Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fixing to remove the ecu to send in to Ivan on Tuesday. Should I disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Think I found the answer straight from Ivan on a different site. He said for the Yamaha Striker ,which I assume applies here as well, no need to disconnect the battery. Just make sure the key is off.

To the garage I go. That was easy. Took maybe 5 minutes.

20200904_193708.jpg

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
I've done it both ways. I've never heard of anyone having trouble, no matter what. I've sent all of mine using the post office "next day air" mylar envelopes. Its 25 bucks, and it's free if it's not on time. When I was testing the concours 24 updates, at high altitudes, I had to send the ecu back 5 times. No big deal. We had planned to do this. The ecu was always 5 or 6 hours late to his New York shop. We only had to pay once for all of this. They were always on time to his new address. You can insure the package for as much as you want, so it's a decent value.

A next day air box, of any kind, was usually close to 100 area with other shippers. Ivan usually ships it back fed ex , two day. I could send my ecu, on Monday, and be riding on Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a quote today for overnight shipping and $800 insurance of around $29. His place in SC is about 300 miles away so I'm tempted to drive there and back with the ecu instead of shipping it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Spoke to Ivan today and I'm gonna be taking a road trip to hand deliver the ecu on Friday. He said he'd have it done and me headed back home with it in hand in about 15 mins.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got finished up at Ivan's shop. Super
nice guy. Headed home to hook it up and see how much better she's gonna perform.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
You went through his drive through! Did you see any of his bikes? He had an old H2 500, two stroke that was completly beautiful. I believe he also had an old, 1972 blue 750 two stroke as well. Both were in perfect condition.

I'm not really into old bikes, but two strokes are the exception. We got screwed by emissions. Imagine how a 750cc two stroke would be with todays technology? Really, you wouldn't need 750cc for 200hp. 500cc would be plenty.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has a few older bikes. Not sure if they're the exact ones you described but they more than probably were. I wouldn't know if they were 2 strokes or not just by looking at them and he was helping another customer who brought in a Concours so we didn't discuss his bikes.

He did have several newer bikes in the garage as well. He had a cruiser I'd never seen before. A Yamaha (Star) Eluder. Cool looking bike.

He was a cool dude but from talking to him on the phone I would've never believed he was a young Asian feller. Go figger.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the ecu and went for a ride. I was initially not sure how I'd like the lack of engine braking but I found quickly that I don't really miss it at all.

The lack of engine braking and the smooth transition from on throttle to off throttle and vice versa is really nice.

I knew the bike was snatchy when I'd let off the throttle and roll back into it but I never realized just how bad it was. There is still just a slight bit of a "hit" if you abruptly crank the throttle but if you want to smoothly roll back into it it's easy to do now.

I'm not a speed demon or a peg scraper but I do notice the more instantaneous throttle response when you goose it. Whereas it would slightly hesitate when you got on it before, it now just goes. If any of you have a Pedal Commander in your vehicle it is akin to setting the PC at Sport+ and level 4. When you hit it it goes. No more lag time. It also seems to make blipping the throttle to rev match during a downshift much easier for me.

I've read reports of it reducing vibrations also. I took it on the interstate and had it up to 90 or so and it wasn't bothersome at all. To be honest though I did the 16/39 sprocket change early on so it's never really been a problem anyway. I notice with the 16/39 and 55 rear tire I'm showing 2mph faster than what the gps reads. I may go to a 40t rear sprocket to see if I can't get it dead accurate.

Overall, I think the flash is worth what Ivan charges for it and don't hesitate to recommend getting it.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
He has a few older bikes. Not sure if they're the exact ones you described but they more than probably were. I wouldn't know if they were 2 strokes or not just by looking at them and he was helping another customer who brought in a Concours so we didn't discuss his bikes.

He did have several newer bikes in the garage as well. He had a cruiser I'd never seen before. A Yamaha (Star) Eluder. Cool looking bike.

He was a cool dude but from talking to him on the phone I would've never believed he was a young Asian feller. Go figger.
He's not a young asian feller. That must have been an assistant. I think he's Russian Jewish or something like that, and he's upper 50s or more.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Overall, I think the flash is worth what Ivan charges for it and don't hesitate to recommend getting it.
Do you have stock exhaust? The flash works well regardless but works better with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The bike is totally stock and I currently have no plans to upgrade anything other than getting Traxxion Dynamics to rebuild the forks and rear shock. I like the differences the flash made.

I know he's a non-asian guy. Won't call him old because he and I probably aren't too different in age. I read on a post where someone was curious what he looked like. I described him as the young Asian to throw people off. If they've spoken to him on the phone they would be scratching their heads thinking he sounded nothing like a young Asian dude. At least that's what I hoped for anyway. I've been told I have a warped sense of humor.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I sort of thought you were kidding. Although I suppose we've all originated from either Mongolia or Africa :)
I had a '15 with the flash, stock exhaust, and it was pretty good. If I had hung onto the bike I would have probably done something with the exhaust.
I hear good things about traxxion.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
I liked it, and I think he would enjoy being called a young asian fellow. The flash Chowda has was finished , or updated, in late 2017. It was good, before, but this latest version is incredible. If someone has an earlier flash, they need to return it and get this e6 update. It's free, except for postage.

The engine braking is difficult for some people who rely on it to stop their bikes. It's kind of an evolution to riding. Much like offroad . In the 70's, and early 80's if you jumped a motorcycle, you had better land rear wheel first or you were in trouble. Now, due to better frames and suspension, you can land, front wheel first to set yourself up for a turn.

In the old days, our brakes were crap. You needed engine braking to stop. You dont now. It might play out differently if we had 10 engine braking settings to choose from, but when you only have one,, the last thing you want is heavy engine braking.

His concours 14 flash isnt better than the Ninjas, but the 14 is so restricted and poorly set up that the before and after is more impressive. No one else does anything like Ivan does. His software is so much better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts