Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Any Topic on your last ride......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't been riding as much as Id like, so I keep my bike on Stands and to a battery tender. My last ride was 3 days ago. Uneventful, but head turner nevertheless. Im going on 2 years with my N1K and I love this machine. Every ride is an adventure. Aloha

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ugh....crappy weather in SE TX for the past few weeks. Only got one ride in over the last month. My N1K is sitting on the rear stand connected to the battery tender. Maybe later today....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine is stored for winter. So here is my randomness for ya:

But I did get a stage 1 tune on my daily drivers (16 GTI) the reflash bumps the power from 220HP/250ftlbs to 316HP/381ftlbs... poor little tires don't know what hit them. So that is keeping my winter blahs at bay.

I did put the header on the n1k.. now its just a matter of getting new tires in the spring and I am ready to rock and roll!

I also am getting the performance car test drive.. so basically I give some leasing agency about 150 bucks and they let me take a Lamborghini on their autox track for a few laps. I know stupid expensive... but I am not going to be able to afford one so why not ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
El Nino is crushing my riding plans in NorCal. Torrential rain almost every day. Last ride I had was to test out the Brawlers. I have some db killers on the way to take a bite out of the loudness at high rpm WOT acceleration. At cruise they are surprisingly quiet though louder than stock.

It looks like today might be a bit nice and no rain. So if it finally gets out of the 40's (Fahrenheit) I'll try and squeeze in a ride.

On the more personal side, with bike benefits too, I've started a new diet and exercise regime. It was long overdue and the benefits are already apparent. I've already lost the same amount as I saved from going with 1 Brawler over the stock exhaust. This is my plan to make the N1K faster on a budget. :)

All the performance modeling I did on the N1K shows the best way to improve performance is weight loss. I can't realistically bump up the HP enough to make near as much difference as cutting even 20 pounds from the bike. So the Brawlers save quite a bit of weight but my goal is to try and drop 30 pounds or so by summer. Well that is my realistic goal. My pie in the sky goal is 50 pounds. That would work out to be about a .3 second improvement on my ET in the 1/4.

I've started using an app to help track my running. I used it before with great success and they've improved it a lot. It is "couch to 5k". Basically it does what it says. It takes you from spending all your time on a couch to being able to run 5k. Honestly I hate to run, I used to do it all the time for the military. I thought I'd never have to run again like then but I used this app a few years ago and it worked for me and made the running less tedious. I was up to where I could run 10k again without dying. Then life happened and I find myself where I am at but with the resolve to change things.

Take a look here if interested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.active.aps.c25k&hl=en

When I have some free time I'll write my review of the awesome aux lights I added to the N1K. They made a huge difference on the bike at night and I am seen much better in the daytime as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine is stored for winter. So here is my randomness for ya:

But I did get a stage 1 tune on my daily drivers (16 GTI) the reflash bumps the power from 220HP/250ftlbs to 316HP/381ftlbs... poor little tires don't know what hit them. So that is keeping my winter blahs at bay.
How much boost is your tune allowing? I did the Revo Stage 1 tune on my 2012 GTI and it's boosting around 20 psi at WOT. My power isn't as good as yours though...my '12 model only increased hp from 210 to around 250. Still, I can burn through some "poor little tires" as you put it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have no idea :) Probably as much as they could.

Part of my going with APR was because they did all the R/D.. unlike my Evo (24lbs) where I need to constantly go to the Dyno tuners .. this thing was fire and forget. The numbers are flywheel and I am sure optimistic but the people on vwvortex and golfmk7.com are posting dynos that are pretty dang close.

The MK7 is a monster compared to the really great 2.0T found in earlier versions. I have been checking out et slips and some of the stage 1 folks are pulling 12 sec 1/4 miles. That's pretty darned impressive for just a flash, I think the fastest ones (of differing stages) (with time slips) are in the 11's.

FWD still isn't optimal for drag racing but the car rolls on very well with that torque. I am really digging the power and retaining the drive quality and mpg.

·
Registered
127 Posts
El Nino is crushing my riding plans in NorCal. Torrential rain almost every day. Last ride I had was to test out the Brawlers. I have some db killers on the way to take a bite out of the loudness at high rpm WOT acceleration. At cruise they are surprisingly quiet though louder than stock.

It looks like today might be a bit nice and no rain. So if it finally gets out of the 40's (Fahrenheit) I'll try and squeeze in a ride.

On the more personal side, with bike benefits too, I've started a new diet and exercise regime. It was long overdue and the benefits are already apparent. I've already lost the same amount as I saved from going with 1 Brawler over the stock exhaust. This is my plan to make the N1K faster on a budget. :)

All the performance modeling I did on the N1K shows the best way to improve performance is weight loss. I can't realistically bump up the HP enough to make near as much difference as cutting even 20 pounds from the bike. So the Brawlers save quite a bit of weight but my goal is to try and drop 30 pounds or so by summer. Well that is my realistic goal. My pie in the sky goal is 50 pounds. That would work out to be about a .3 second improvement on my ET in the 1/4.

I've started using an app to help track my running. I used it before with great success and they've improved it a lot. It is "couch to 5k". Basically it does what it says. It takes you from spending all your time on a couch to being able to run 5k. Honestly I hate to run, I used to do it all the time for the military. I thought I'd never have to run again like then but I used this app a few years ago and it worked for me and made the running less tedious. I was up to where I could run 10k again without dying. Then life happened and I find myself where I am at but with the resolve to change things.

Take a look here if interested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.active.aps.c25k&hl=en

When I have some free time I'll write my review of the awesome aux lights I added to the N1K. They made a huge difference on the bike at night and I am seen much better in the daytime as well.
I look forward to your aux.light review as i am putting some mondo moto
lights on my concourse 14 and plan to something similar on the n1k.

·
Registered
828 Posts
@landman - here are one of the sets of lights I used. The website sucks up top but scroll down to get to the good content. It is a LONG page to say the least but a lot of good info. The lights are great. I bought 3 different pairs of lights from this guy. They held up great in torrential rain as well.

2800LM Cree Led x2 - 2allbuyer

He isn't US based so it can take a few weeks to get the lights BUT if you use DHL for a reasonable upcharge you can have them in about a week.

@Hornblower & GaryK - I am a long time GTI fan having purchased an original one when they came out. I also had the original US version of the Audi Quattro as well. I just sold my GTI not too long ago to go back to an AWD car. I had quite a few Audis through the 2000-2012 range (S4's, S6, RS6 Avant and an Allroad).

I needed something with actual towing capacity and to seat sometime more than 4 people comfortably. I picked up a Ford Flex with the twin turbo V-6. That has been my project car lately. Last pass at the track was 12.79 on pump gas. Not bad for a 5,000 pound vehicle. Not as nimble as a GTI but still a lot of fun to drive, really a great sleeper to say the least.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is my second turbo VW, the germans know how to make solid, torquey smooth cars for sure. But towing capacity in any vw so far is a big problem :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes, in the US anyway. In the EU, you can tow with them. Heck, even my RS6 Avant when I was in Europe could tow something around 2000 or 3000 lbs. if memory serves correctly. I think it is all about liability in the US.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Last ride was on the 2nd. Spent about 5 hours on the bike testing out the modified seat :). It's currently in the shop for the clutch mod.

My wife has a GTI as well. Ours is an '07. Had the APR stage 1 on it very early on. No issues and coming up on 100k mi pretty soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
El nino let up this week and the roads dried out enough to scrubb in my new tires in the Santa Cruz mtns. More rain coming tonight though and continuing for as far as they can see. Cancelled my track day at Sears Pt. Nothing to do but ski. Oh well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
El Nino` is wreaking havoc in the southwest. We've been in the teens in the morning, warming up to the 30's (Fahrenheit)., in the late afternoons.
We still went out for a ride, we use heated gear, and I also have heated grips and seat. (I know, at 61 I'm getting to be such a puss, but I do like to be comfortable when I ride, so I can concentrate on the ride, not my shivering carcass.
Nice ride down along our Manzano mountains, to Mountainaire for lunch, and then back up along the eastern side of the same mountains along some excellent curved roads. Was tempted to run up our Sandia Crest road, but knew it would be icy, and filled with folks wanting to go up and ski. The mountains elevation is over 10,000' and has a great curvy road up to the top. Instead, we looped down to a road that meanders along the Rio Grande, and ended up close to home where we could enjoy a warm adult beverage, and watch some of the football games.All in all, another enjoyable day of riding in the land of enchanment. ;-)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like the Sandia Crest road. I liked riding both my motorcycles and bicycles up it. New Mexico is vastly underrated for the amount of great roads to ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts