Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ty sir. Wow, $575 seems stiff for rearsets. Woodcraft is in the $3xx's I think? They are an important component, but I've had good luck with cheap Chinese ripoffs as well.
YW. Problem is Woodcraft doesn’t make them for our bike, and the Chinese knock offs don’t have the level of adjustability, at least not the ones I’ve seen in person.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Sorry for the poor quality photo, but a part of me says you guys are losers for not ordering
Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror
these clip ons. They dont look like a complicated mess, or anything like that, do they? I remember seeing them, years ago, and wondering what went wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Rock, those were for real. Over Racing. Made in Japan. They were expensive, too.

02603, you know how much I enjoy spending other peoples money, right? Wirh that said, what shock are you going to buy? When you do, make sure it has adjustable length.

The back end of this bike sits low. Even if you dont replace rhe shock, you should buy an adjustable link. You can adjust the link to raise the back end. I think this is why the stock nars dont bother me, much...

When you raise the back end, it feels like the bars have been lowered.

Oh, and since you have a bearing supported shift lever, you might consider this factory pro shift spring. It's expensive, and a complete ***** to install, but it really makes this bike shift. If he has a complete kit (cal and ask) it's well worth the money, bit the spring, at 39.99+shipping, is a worthwhile mod, too.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry for the poor quality photo, but a part of me says you guys are losers for not ordering View attachment 32427 these clip ons. They dont look like a complicated mess, or anything like that, do they? I remember seeing them, years ago, and wondering what went wrong.
Are you kidding me, I could have had those works of art instead of the Apex setup? You have ruined my day. ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That looks German to me. They are the ones that excel in over-engineering. Or Italian... who can turn the most mundane and boring motorcycle part into a sculpted objet d'art.

In Japan, over-complicated contraption like that wouldn't have made it past the 2nd kaizen committee meeting. Precision CNC milled 7075-T6 would've been replaced with stamped recycled mild steel, with loose tolerance... and work just as well.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Rock, those were for real. Over Racing. Made in Japan. They were expensive, too.

02603, you know how much I enjoy spending other peoples money, right? Wirh that said, what shock are you going to buy? When you do, make sure it has adjustable length.

The back end of this bike sits low. Even if you dont replace rhe shock, you should buy an adjustable link. You can adjust the link to raise the back end. I think this is why the stock nars dont bother me, much...

When you raise the back end, it feels like the bars have been lowered.

Oh, and since you have a bearing supported shift lever, you might consider this factory pro shift spring. It's expensive, and a complete * to install, but it really makes this bike shift. If he has a complete kit (cal and ask) it's well worth the money, bit the spring, at 39.99+shipping, is a worthwhile mod, too.

Ok, stop spending my money, I'm already my own worst enemy when it comes to that. Shifting on my bike is like butter, now that the shifter peg is in the correct position, there are no more false neutrals.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
For clip ons, anyone used Woodcraft? 2.5" seems reasonable, but not sure re clearances.
You may find those limiting adjustability having pinch bolts on both sides of the clamp, they will be running into the lip on the top tree on both sides. I spent allot of time finding that sweet spot with the Apex clip on's, I think you will find that you will compromise comfort and functionality in order to make those safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks, that comment makes sense. I've always had allegiances to certain manufacturers from when I raced. Woodcraft/CFM gave good support to racers, but Apex looks legit as well. Controls and tires are the only contact points between us and hungry asphalt, so getting it right is worth the extra dollars. I'll have to look at the risers the previous owner put on my bike, the fork tubes aren't even showing, and the bars are way too high and wide for my preferences, even when riding for hours.
The lower pegs really drive me nuts too; I feel like I can't control the bike with my legs, which is very weird. Your mods make a lotta sense to me.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks, that comment makes sense. I've always had allegiances to certain manufacturers from when I raced. Woodcraft/CFM gave good support to racers, but Apex looks legit as well. Controls and tires are the only contact points between us and hungry asphalt, so getting it right is worth the extra dollars. I'll have to look at the risers the previous owner put on my bike, the fork tubes aren't even showing, and the bars are way too high and wide for my preferences, even when riding for hours.
The lower pegs really drive me nuts too; I feel like I can't control the bike with my legs, which is very weird. Your mods make a lotta sense to me.
Happy to help, I only like to spend my money (and others) once. I was considering that same Woodcraft set too, luckily I saw Volfy's post on his setup. Had I not, I would have been returning, or possibly eating those Woodcrafts.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts