Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Some of that relates to how our brain process sensory input. When one input comes in very loudly, your brain might process it with priority and not bother with lesser inputs. Pickpockets utilize this to their advantage. They intentionally bump into you really hard to startle you, while they slip a hand into your pocket to take out your wallet. It's why I was advised by an old NYer to put my wallet in my front pocket and have a hand in that pocket covering the wallet, when walking in NYC.

It's also how sleight of hand magic tricks work.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
I wouldn't mind most of the helmet talk we hear, if it were true, or if there was evidence to show it was true. There isn't.

The only independent testing we have is the British tests. Shoei and Arai both have some very average helmets. Cost, or being handmade, doesn't buy you more safety. They don't score any higher than hjc, or anyone else. Schuberth didn't do well, at all. If the tests matter, an hjc was a higher quality helmet.

I think anyone would be happy to buy that helmet that would save their life. It's too bad we don't have much of a measurement to judge what that might be.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Snell puts helmets through some pretty rigorous testing before they certify helmets though. If it has a snell rating I would think it's pretty good. My Shoei does not becuase it has an internal sun visor and snell won't certify those.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Snell puts helmets through some pretty rigorous testing before they certify helmets though. If it has a snell rating I would think it's pretty good. My Shoei does not becuase it has an internal sun visor and snell won't certify those.
My dad used to rent a building to Snell when they first started out. It was pretty cool to watch because they had a tower and they would raise the helmets to different altitudes and then drop them and evaluate each helmet depending on how it responded to each drop. It was pretty fascinating.

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
Bell,and a few others have gone in on this MIPS technology. It sounds reasonable. Everything else is still a variation on the beer coolers we buy at 7/11 with a hard covering.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Number 1 - I know my head didn't impact the ground because the whole incident is very clear in my mind. It's funny how time slows down in these situations. I distinctly remember saying to myself, "This isn't going to end well" when the rear slid out a second time and I couldn't bring it back. The sound the bike made when it caught and then launched me, followed by the silence immediately afterward are still fresh 3 months later. And the really weird thing that happens when your mind is trying to process an overload of input - my sight was the only sense that worked. I had no sense of my extremities nor did I hear, feel, smell, or taste anything... until I hit the ground and it all came back! Because I had no sense of my hands and feet, my initial thoughts were that I was going to land on my face. Near the point of impact I remember thinking, "this is going to hurt".

<---------------->
This may not happen to everyone but it's definitely real. Why accidents and emergencies seem to dramatically slow down time

During two of my high speed crashed I distinctly remember time slowing down like a special effect in a movie. I clearly remember leaving the track then flying through the air for what seemed like forever (around 80 feet) thinking, "Am I dead?" and then BAM, BOOM, BAM seeing dirt...sky...dirt...sky...dirt wondering if it was ever going to end. I could hear myself bouncing but I don't remember feeling anything (luckily I bounce, or at least used to bounce, really well). Amazingly like you the first time my helmet barely brushed on something enough to leave a slight mark that was hard to see. My second high speed crash was slow motion as well but that one definitely required a new helmet.

I'm really liking those new Bell helmets.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shoei will let you send a helmet to them for critical examination and they'll send it back with a report. Maybe HJC does something similar??

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
My dad used to rent a building to Snell when they first started out. It was pretty cool to watch because they had a tower and they would raise the helmets to different altitudes and then drop them and evaluate each helmet depending on how it responded to each drop. It was pretty fascinating.
I heard they drop wieghts on them from different heights as well.

·
Registered
2017 N1K IVANS FLASH
202 Posts
I wouldn't mind most of the helmet talk we hear, if it were true, or if there was evidence to show it was true. There isn't.

The only independent testing we have is the British tests. Shoei and Arai both have some very average helmets. Cost, or being handmade, doesn't buy you more safety. They don't score any higher than hjc, or anyone else. Schuberth didn't do well, at all. If the tests matter, an hjc was a higher quality helmet.

I think anyone would be happy to buy that helmet that would save their life. It's too bad we don't have much of a measurement to judge what that might be.
how did NOLAN compare?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shoei will let you send a helmet to them for critical examination and they'll send it back with a report. Maybe HJC does something similar??
I wonder if the reports always come back, "Yep, you need a new helmet". lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wonder if the reports always come back, "Yep, you need a new helmet". lol
Mine didn't. I accidently let it drop onto a concrete garage floor by setting it on my bike's seat, which was not a stable place to put it. I turned my back and heard it hit and went, "Aw...sh*t!". Shoei website said they'd analyze helmets of theirs that take a hit and return, shipping-free, to you with a report. Sent it in, got it back...all was OK. Good service.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Gee I should have sent mine in for inspection... Then again, maybe not...
Helmet Automotive lighting Sports gear Headgear Material property

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
Nolan did Really well . You would have to call them a quality manufacturer. Every helmet they had was 4 out of 5 stars. That's a better average than most.

Kenors, yours shows why Shoei gives you the touch up paint when you buy the helmet...I think they still do?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts