Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best radiator guard for the Ninja 1K? Do they really help protect it that much? Does it noticeably block any airflow?

·
Registered
367 Posts
The evotech is rather good.
It saved mine from a lot of **** :)
No idea about the airflow, I have no problems with cooling, that I know for sure.
(riding side by side with a Z1000 without rad. guard).

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have R&g stainless.. It doesn't cover it entirely, some fins exposed on the side. So i wouldn't recommend it. You can look at Evo tech rad guard, seems to be a complete protection option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it an easy install or does one side of the fairing need removal?
From what I've read, I think you need to remove the fairings for an easier install. It really is pretty easy once you do it a couple times.

Update: I ordered the Evotech today thanks to your suggestions and people on other forums as well.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
From what I've read, I think you need to remove the fairings for an easier install. It really is pretty easy once you do it a couple times.

Update: I ordered the Evotech today thanks to your suggestions and people on other forums as well.

There is no need to remove the fairing. Be careful, go slow, but turn the guard at an angle, and slide it in. It's easier than removing the fairing.

In fact, this way is better. You can get to it for cleaning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ok, good to know. Thank you Rcannon!

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
If it takes you over 5 minutes, you screwed up. It's that easy.

The top mount, on the Cox brand is touh, but it's a great guard

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Oh, one thing to be aware of.

I'm sure you know this, but radiator fins have zero strength. You can bend the by just brushing you hand over them.

My advise is to just pretend that the radiator is 500 degrees, and you must not touch it. The guard has to gently slide into place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well RC, I did take a few more than 5 minutes, but only because I was super careful when installing the guard!
It went on easy otherwise and it looks great too!
I have kept an eye on the temp and haven't noticed any increases so far.

·
Registered
454 Posts
thinking about picking one up myself

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had the shop do it, because I was afraid I would bend the radiator fins.

But ya it's worth doing, and the Cox one is nice. It looks better from the front too, and I think it's silly this isn't a standard part on all bikes. For what it would cost the factory to include vs how important and fragile the part is that it's protecting, there is really no excuse.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Mike, that lack of guard is all on us, as owners.

When we started to demand lightweight bikes, that sort of optional stuff had to disappear. Not that they ever offered radiator guards.

The original zx10, from 1988, weighed very close to 600lbs. Real, ready to ride weight....not claimed. Ours are 500, with very heavy stock exhaust systems. Call it 480 if we used a similar exhaust to the 1988.

You cant do that and add radiator guards, frame guards, etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I usually just put on a Pyramid Fenda Extenda and call it good.
Fenda Extendas can certainly help, but they only protect you from yourself (debris kicked up from the front tire). Unfortunately, what they don't do is protect you from debris being thrown up from other vehicles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fenda Extendas can certainly help, but they only protect you from yourself (debris kicked up from the front tire). Unfortunately, what they don't do is protect you from debris being thrown up from other vehicles.
That is certainly true... However, when you consider the force, trajectory, and timing necessary for this to happen, it seems like a rather unlikely event.

AFAIK, radiator guards are primarily for Dirt bikes. And in light of the recent thread re: how the guard actually damaged the radiator, I'm not a big fan.

You could also have a lightning strike on your handlebars, but I don't plan to install a lightning rod on my bike...

I would like a way to prevent flat tires, which are much more common, but the best I have found is the Stop-n-Go plug kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does the Evotech radiator guard for a 2016 Ninja 1000 fit a 2017?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts