Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I really felt that the stock white front turn signals on these bikes are quite an eyesore (specifically with my green/black theme), and so I had ordered myself a pair of smoked LED housings to replace them with. Before I go taking apart my bike again to install these, I wanted to know if I would still need resistors for them so that they don't hyper flash, or is that only for when replacing the stock bulbs with LED bulbs in the stock housings? I would think that by replacing the entire housing, I would not need resistors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The stock incandescent bulbs draw a higher current than a LED bulb. This high current is then the basis for the flash-rate of the stock flasher.
When the current draw is low, the stock flasher's internal timing is thrown off and results in a hyper-flash scenario.

If the replacement turn signals are designed to draw the same (or similar) amount of current, then the stock flasher will work as intended without any hyper-flashing.
If not, you will need a resistor across the leads to draw current and fool the stock flasher to flash at the correct rate.

Alternately, you can replace the stock flasher with a flasher that works with LEDs and regular bulbs..(for example https://www.amazon.com/Dewhel-0-02A...=1&keywords=led+flasher&qid=1625590315&sr=8-3)
These will flash at the correct rate irrespective of the kind of bulb used. In this case there is no need for a resistor to control the flash-rate.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
As above, replace the stock flasher relay (easy to do) with an aftermarket solid state flasher (cheap) and be done with it. Then you can replace the rear flashers with LEDs as well with no worries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock incandescent bulbs draw a higher current than a LED bulb. This high current is then the basis for the flash-rate of the stock flasher.
When the current draw is low, the stock flasher's internal timing is thrown off and results in a hyper-flash scenario.

If the replacement turn signals are designed to draw the same (or similar) amount of current, then the stock flasher will work as intended without any hyper-flashing.
If not, you will need a resistor across the leads to draw current and fool the stock flasher to flash at the correct rate.

Alternately, you can replace the stock flasher with a flasher that works with LEDs and regular bulbs..(for example Amazon.com: Dewhel 12V 0.02A-10A 2-Pin CF-12 Electronic LED Flasher Relay Fix For Turn Signal Light Fast Hyper Flash: Automotive)
These will flash at the correct rate irrespective of the kind of bulb used. In this case there is no need for a resistor to control the flash-rate.
Thanks! I just ordered one of those from that link.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As above, replace the stock flasher relay (easy to do) with an aftermarket solid state flasher (cheap) and be done with it. Then you can replace the rear flashers with LEDs as well with no worries.
My bike did not come with the factory rear plate bracket and thus I have no rear turn signals aside from what's integrated into my rear taillight. If I were to add LED rear signals (I guess I would need a new rear plate bracket of some kind that could house them, as what's currently on my bike does not have any holes for them to screw into.

But assuming I can somehow hook up those secondary rear turn signals + replace my taillight with the Motodynamic taillight which requires resistors, in this case, I would not have to worry about any hyper flashing or resistors (with that LED Flasher Relay), correct?

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
My bike did not come with the factory rear plate bracket and thus I have no rear turn signals aside from what's integrated into my rear taillight. If I were to add LED rear signals (I guess I would need a new rear plate bracket of some kind that could house them, as what's currently on my bike does not have any holes for them to screw into.

But assuming I can somehow hook up those secondary rear turn signals + replace my taillight with the Motodynamic taillight which requires resistors, in this case, I would not have to worry about any hyper flashing or resistors (with that LED Flasher Relay), correct?
The solid state turn signal relays don't change flash rate no matter what the load so if you put one of those in you:
a - don't need resistors for any new lights
b - don't need to worry about adding blinker genies (turns your turn signals into running lights)
c - won't be able to tell from the blink rate if a light burns out (without looking) because the blink rate never changes

Virtually every time I get on the bike I hit the 4 way flashers and can see from reflections in the garage if all 4 turn signals are working in a few seconds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The solid state turn signal relays don't change flash rate no matter what the load so if you put one of those in you:
a - don't need resistors for any new lights
b - don't need to worry about adding blinker genies (turns your turn signals into running lights)
c - won't be able to tell from the blink rate if a light burns out (without looking) because the blink rate never changes

Virtually every time I get on the bike I hit the 4 way flashers and can see from reflections in the garage if all 4 turn signals are working in a few seconds.
Amazing! Thank you!! 🍻

1 - 7 of 7 Posts