Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I originally went to 16/39. But ended up changing the rear back a few weeks later. Didn't like the loss of power. 16 up front instead of 15 is perfect. One or the other though, not both.
Good point. It's all a matter of preference and the bike's mission. The 16 on front and stock rear might be better for me in some situations, but for the long haul my current set-up is working. It just seems strange to run twisties in 2nd gear using 3rd only to accelerate and back to 2nd to brake. Just a mental adjustment, but lots of fun!

Both sprockets are easy mods and they can just as easily be put back. The main thing is to recognize the bike's, and rider's, limitations if you are on the non ABS model.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I switched to a 39 tooth rear back a couple years ago and shortened the stock chain to maintain as close as possible the stock wheelbase. I never counted the links I removed but I'm now replacing the chain and sprockets and can confirm a 110 link chain fits perfect without any cutting. Not only does it save me a bit of time but also saves a few bucks too getting the shorter chain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What is the 39T Part number that we need?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts