Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Important

Hear ye Hear ye

Got my 8mm mini spools - and yes the swing arm lugs ARE 8mm - confirmed.

However I nearly dropped the bloody bike AND the mini spools do not clear the swing arms enough, and I now have little mark - not a scrape thank goodness on my swing arm from the stand . I can cover the scuff mark with matt black spray and it is aluminum, so no rust probs..

Yes the minis clear the muffler but the stand does not clear the swing arm enough

So now I have to chose between scrapping the whole project or getting some 8mm standard spools !

I have a brand new stand, some 8mm mini spools and 10mm standard spools - all brand new and all useless to me .

rats ! Think I will wait for someone else to find the solution before I make my move

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Before throwing a bunch of effort at this, think about going with the Sato kit. I'll bet you could adapt them to the 2014 since they are in the 10mm size. It looks as if an 8mm bolt woudl work just fine.

SATO RACING | Kawasaki Ninja 300 ('13) / Ninja 1000 / Z1000 ('10- ) Race Stand Hooks

The flat out work, despite being too expensive. They keep it all away from the swingarm.
They look nice but yes they are 10's. I bought the Viper stand via Amazon and I have asked the manufacturer if they will take the stand back. If they decline then I may double down and get some 8mm standard spools and try again. I have 8 big wheels for my Camry that I can use to build a wall down the side of the bike to stop it falling over until I get it all adjusted. Why am I doing this ? - to help wax the chain ? - its a crazy project and at this point I don't know why I bother. How do the dealers lift Ninja 1000s front and back ?

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
The ways the sato's are built, though, 8 would be no problem. The company could easily supply an 8mm bolt and call them 14 compatible. They are a brilliant design, and the only true fix for this machine. You coudl use an 8mm bolt, with flat washer, then be good to go. I wish you were closer, we'd try it.

Kawasaki used a "Jack" of sorts to lift bikes. It looks like two car jacks hooked together.

Its similar to this one the guy made himself..hint, hint...If you dont have a welder, get two auto jacks...Not that I'd know, but two jacks from the 1999 Dodge Neon will lift a Ninja 1000 like nobodys business...Grab it at the rear of the frame, near the front of the back tire...Good on you if your able to follow that second grade description.

Home made bike lift for the VN800

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
yep I have decided that spools are not the way to go - there is just too much danger of damage to the muffler caps /swing arms and the spool lugs themselves are not that strong as people report the mufflers can break them off with standard spools

I have found this which is THE ANSWER !

It's from the UK and they have a Canadian distributor but its quite expensive here
There is a US version of this that I am looking at - again expensive but wow this what is needed for the Ninja 1000

What every Ninja owner needs for Christmas !

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
That'll do it...I like that way more than a rear stand. Even with perfect conditions, its never been fun to hold a 500lb bike, on a turn-signal, with my left hand. Really?

I've gotten pretty good at it, and the Ninja's left grab bar helps, but the idea behind a rear stand sucks. Also, the length. I wish I had a dollar for every time I got the bike on the stand only to realize the handle is in the path of the garage door, by an inch.

THEN, if thats not enough, I'll sometimes go to the front stand. Another foot of length. The front stand is seriously in the way if you do fork work. Impossible to grease the steering bearings, too, because the pin is under the lower triple clamp. I think the Abba stand would accomplish both. Put bike on stand, then use cheap car jack to slide under the motor to lift front. Pleas try it as soon as you can, I'd be curious.

We wont even talk abotu storage of the two monster size things I have...

A friend has a perfect lift for his bikes. Permanently mounted to the ceiling of his garage. He can suspens gold wings wiht it. Until I go there, I might look into the abba. Thankd for posting this.

Oh, a huge thank you to Kawasaki for saving two pounds of weight and not giving us a center stand. A-holes. I think all bikes should have a centerstand. We'll take it off if we dont want the weight. Sport touring? OK, but we dont have a way to keep the bike straight up if it gets a flat tire...unacceptable.

