Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
that's a beautiful bike
Your Highness: It's a totally crap photo too - it looks a lot better in the flesh. I have had a lot of bikes (brand new) but this one just takes my breath away.. I kiss it before I go to bed - but nobody knows
The quality is superb and the engine note and everything... can't wait for riding weather. Decided to swap the oil out with regular oil at 150 miles (not filter) then do dealers service at 600 with synthetic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hahaha I think that the 2014 is absolutely beautifully I picked mine up a bout 3 weeks ago and was forced to put it in my shop till yesterday 0when I was able to take it out for it first ride and I absolutely fell in love with it on the first mile hope you get as much out of your bike as I'm getting out of mine have fun and enjoy. By order of the KING hahahahaha

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
971 Posts
The integrity of this thread has been challenged by many posts.

Reading through the complete volume, it is challenging to find a pristine or unifying theme.

As long as we stick to the rear spool topic I think the forum will survive.

Anybody know a good moderator?

I read a post that someone cautioned against too large a spool not the thread size. That was my concern. I should have included the quote. My mistake. Cheerio and carry on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I understand but unfortunately I can't tell the size of that spool and it all depends also if you have the stock exhaust but like some one else said if they are too big you can always remove them before you go on a ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The integrity of this thread has been challenged by many posts.

Reading through the complete volume, it is challenging to find a pristine or unifying theme.

As long as we stick to the rear spool topic I think the forum will survive.

Anybody know a good moderator?

I read a post that someone cautioned against too large a spool not the thread size. That was my concern. I should have included the quote. My mistake. Cheerio and carry on.
Hi Tony- I wonder if you are saying this discussion is inappropriate in some way - especially as you were calling for a good moderator ? You are a senior member and I am Junior so please put me right if we are breaking a rule. George and I have the same 2014 spec bike and there are changes and there is little to be googled as the bike is so new. Even Kawasaki can't help and they manufactured it... I will receive the 8mm mini spools in a couple of days and I will then be able to reinforce the post that said the 8's fit. I have the bike and the 10mm spools that came with my rear stand, and I can say categorically that the 10 spool won't go in that little lug thread.. A lot of people are getting the wrong info and are buying 10's so I think it is really important to get to the bottom of it...thanks...

·
Registered
971 Posts
yeah but this thread is about the 2014 model

The spool lug thread has changed to 8mm..

Please read back up the thread where an actual 2014 owner has fitted 8mm and I tried to fit a 10 in my 2014 bike and the bolt thread was far too big
I was reacting to your post. No harm, no foul. I misunderstood and was apparently misunderstood. Hey, who called me a senior citizen?

Not relating to you or your post, but really does this forum have a moderator? Do we have to reach a certain level of members in order to warrant one?

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
It looks liek the older bikes (2011-2013) used the 10mm size. For some reason, they dropped down to the 8mm for 2014. Has anyone actually tried spools on the 2014? You have to visualize how they get close to the exhaust as the suspension compresses.

With the new exhaust, there may be clearance??? On the older bike, there was nto a ton of interference. JUST enough to be a problem if the spools were large. A slight exhaust change could have eliminated that.

I cannot remember a four page thread ever staying 100% on topic. If that was a "rule", we'd need moderating 24/1.

Heres a broken one: http://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-...ont-put-large-spools-z1000-stock-exhaust.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I was reacting to your post. No harm, no foul. I misunderstood and was apparently misunderstood. Hey, who called me a senior citizen?

Not relating to you or your post, but really does this forum have a moderator? Do we have to reach a certain level of members in order to warrant one?

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."
I get it now Tony - we who remember the Titanic disaster must stick together. My understanding of technical American English is rather limited and I occasionally call a wrench a "spanner" and drywall "plasterboard" and tires "tyres", so I sometimes struggle for meaning. Moderator ? as long as it isn't me because I will be riding my Ninja 1000

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It looks liek the older bikes (2011-2013) used the 10mm size. For some reason, they dropped down to the 8mm for 2014. Has anyone actually tried spools on the 2014? You have to visualize how they get close to the exhaust as the suspension compresses.

With the new exhaust, there may be clearance??? On the older bike, there was nto a ton of interference. JUST enough to be a problem if the spools were large. A slight exhaust change could have eliminated that.

I cannot remember a four page thread ever staying 100% on topic. If that was a "rule", we'd need moderating 24/1.

Heres a broken one: Warning: Dont put large spools on the Z1000 with Stock exhaust
I should get mine mid week latest so I will fit them straight away and report back with photos and clearances

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, I can report that the 2014 does indeed need 8 mm spools. I bought & returned a T Rex Racing set of spools, front axle sliders & frame sliders as the kit was sold with 10 mm spools. Didn't want to take the chance that the frame sliders wouldn't work also. So in place I bought/mounted a set of Bike Master 8 mm which are large with no clearance issues so far. Haven't tried them with the hard bags so far but just looking at the swing arm I don't think there will be any issues. Once installed, I tried to set up my rear stand, a Pit Bull but had to remove the lower reflector to provide the last little bit of needed clearance to lever the stand. It just cleared & did indeed work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, I can report that the 2014 does indeed need 8 mm spools. I bought & returned a T Rex Racing set of spools, front axle sliders & frame sliders as the kit was sold with 10 mm spools. Didn't want to take the chance that the frame sliders wouldn't work also. So in place I bought/mounted a set of Bike Master 8 mm which are large with no clearance issues so far. Haven't tried them with the hard bags so far but just looking at the swing arm I don't think there will be any issues.
Great new Mikey - mine (8mm) arrive in day or two. Even if the clearance looks ok, please check that a heavy impact with a pot hole or giving a lift to Snooki and/or Chris Christie will not compress the suspension enough to hit em with the muffles caps. Mine are mini spools and will be ok. If standard spools are ok then I may change to make an easier lift, but there are so many reports of standard spools fouling - but that may be pre-2014 models and they may have cured it now--don't know. I am not going to risk a smashed swing arm lug until I know for total absolute certain sure that standard spools cannot be made to hit the muffler caps even with nelly the elephant on the back going down a Wisconsin road after the polar vortex.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was looking at the spools that came with my T-Rex kit and I noticed that the spool brought a pretty substantial spacer I'm wondering that if the spacer is removed if that will eliminate the spools hitting the exhaust unfortunately I cant check because my 2012 z1000 does not have the stock exhaust

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Be sure and lubricate the bolts when yo put them in. Mine corroded like crazy before I did.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.