Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently lowered my brake pedal (2020) and now need to adjust the mechanism that initiates the brake light. Can someone tell me the easiest way to get to this adjuster? I am trying not to take off the rear set as I think it's behind that. I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.
Thanks!
Corey

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
I know this is the wrong bike, but the switch is similar, if not identical.

This video is good because he shows how to adjust the sensor. On the ninja , the switch is buried behind the rearset and is difficult to see.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
When I lowered the pegs on my Ninjas I've simply unhooked the spring from the peg it hooks on looped a piece of wire from the spring to the peg.
This solution was reached when I couldn't adjust the brake switch far enough and started trying to bend/mutilate the spring to make it longer. The extra wire was ultra simple to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen videos (not for the Ninja 1000 specifically). The issue is I cannot see this spring, I think I've been able to feel it behind the rear set but I cannot get in there to make any adjustments. Kenors, did you remove the rear set? I can't see where a spring attaches to the peg. If you have any pictures or can be more specific that would be great.
Much appreciated,
Corey

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not taking anything from @kenors, but I was curious why you cannot see the springs, so ventured out to the garage and thought I would quick snap a couple shots. Sorry for the quality they are quick and I am quick to post (on a short break!). Arrow on the right points to the sensor spring, Arrow on the left points to the return spring. On the second photo lower arrow points to the sensor spring, upper arrow pointes to the return spring. First photo taken from outside the foot brake peddle, second photo from behind the foot brake peddle. Hope this helps.

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Flash photography Automotive design Stairs

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
OK, I'm not sure if the 2020 is identical but this was the 2011-2019 Ninja arrangement. The big spring shown is the brake pedal return spring folks complain about being too strong. The little spring goes up and hooks to the brake light switch. The copper wire is the little extension I added. The first time I did this I pulled the pedal mounting bracket off but once I figured out how it all went together all I did was unhook the brake switch spring and bend the copper wire around where it needed to be. Needle nose pliers helps a lot. If you do need to remove the footpeg mount it's only a couple bolts and easy to do. Once you do you'll see how everything works.
Other folks have mentioned on the newer Ninjas there's a separate switch for the cruise control you have to worry about as well.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Vehicle brake

·
Registered
732 Posts
@kenors, as you can see by the photos I posted (2020) our bikes are very similar. There is nothing else attached to the foot peddle except these two springs. Well, other than the brake of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Ken and George for posting the photos and an explanation. I was trying to access from a point further back. So my issue is that once I adjusted the brake pedal lower the brake light stays on all the time. Was the copper wire a fix for this or have either of you reached in there to make the adjustment to the nut that resets the point the brake light lights up?

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
I originally spent a bit of time trying to adjust the brake light switch but when I got the brake pedal adjusted to my liking, it was out of range of the switch adjustment. That only leaves bending/modifying the spring or extending it somehow. That spring material is a PITA to bend so I took the steps I did. It's pretty easy to eyeball the spring, pull it down with pliers until the brake light comes on. Then add the extension you need and adjust to your own satisfaction.

Reactions: NinjaJoe

·
Registered
732 Posts
If I were in the spot you are, I think I would follow the route that @kenors has found reliable. I don't know how the cruise control is triggered other than perhaps it is wired into the brake light sensor, so when you fix the light, hopefully your cruise will work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same experiences and same solution as @kenors.

when I put my Knights lowering pegs on I was able to adjust the actual brake pedal far enough (had to remove a washer and maybe a bolt IIRC) but the brake light spring was simply too short. Dug around in the bottom of my toolbox and found something to add to it to make it longer.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Crankset
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tableware Kitchen utensil Automotive tire Hood Bag

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the great pix. So Joe, to lower the brake pedal as much as you needed you think you may have purchased a shorter bolt as well as removing a washer? I have lowered mine but still need a bit more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great pix. So Joe, to lower the brake pedal as much as you needed you think you may have purchased a shorter bolt as well as removing a washer? I have lowered mine but still need a bit more.
See this thread - @kenors comes through with the win again post #16

1 - 15 of 15 Posts