Reactions: allserene

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seriously, really, honest..dont skip over what Allserene said. It is important. Reading what he posted will save you from swingarm replacement. The T rex spools are great, but way too large in size.

Watch the physical size of the spools. Obviously, the 8 mm, 10, or whatever we decide as to be correct.. bolt size has to be right, but the actual OUTSIDE DIAMETER is a big deal on the Ninja's and z 1000. If they are too large, the spool will contact the exhaust. Thats why its mentioned all the time. The 10mm size is nto really the issue.

Either get tiny ones, like these

Keiti Mini Swingarm Spools - Motorcycle Superstore

Or, remove when riding the bike.

Heres some more info.

Warning: Dont put large spools on the Z1000 with Stock exhaust - Page 4
I believe it's not the diameter but the amount that the spools protrudes out away from the swing arm that will crash with the mufflers. The minis seem to be shorter thus clearing the mufflers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I believe it's not the diameter but the amount that the spools protrudes out away from the swing arm that will crash with the mufflers. The minis seem to be shorter thus clearing the mufflers.
That is why I bought the minis but although they clear the mufflers, they don't clear the swing arm above them and the stand scraped the swing arm giving me a spray job with Walmart matt black paint !

I have the ABBA stand now which is fabulous and lets me remove the front or rear wheel and so spools are just something that happen to other people !

I will convert the paddock stand to lift the back of my lawn tractor to put chains on in winter, and throw the spools away or give them to goodwill for the grannies to buy

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Abba bike stand is a nice product and really not too expensive at ~$254 dollars from what I saw. Many buy the rear stand from Pit Bull rear stand for ~$150 plus spools for ~$20 and then the front stand for another ~$150. To lift the front of the bike the Abba adds ~$135 so the total investment is more with the Abba stands but only about $70 more.

You could get cheaper stands(front, rear and spools) as I did at Cycle Gear all for less than $100. I only lift my bike probably 2 to 4 times a year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The Abba bike stand is a nice product and really not too expensive at ~$254 dollars from what I saw. Many buy the rear stand from Pit Bull rear stand for ~$150 plus spools for ~$20 and then the front stand for another ~$150. To lift the front of the bike the Abba adds ~$135 so the total investment is more with the Abba stands but only about $70 more.

You could get cheaper stands(front, rear and spools) as I did at Cycle Gear all for less than $100. I only lift my bike probably 2 to 4 times a year.
With the ABBA stand the bike is almost rocking at the mid point - I can lift the front wheel off the ground with one hand. That means I could prop up the front wheel with a piece of wood under the bottom of the fork or use a car jack if I was lazy. Or I cold strap the back of the bike down to lift the front wheel. It balances just like a center stand on a 1200 Bandit so you don't need anything more than the basic ABBA stand.

It also has the advantage of easing oil changes as I can get the oil container under the raised bike. Also, when I put my decals on, it allowed me to have the bike upright and straight so I could see they were aligned.

Also, when I put the electrical points under the seat for my GPS/phone/camera, the bike was high and level and made soldering and cable routing a lot easier. I suppose that would be so for spool lifts too.

I had a rear stand and spools on my VFR but this ABBA stand is the bee's knees (dog's bollocks). Love it. I almost wanted to come out of retirement and be their US agent - almost.

I don't see how a pit bull or any rear stand could safely miss the swing arm and the muffler caps without enormous care and danger of scratching at least. I have never seen a bike that is less a candidate for a rear stand/spool lift than the NIK. It's like running three girlfriends at once - it can be done, but it isn't a formula for resting easy and without worry. I know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...I have never seen a bike that is less a candidate for a rear stand/spool lift than the NIK. It's like running three girlfriends at once - it can be done, but it isn't a formula for resting easy and without worry. I know.
3 girlfriends at once? ...and you know? You're gonna need a minivan not a bike with a posse like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
3 girlfriends at once? ...and you know? You're gonna need a minivan not a bike with a posse like that.
Haha ! those were the days - glad they are gone.
I have had eight wives - but only three of them were mine.

