Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Got these off eBay in 8mm for my '17. Less than a coffee at Starbucks.

You think a Honda/Suzuki spool will fit a Kawasaki?? NEVER! Got to be creative.

Worked out nicely. :grin:

1pair CNC Swing Arm Spools Slider Bobbins 6/8/10mm For Honda Suzuki Motorcycle
Hey motoman
The site says these are 2.2cm long - can you confirm?
My Keiti spools are 3cm long and I'm still not sure they'll miss the exhaust when the rear suspension is under compression.
Too bad they don't have them in black.

Rob

·
Registered
498 Posts
Reactions: robertv19

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Your better off with Pittbulls,,. At least its a brand name and cheaper if you want black,,. Thats what Im using a year now and no issues however Ive heard where spools will snap!!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-8mm-spool-kit

I just ordered the Al Express ones to try,,.
The added black color should protect the swing-arm from rubbing against the rear paddock stand when you lift?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Your better off with Pittbulls,,. At least its a brand name and cheaper if you want black,,. Thats what Im using a year now and no issues however Ive heard where spools will snap!!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-8mm-spool-kit

I just ordered the Al Express ones to try,,.
The added black color should protect the swing-arm from rubbing against the rear paddock stand when you lift?
I actually spoke to the guys who run Pitbull and they told me that they can't recommend any of their spools to work with the 2017 N1K and stock exhaust. They literally went down to the Kawi dealership and tried their spools.

I actually have a set of their spools, but the 10mm version from when I owned a ZX-14.

Rob

·
Banned
314 Posts
Hey motoman
The site says these are 2.2cm long - can you confirm?
My Keiti spools are 3cm long and I'm still not sure they'll miss the exhaust when the rear suspension is under compression.
Too bad they don't have them in black.
Rob
I would say that's accurate. The black disc adaptor in the pic is not attached to them at all, and you can mount them directly to the swingarm.

If they were any shorter, I doubt my Pitbull could get a grip on 'em.

I like to put a few Green accents on my Black N1K as a nod to Kawi Old Skool... :wink:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ive got the V&H brawlers so I don't have the same issue, however the short 8 mm Pitts Bulls really don't stick out very far,. Pit Bull should have the dimensions,,. I could measure mine if thats any help ?
If these don't work I'm not sure what will,,.
Your other option is to put them on and off each time or look into a lift that will lift the swing arms with out spools,,. The Trackside has that ability in there design however I never tried it,,.

I actually spoke to the guys who run Pitbull and they told me that they can't recommend any of their spools to work with the 2017 N1K and stock exhaust. They literally went down to the Kawi dealership and tried their spools.

I actually have a set of their spools, but the 10mm version from when I owned a ZX-14.

Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very nice!
These look just like the Puig spools.

What is this AliExpress?
Like an eBay strictly for Chinese knock-offs?

Once you get them, can you measure the length of just the spool and post it up?
They 22mm in length (2.2 cm) exactly. The color matches our Ninja Green to quite a extent. Search for AliExpress App on Android Play. Yeah, it's a sort of Chinese Ebay but quite reliable and secure. Have been using it for a while now.

Here's the link from where I got these -
http://s.aliexpress.com/uQJFz6vM

Cheers...

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
They 22mm in length (2.2 cm) exactly. The color matches our Ninja Green to quite a extent. Search for AliExpress App on Android Play. Yeah, it's a sort of Chinese Ebay but quite reliable and secure. Have been using it for a while now.

Here's the link from where I got these -
http://s.aliexpress.com/uQJFz6vM

Cheers...
Those look nice.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I would say that's accurate. The black disc adaptor in the pic is not attached to them at all, and you can mount them directly to the swingarm.

If they were any shorter, I doubt my Pitbull could get a grip on 'em.

I like to put a few Green accents on my Black N1K as a nod to Kawi Old Skool... :wink:
Cool - I'm the same.
I also have a PitBull so that's good to hear that these work with them.

I'm assuming that the plastic disk is there to protect the swing arm from the stand.
The new Puig spools have the same thing.

Rob

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Ive got the V&H brawlers so I don't have the same issue, however the short 8 mm Pitts Bulls really don't stick out very far,. Pit Bull should have the dimensions,,. I could measure mine if thats any help ?
If these don't work I'm not sure what will,,.
Your other option is to put them on and off each time or look into a lift that will lift the swing arms with out spools,,. The Trackside has that ability in there design however I never tried it,,.
Hey Lag

Sure - if you wouldn't mind measuring, that would be cool.
If you replace your exhaust, your options for spools are limitless.

That's what I currently do - install the spools, do my chain maintenance and then remove them.
Not the end of the world - but a PITA for sure.

To be honest, I don't ride with a passenger, so I'd be surprised if I would ever "bottom out" with these on.

Rob

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Robert V,,,,,,,,,,,,,See attached image,,.
20 mm or 0.78 of an inch,,. Also, if you go to the Revzila link I posted they have a fitment PDF that shows a Pre 14 and post 14 N1k fitment,,. Not sure if its accurate,,. Maybe someone could indicate if they are able to run spools with a OEM exhaust,,.

Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Auto part Wheel

Tire Auto part Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
711 Posts
Robert V,,,,,,,,,,,,,See attached image,,.
20 mm or 0.78 of an inch,,. Also, if you go to the Revzila link I posted they have a fitment PDF that shows a Pre 14 and post 14 N1k fitment,,. Not sure if its accurate,,. Maybe someone could indicate if they are able to run spools with a OEM exhaust,,.

View attachment 18313

View attachment 18321
I had spools on my bike with an OEM exhaust can installed, no issues.

See attached

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This is under fitment notes from the Pitt Bull site,,. Sounds like they are saying the Anod are OK till 2017 and not to use the plastic ones at all?

https://www.pit-bull.com/spool-kit-8mm-f0009-000

Do not use 8mm Delrin Spools on any Ninja 1000 with stock pipes as there will be contact under suspension load.
On 2017 Ninja 1000, remove spools before riding the motorcycle if using a stock exhaust pipe. Spools will damage exhaust under suspension load if not removed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had spools on my bike with an OEM exhaust can installed, no issues.

See attached
Me too. I don't ride with a passenger. Not sure if the spools have clearance or if my suspension just hasn't gone to full stroke with the spools on?

I suppose I could take out all the rear preload and go for a ride on a rough road and see how they fair. :confused::surprise:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Gents, are you finding that the 8mm Pit Bull spools (F0009-000) clear the stock mufflers? I wrote Pit Bull and their response was that using the smaller aluminum spools is OK on 2017+ bikes. If so, I'll order 'em asap.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.