Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a grill. I like the look. Anyone else done this? Was like $38.00 from China
A bit of protection for the $500.00 Radiator. Thoughts?:cool:

https://youtu.be/neAjB3THihI

Reactions: GaryK

·
Registered
5,756 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looks interesting but I'd be concerned about restricting air flow. I'll probably be cursed for saying this, but the only bike I've felt a need to put on a radiator shield was a Vstrom I had that I took in some pretty sketchy places.

Even after 60k miles with it on, and when I took it off to sell the bike, I couldn't see any impacts that would have damaged the radiator. The N1K doesn't have near as open an area to let stuff penetrate as did the Vstrom.

I suppose a well aimed sharp rock could some how navigate the space right between the fork tubes and puncture it but I am not betting on it. Looks cool though and as long as it doesn't add a lot more weight, nor restrict air flow, why not? OTOH I am on a diet and trying to shave all the weight I can from the bike where it makes sense. I have to offset some of my add like the bags and my auxiliary lights.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
Looks interesting but I'd be concerned about restricting air flow. I'll probably be cursed for saying this, but the only bike I've felt a need to put on a radiator shield was a Vstrom I had that I took in some pretty sketchy places.

Even after 60k miles with it on, and when I took it off to sell the bike, I couldn't see any impacts that would have damaged the radiator. The N1K doesn't have near as open an area to let stuff penetrate as did the Vstrom.

I suppose a well aimed sharp rock could some how navigate the space right between the fork tubes and puncture it but I am not betting on it. Looks cool though and as long as it doesn't add a lot more weight, nor restrict air flow, why not? OTOH I am on a diet and trying to shave all the weight I can from the bike where it makes sense. I have to offset some of my add like the bags and my auxiliary lights.
I run one on my ninja without issues. I did not feel like it raised its operating temp. Fan rarely kicks on either way.

I run an rg racing model. Concours 14 was a different deal, entirely. It made that bike heat up much faster. Never a dangerous level as the fan kicks on, but its twice as often with the guard in place on the c 14.

I feel like a another option is a fender extender.

I agree with you. I never have had to clean anything off the rad guard. Its always nice and clean. I believe its not near as vulnerable as we think it is. Also, much like case guards, you just dont know until its too late.

Kawasaki Z1000SX Extenda Fenda Fender Extender Front Mudguard Extension | eBay

or

Carbon Fibre Kawasaki Z1000SX Z1000 SX Fender Extender Front Mudguard | eBay

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks for the links. The fender extender was the next mod on my list. I noticed all the crap that gets flung up from the front wheel in the rain, not to mention all the water off the tire. I had them on other bikes and they were quite useful. Saved the chin of the fairing from taking quite a beating as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mainly to do with the cool factor. When Im 1 Up.....It's Something to see.
As far as air flow, I doubt there will be any factors that dramatically change anything. Regardless, with my "Ivan's flash", Im on @ 200 Anyway.
I'm Happy, Regardless.......It just adds to the custom effect. Keep yours Plain Jane, Id never complain. But would sure Notice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How much of a biotch was it to install? The upper mount goes all the way through the frame so you have to remove one side of the fairing to remove it right?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
That fenda extenda said to secure it with silicone caulk i dont know about that at high speeds

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Where from the Item? Was that for me? Cause theres a link to the flaps already. So Ebay is where to find item.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much of a biotch was it to install? The upper mount goes all the way through the frame so you have to remove one side of the fairing to remove it right?
Was tight.... Took noting off. Bolts are reachable, but there's a little rubber flap hiding them. One side is a bolt, the other a nipple. The bottom bolt doesn't even line up. But, yepp.... Took all of 5 mins after the bolts were removed.And I have Really big Hands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put the guards on all of my bikes. Have taken a few rock hits over the years that caused leaks. Cheap insurance really. Cox Racing makes nice ones and they weigh all of about 6 ounces. Easy to install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the black R&G one on mine. Yeah it was a bit of a pain to get on there but not too bad.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
The fender extenders are not problem to install.

I like a product called 'shoe goo" that wal mart has in their shoe section. If the surfaces are clean, its there for life. The 3m bodywork glues are amazing as well.

One other option is abs sprinkler glue. Again, if clean, its a lifetime thing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I opted for the Extenda-fender early on with the N1K bike. With this sport bike's roots, the fenders are on the minimalist side. I went the over-engineered route -- six smooth fasteners positioned strategically to hold the extender -- coupled with a binary adhesive during assembly, and with Lok-tite on the threads. It's not going anywhere. I've also been looking for a fender extender for the rear tire. With the OEM hard bags in place, I'd rather have better protection from dirt and road grime back there.

The rad guard has appeal to me, not so much to protect against possible punctures. I'm more concerned with bugs clogging up the radiator fins. I'm trying not to be OCD about it, but has anyone figured out an effective way to clean the radiator of debris build up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts