Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the things you love most about your N1K?

Having owned my 2016 for 7 months or so, the things i love are the effortless acceleration in any gear, anytime, and the way she growls and spins rapidly towards the limiter from around 7000 rpm, often revving so quickly to redline that my mind and body cannot keep up with a correctly timed upshift before bouncing off the limiter.

The way i can do a full days riding with little to no aches and pains at the end of a long day.

The mirrors that remain largely buzz free at all revs and give a wide clear view of what's going on behind me and also fold in nicely, retaining their memory over time for tight parking in my garage, i think i have adjusted them maybe once since owning the bike, they just stay in perfect adjustment for me on every outing.

Chain adjustments that rotate the axle equally, so no messing with fiddly locknuts/adjusters and double/triple checking wear indicators or chain alignment on both sides to assure a decent alignment.

Easy/instant inspection of coolant tank levels without removing panels.
The light clutch action that doesn't give me a bad dose of carpel tunnel/wrist fatigue in stop/start traffic.
The decent and solid handrails for my pillion, instead of relying on just a flimsy mid seat strap that some models come with.
The suspension that feels firm and controlled but still absorbs the sharp bumps without pinging me skyward out of the seat.
I'm sure harder riders have found suspension deficiencies, but for me as a 65kg mid 50's rider that has outgrown the need to remove chicken strips and now rides mainly with self preservation in mind the only adjustment i have felt the need to change from factory spec is rear preload.

Okay, so after all that, the thing i absolutely love first and foremost about this bike (and is rarely mentioned by other owners and in my opinion is a masterstroke by Kawasaki) is the convenience of the remote rear preload adjustment, what an absolute revelation that unassuming green dial is.(may be utilized by other manufacturers, but my detailed bike knowledge lacks somewhat since the mid 90's)

I ride with my daughter two up a few times a week and the ability to add instant preload to suit 2up within a few seconds and adjust back to solo settings almost instantly is an absolute godsend, previous bikes i have owned required a lot of faffing around with either shitty locking rings (blackbird) or stepped collars,(gsx650F) requiring a fair amount of effort, and i mostly couldn't be bothered with on the road changes as it was tedious and would often result in a lot of swearing,awkwardness and the occasional loss of bark from hands/fingers.

Oh and on a final note the bike just looks amazing ,when i step off and look back at it at from any angle i'm just like '**** that looks good" i made the right choice, i am so glad i didn't opt for the gsx1000f that i was considering at the time.
Thank you Mr Kawasaki.
What do you love about your 1000sx?

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's durability / reliability are not often mentioned and that is one of my favorite things about the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have now owned my 2016 for about 7 month’s also.The smile it puts on my face after heavy acceleration! Probably not in the rarely discussed category but it’s my favorite feature.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I was going to say just what Johnny did. When you have reliable, it makes all of the other things possible. If you look at the KTM Superduke forum, there are several members who bought a "touring bike". Sure, their KTM is one of the best ST bikes ever made, but its unreliable enough they wont trust the bike on a tour.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Im going with reliability also.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
There is definately a lot to love about the n1k. And the bike does look amazing, what was Suzuki thinking when they created that ugly *** looking 1000 s model

·
Registered
698 Posts
N1kLife, the biggest reason there isn't a "what we like" list is because most of us don't want to type out a huge long list of things. Much shorter and easier to pick on some little thing that bugs us. That said, I pretty much echo your list.

But I'd rather ***** about the lack of a centerstand... :)

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
I came from a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple and really loved that bike. I had looked at the Suzuki 1000, but really had a boner for the N1K.
I like how it's a do it all bike. I love the panniers and how I can carry what I need and lock it up.
I love the apparent reliability of the bike. My Speed Triple would burn oil like a alcoholic drinks booze. Some seized their engines in cross country trips, because they hadn't checked their oil. I like the this bike doesn't burn much if any oil.
I used to think that the N1K had about as much power as the Triple. Yeah, I was wrong. The N1K is so powerful and smooth.
I just think it's a great all around, take it anywhere bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like how stable the bike is at high speed. When riding in gusty wind or whizzing by a truck going in the opposite direction, the N1K doesn't seem to be affected by the winds very much.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
This amounts to reliability, too, but if you look at other bike forums, there are a lot of people who have had to trade in bikes that are basically brand new because the warranty is ending. They dont really have to, but the ownership risk is too high without the factory warranty being in place.

This usually locks them into the same brand, and in many cases forces them to buy the same bike, with tiny upgrades, just to have the opportunity to repeat the cycle in another 24-36 months.

It's nice to not be in that cycle.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The thing I like best about the NInja is this forum and all you guys... sniff...
Nah, it's the vibration at the front of the seat. My balls love it! :devil:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Seriously though, not that my balls don't love it, but coming off a KTM not having issues is definitely my favorite quality. And like RC says you don't have to trade it in every 3 years like I did with my euro bikes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That I can canyon carve and go touring in the same breath and enjoy both (distinct) activities equally. That I can mod it to kingdom come or ride it bone-stock and still enjoy it. That I can potter around town in 4-6 gears (and not get barbecued lower limbs) and tear up the highway in the same breath. Great bike.

Oh, and a usable pillion perch for perky PYT’s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts