Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am setting my 1000 up to start taking it to work and need a rear rack to hold a small cooler (My Lunch and 2 sodas) any one knows who makes racks for the 2013 Ninja 1000?
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Ventura Products make a rack. I just installed one on my 2014 with oem bags. Very nice stuff. Have used them on previous bikes.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ventura

Ventura Products make a rack. I just installed one on my 2014 with oem bags. Very nice stuff. Have used them on previous bikes.
Hello Old Fart,

I visited the Ventura website and was wondering if you have any experience with the seat bra. What can it do exactly? I am looking for a simple lightweight system to hold a seat bag. Thanks for your comment.........

mrsand

·
Registered
627 Posts
Seat Bra

Ok....the item is advertized on the Ventura website. I guess its designed for use in attaching a bag. I was looking to find a way to secure a bag without buying racks or additional supports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Ventura rack that I use when required. Is quick to fit (removed grab rails and fit L-brackets and rack) and takes only 15 mins to unpack from box and fit to bike and attached bag. Is sturdy and the accompanying bags fit quickly and securely. My one criticism of the Ventura stuff is that it is a bit expensive for what you get (i.e. soft luggage that is not waterproof nor lockable).

Have also used the larger of the seat bags on day trips and it sits fine on the bike, although it has never been fully loaded (1/4 full only to be honest). Tend to use the rack if carrying anything of volume.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Another good way to do this is to use the passenger seat.

Several peopel i know have bought a used rear seat. You take this seat and attach a givi top case mount to it. You can cut away the foam, and recover the seat if you want to.

Heres an example. Wrong bike, but you get the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtIrHynlhI

I made one for my Ninja and i use it all the time. I bought a very small box that I use most often, but the universal mount works with the large ones, too.

The only disadvantage is not being able to carry a passenger with it on, but who cares if its on the commuter bike?

A good way to get a passenger seat is to buy Kawasaki's accessory gel seat set. Save the good seat for the passenger, then use the stock one for this rack mount.

Used passenger seats show up on ebay, but often sell for a big price because people do this with them.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Best and worst part of doing this is you wont even know its there.

The first long ride I went on, I did not remember it was there. Hot summer day and I went to the Yamaha dealership. I'm guessing 30-40 people in the parking lot.

My green ninja attracts looks. Thats for sure. I step off the bike and did the most amazing backwards kick you've ever seen. The box went airborn at least ten feet. The noise was unreal.

I then stepped back and sort of acted like I meant to do it....I dont think anyone believed me, but i had to do something.

Its good, though. If you cut the foam away, then recover, it looks factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can picture it in my mind, can you post a pic of your bike with the Givi on, thanks.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
I will...but I have an awesome excuse. Garage door is the ultimate security system since its frozen to the floor. I cant get close to the bike! Its supposed to thaw out soon, then I will. If I force it, I'll rip the door in half!

Heres the exact box I am using, and it looks a lot like this.

The Best Literbike for the Street - Motorcycle.com

Better on our bikes since the back end does not sit so high. The box is cheap, too. Way under 100.00

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow no wait, don't want you to brake the door, O wait let me turn down the AC to read this better lol... It was 80 degrees here in South Florida today.

I look forward to the pics, I am excited to do this mod.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
80 degrees.....Man, theres no reason I should not fly down and take, oh, maybe 6-8 weeks just to make sure this project goes well. Its so cold and miserabel here.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Winter Time in Florida

Yea...its been a rough winter here in southwest Florida the last week...hmmm lets give the thermom a CHECK......its a little chilli today--75 degrees...think I'll go for a ride this afternoon after it warms up to 79....seeya:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea...its been a rough winter here in southwest Florida the last week...hmmm lets give the thermom a CHECK......its a little chilli today--75 degrees...think I'll go for a ride this afternoon after it warms up to 79....seeya:D
That's cold, lol wait warm lol....

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
I finally got the door open. It released with such force, and loud POP.

Anyway, I slid it on the bike. Before I put the mount down, I opened the seat, and removed the cover.

I used a big, bread knife to make an "L" shape from the foam. I re-stapled it, then bolted the mount on. I rarely take a passenger with me, so this is usually on the bike at all times.

That big silver case int he background is for my Concours 14. It will also fit. It looks silly, but I used it for grocery shopping one day when the car was in the shop.

That big white blob is just what you think it is. On th eifrst cold morning, here in SLC, I had a flock of 10 baby quail invade my garage. When the parents realized their babies were "stuck", they came in to help.

My granddaughter screamed, shut the door, and went to school. Severla hours later, I got home and found more bird s*&T than I ever saw in my life.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
One cool thing I missed is this.

The rack easily fits on the seat, and you'll have at least a 3 inch range where the plate can fit.

Givi sells backrests for these boxes. It just so happened, the backrest is in a perfect position for my GIANT top case. I'll get you a pic of that. It looks silly, but works well.

I went 2 inches too far back for the rest to work on the small case.

Its not easy to get on or off the bike, anyway, so why not place it where the backrest works? Having a backrest would be awesome during a commute. When you ge tti all put together, maybe sit on the bike and have someone move the case to the front, or rear, and find the perfect spot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts