been flying.
LIke RC says you probably can't say no to Kobe.

OCL I have read allot of posts that mentioned VFR. Thanks to you I now know what it means. I hope hope he wouldn't be flying with anyone but the best but I think allot of pilots feel he was not relying on the instruments. I've read the term Scud or Skud allot. I think that means flying so low so you can see, which would imply to me the piilot wasn't relying on instrumentation. So was he really flying with a novice pilot?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Man, that is pretty sad. Yeah... I bet the pilot didn't want to fly but was pressured into it. And I bet that it comes out in later investigation in much the same way engineers said the Space Shuttle Challenger should not take off but they did anyway.

And I'm still in mourning for losing my all time favorite drummer, Neil Peart.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Growing up in L.A. we usually don’t make a big deal about meeting celebrities and I admit I’ve never been a huge basketball fan but it was one of the few times in my life I was left starstruck. Feel awful for him and his daughter’s family and friends. RIP
Being a Knick fan it was hard to like the guy because he always had record nights at the Garden :grin: But even than I appreciated and respected his play. His all business personality made him a bit hard for the public to connect with him (if you're not from LA), unlike Shaq who I think everyone loves - well, except for Kobe- but still, he was an admirable dude.
It was also cool he was a Yankees fan.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, that is pretty sad. Yeah... I bet the pilot didn't want to fly but was pressured into it. And I bet that it comes out in later investigation in much the same way engineers said the Space Shuttle Challenger should not take off but they did anyway.

And I'm still in mourning for losing my all time favorite drummer, Neil Peart.
That totally sucked. He was an avid motorcycle guy too. I think he took some dirt path from Canada to central america on his BMW GS or something like that.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sheriff said they grounded their choppers yesterday becuase of the fog. He just should not have been flying.
LIke RC says you probably can't say no to Kobe.

OCL I have read allot of posts that mentioned VFR. Thanks to you I now know what it means. I hope hope he wouldn't be flying with anyone but the best but I think allot of pilots feel he was not relying on the instruments. I've read the term Scud or Skud allot. I think that means flying so low so you can see, which would imply to me the piilot wasn't relying on instrumentation. So was he really flying with a novice pilot?
UPDATE
"Zobayan was an instrument-rated pilot, Fox 5 in San Diego reported, and was qualified to fly in fog. According to tributes on social media, he helped aspiring helicopter pilots and was well respected in the flying community."
Well, it wasn't a novice pilot. Apparently he was Kobe's private pilot as well.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
Rock, I read up a little on the instrument thing. It sounds like the pilot could have switched over to Instruments, no problem. However, once he did that he would have only been able to land at an airport. I dont believe there is anything near that area that would have made this an easy decision. By the time you land at an airport, why bother with the helicopter?

That would have added another 30-60 minutes of commute time and they would have needed to find a car , at the last minute, on Sunday morning. Plus, late for the game. No big deal, compared to what ended up happening, but no pilot would want to do that to a VIP customer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
His all business personality made him a bit hard for the public to connect with him (if you're not from LA), unlike Shaq who I think everyone loves.
Shaq is definitely more affable than Kobe was and certainly still well regarded around here. The one person this city loves most is Magic. He walks on water around here. Even if you're not a basketball fan he's a pillar of the community and part of the Dodgers and Los Angeles Football Club ownership.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I got a chance to get 2nd row seats at a Seattle pre-season game against Miami. It was Shaq's second season there and had nothing to prove at that point in his career. Even though Seattle never plays Miami in the regular season, most of the place booed him as he came on the court for warmups. Shaq, a giant of a man from the second row, only smiled and waved at the crowd. He played most of the game, where other superstars can't be bothered with pre-season games. Such a class act.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts