Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Seriously, really, honest..dont skip over what Allserene said. It is important. Reading what he posted will save you from swingarm replacement. The T rex spools are great, but way too large in size.

Watch the physical size of the spools. Obviously, the 8 mm, 10, or whatever we decide as to be correct.. bolt size has to be right, but the actual OUTSIDE DIAMETER is a big deal on the Ninja's and z 1000. If they are too large, the spool will contact the exhaust. Thats why its mentioned all the time. The 10mm size is nto really the issue.

Either get tiny ones, like these

Keiti Mini Swingarm Spools - Motorcycle Superstore

Or, remove when riding the bike.

Heres some more info.

Warning: Dont put large spools on the Z1000 with Stock exhaust - Page 4

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Its not as if these are an industry standard, but they sort of are. Either 8 or 10mm. My 2012 uses 10mm, but it could have changed?

BUT, 6mm is not even an option. WAY too small. I think 6 was an old Suzuki size? Its nice that the same folks are in charge of our warranty. If you get time, send an e mail back and call her stupid and dumb. Our society is too friendly now, Too un-punishing for mistakes. Call her fat and ugly for good measure.

Really, that cant be a hard question since they get warranty claims for swingarms being damaged from the wrong spools being put on. If the spool is strong enough, and the rider heavy enough, it will rip off the mount from he swingarm when it hits.

Reactions: Clint1975

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Hey, did you really measure yours by inserting a bolt? No way they changed these between 2011-2013, did they?

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
It looks liek the older bikes (2011-2013) used the 10mm size. For some reason, they dropped down to the 8mm for 2014. Has anyone actually tried spools on the 2014? You have to visualize how they get close to the exhaust as the suspension compresses.

With the new exhaust, there may be clearance??? On the older bike, there was nto a ton of interference. JUST enough to be a problem if the spools were large. A slight exhaust change could have eliminated that.

I cannot remember a four page thread ever staying 100% on topic. If that was a "rule", we'd need moderating 24/1.

Heres a broken one: http://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-...ont-put-large-spools-z1000-stock-exhaust.html

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Be sure and lubricate the bolts when yo put them in. Mine corroded like crazy before I did.

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
The ways the sato's are built, though, 8 would be no problem. The company could easily supply an 8mm bolt and call them 14 compatible. They are a brilliant design, and the only true fix for this machine. You coudl use an 8mm bolt, with flat washer, then be good to go. I wish you were closer, we'd try it.

Kawasaki used a "Jack" of sorts to lift bikes. It looks like two car jacks hooked together.

Its similar to this one the guy made himself..hint, hint...If you dont have a welder, get two auto jacks...Not that I'd know, but two jacks from the 1999 Dodge Neon will lift a Ninja 1000 like nobodys business...Grab it at the rear of the frame, near the front of the back tire...Good on you if your able to follow that second grade description.

Home made bike lift for the VN800

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
That'll do it...I like that way more than a rear stand. Even with perfect conditions, its never been fun to hold a 500lb bike, on a turn-signal, with my left hand. Really?

I've gotten pretty good at it, and the Ninja's left grab bar helps, but the idea behind a rear stand sucks. Also, the length. I wish I had a dollar for every time I got the bike on the stand only to realize the handle is in the path of the garage door, by an inch.

THEN, if thats not enough, I'll sometimes go to the front stand. Another foot of length. The front stand is seriously in the way if you do fork work. Impossible to grease the steering bearings, too, because the pin is under the lower triple clamp. I think the Abba stand would accomplish both. Put bike on stand, then use cheap car jack to slide under the motor to lift front. Pleas try it as soon as you can, I'd be curious.

We wont even talk abotu storage of the two monster size things I have...

A friend has a perfect lift for his bikes. Permanently mounted to the ceiling of his garage. He can suspens gold wings wiht it. Until I go there, I might look into the abba. Thankd for posting this.

Oh, a huge thank you to Kawasaki for saving two pounds of weight and not giving us a center stand. A-holes. I think all bikes should have a centerstand. We'll take it off if we dont want the weight. Sport touring? OK, but we dont have a way to keep the bike straight up if it gets a flat tire...unacceptable.

Reactions: allserene

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Agree with what you said about the stand missing the swingarm. My Pitbull worked when I used mini spools, but I did add some plastic protection film to the sides of the arm. It FIT, but barely, and was a hassle. The Sato Hooks are what this bike needs. I was lucky enough to find used ones.

As far as buying cheap stands.....Dont let the idea that you use them occasionally be a reason not to buy quality. I'm not saying it has to be pitbull....K Mart is fine, if its sturdy.

But, a stand is like buying a good tool. Buy cheap junk, and you'll buy again. The cheap ones you see on ebay, sort-of work, but are not sturdy enough to trust.

Our bikes are about as heavy as anything you can realistically put a stand under. Many bikes that are heavier come with a centerstand. This one should have.

Buying a good stand hurts once, when you pay for it. Then you forget...The cheap one reminds you every time you touch it, forever.

They are so big, and bulky, ebay is a poor place to find one. Shipping is expensive, so theres not much left for the stand itself.

Watch the local classified ads, I found both of mine on there. I paid 75.00 for a pitbull rear, and 100 for the front. All I needed to do was stop into Cycle Gear and get the correct sized pin.

The bikes worth at least 10,000. Dotn try to save a hundred and risk tipping over.

Reactions: allserene

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Ishi, I agree.

Until we add a third wheel, there is no guarantee of not tipping over , is there?

Reactions: Ishikawa
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.