Seriously though, some things cannot be risked, and dropping a brand new 500 lb bike on one's shins is one of those things, and for quite a few reasons.

It should be warm enough tomorrow that I can spray the swing arm with Wally black matt paint to cover up the scuffing that the rear stand/spools caused. The bike now has 1 mile on the clock from going up and down the drive and bedding in the brakes.

Another week or so I am hoping for very heavy rain to clear the salt and grit, and then a warm up - and then I will be on the blower to the insurance agent to get the show on the road

The tension rises.....

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Agree with what you said about the stand missing the swingarm. My Pitbull worked when I used mini spools, but I did add some plastic protection film to the sides of the arm. It FIT, but barely, and was a hassle. The Sato Hooks are what this bike needs. I was lucky enough to find used ones.

As far as buying cheap stands.....Dont let the idea that you use them occasionally be a reason not to buy quality. I'm not saying it has to be pitbull....K Mart is fine, if its sturdy.

But, a stand is like buying a good tool. Buy cheap junk, and you'll buy again. The cheap ones you see on ebay, sort-of work, but are not sturdy enough to trust.

Our bikes are about as heavy as anything you can realistically put a stand under. Many bikes that are heavier come with a centerstand. This one should have.

Buying a good stand hurts once, when you pay for it. Then you forget...The cheap one reminds you every time you touch it, forever.

They are so big, and bulky, ebay is a poor place to find one. Shipping is expensive, so theres not much left for the stand itself.

Watch the local classified ads, I found both of mine on there. I paid 75.00 for a pitbull rear, and 100 for the front. All I needed to do was stop into Cycle Gear and get the correct sized pin.

The bikes worth at least 10,000. Dotn try to save a hundred and risk tipping over.

Reactions: allserene

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I take it that there is no U.S. distributor for the ABBA stand as yet?
Got mine from Canada - couldn't find one in the U.S. Blue Streak Racing in Canada - it came fast and they charge US or Canada $ - your choice ...... ask for the bigger fittings as my original left side fitting was a little sloppy and the UK head office sent me a bigger (longer) one. LOVE my ABBA stand.

Ok its going to be 60F today and my Ninja 1000 has 1 mile on the clock from going up and down the drive - and 10 minutes ago I got my insurance card - and so....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Juz4W9yEYA

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Nah, for N1k ABS 2014 owners, spools are just something that happen to other people who are living in a spools paradise, otherwise they will be hunting for cheap swing arm spray paint like me. Or I would be if I could face the freezing garage to get in my car and go to Autozone. Why am I living in Wisconsin while the al quada prisoners are living in the Caribbean ?

The pain of paying for an ABBA stand soon fades, but the pleasure of using it goes on and on. "A thing of beauty is a joy forever"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked up a Bikemaster rear stand which has adapters for both spools and the swingarm. I bought standard spools and it looks like they could be a problem so I just used the swingarm adapters and they work great so the spools stay off. Now I just need a portable rear stand to take on my cross country ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I just picked up a Bikemaster rear stand which has adapters for both spools and the swingarm. I bought standard spools and it looks like they could be a problem so I just used the swingarm adapters and they work great so the spools stay off. Now I just need a portable rear stand to take on my cross country ride.
Yep more confirmation that spools are a world of worry with this bike..
I only plan the occasional over-nighter so a stand should not be needed to adjust the chain along the way
When me and my pals used to do Scotland, I used to wind my 1200 Bandit on full throttle in low gear coming out of the beautiful bends - and every 3 days or so my chain was slopping around and I needed the center stand to do the adjustment properly. With a two day ride I will be able to do it in my garage. I met a guy in Anacortes , Washington State and he had just ridden his bike across the country and back ! It was a Harley, so it had one of those rubber bands instead of a chain. A sophisticated aluminum center stand would have been nice on the N1k. Its not a track bike so why not .

41 - 60 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.