·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
I considered it (Heal Tech). They claim you can do up-shifts from 2nd to 6th while under partial / full acceleration "well above idle" & down-shifts from 6th to 4th under partial de-acceleration "well above idle".

After some further research and consideration of my riding style, I decided not to proceed.

Quick Shifter easy (iQSE) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
I remember a few early generation bikes z1000/ninja 1000 that had damage to 4th gear. It was expensive to fix as this required dropping the engine and splitting the cases. I'm not saying it happened all the time, but enough for someone to remember. I also remember most of those people mentioning quick shifters. Dyno Jet, in particular.

The set up has to be done properly. I have no idea if that was accomplished. The 2020 ninja uses ride by wire, so it cant really be compared to the older bike regarding the quick shifter.

On the old bikes, for sure you can Install it and use it at your own risk. Kawasaki isnt going to warranty your aftermarket quick shifter if it tears up your transmission. Is there some level where you thought they would?

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Bob, I dont know if that's necessary, either. People have used them on all kinds and brands of bikes, ninja and z1000's too.

I cant even explain how many times I've had it in my basket, ready to hit "buy". I THINK a lot of the damage has to do with misuse. If its dialed in to shift at 10,000 rpm, you cant really use it at 5000rpm. The cut times will be wrong. But, if I'm wrong, it really sucks to fix it.

That's where I can argue with myself because if it's set up correctly, and all works well, it's no different than a regular shift. I love mods as much as anyone, and I would love to have one, but for me, the risk-reward isnt enough. You might not feel that way. I think the "HM" brand is the one to have, if you get one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob, I dont know if that's necessary, either. People have used them on all kinds and brands of bikes, ninja and z1000's too.

I cant even explain how many times I've had it in my basket, ready to hit "buy". I THINK a lot of the damage has to do with misuse. If its dialed in to shift at 10,000 rpm, you cant really use it at 5000rpm. The cut times will be wrong. But, if I'm wrong, it really sucks to fix it.

That's where I can argue with myself because if it's set up correctly, and all works well, it's no different than a regular shift. I love mods as much as anyone, and I would love to have one, but for me, the risk-reward isnt enough. You might not feel that way. I think the "HM" brand is the one to have, if you get one.
thanks, think I'll wait until a 2020 or newer N1K

·
Registered
255 Posts
You should also look at the products from Translogic, if you are considering a QS. They are rated as one of the best in the world and also supply to a lot of racing teams, including Moto2, BSB, WSB.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
I've never used a QS, but some of my riding buddies swear by them and won't buy a bike without it being included from the factory.
I'm probably a dinosaur but like the coordination and involvement with my bike that is needed to manually shift. I'm not out to win a race. If I was, I'd want every advantage including a QS. But, for me, I like to use my skills everytime I ride. Although, I know I can't beat a computer at precision.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like my 2020 KQS. It makes you lazy. But it is not as smooth as shifting using the clutch, at least for me. So when I'm solo I use it, when the wife is 2-up I still use the clutch in the lower gears. Maybe as time does on I will appreciate it more, however my other bikes do not have a quick shifter and for street riding I'm not sold on it being a high prize feature to have, although it is some pricey technology.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like my 2020 KQS. It makes you lazy. But it is not as smooth as shifting using the clutch, at least for me. So when I'm solo I use it, when the wife is 2-up I still use the clutch in the lower gears. Maybe as time does on I will appreciate it more, however my other bikes do not have a quick shifter and for street riding I'm not sold on it being a high prize feature to have, although it is some pricey technology.
So, can you shift without touching the clutch or letting off on the throttle?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, that is what a quick shifter does. Or you can use the clutch. However when up shifting it likes to have some trust and when down shifting it likes to have some engine braking. It really likes lots of throttle for up shifting and lots of engine brake for down shifting, but it will works with just a little bit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Bob, I have a Ninja 1000 and a BMW S1000XR with a quick shifter(for both up and down shifts). To shift up you have to be accelerating and to shift down you have to be off the throttle or the transmission won't shift if you don't follow that procedure but you quickly get used to that as it also makes sense. You can always clutch and shift anyway you want to such as up-shifts with the throttle off or whatever.

Well let me tell you it is fantastic and if you get one that performs as smooth and reliable as mine you will love it too. When I go back and ride my Ninja I realize how much the quick shifter is really fantastic and wish it had one too.

Let me preface all this by my experience with cars and its totally different there where we have cars with manual transmissions and others with manual shifting automatics. Well the manual shifting automatics just don't seem satisfying as pure manual transmissions as I've had with my BMW 5 series and today with my VW GTI as compared to my wife's Hyundai shifting-automatic and a variety of rental cars. The joy of a pure manual car with a good transmission is fantastic while the manual shifting automatics just don't feel good at all and after a few times playing with them you just put it back to automatic mode and play with the radio instead.

The quick shifter on my BMW S1000XR allows you to do incredible up shifts while holding down the throttle for a hang on for your life thrills like you never had before, especially with the 165 ponies my beast has. I don't know why, but the elimination of clutching is not a negative thing on a motorcycle (as in a car) and really when you stop you will have to clutch and slip it and so forth on slow speed things like in parking lots and hill-stops and so forth so its good to have mastered that skill too but let's face it once we are rolling, clutching is easy but a step to slow your shifting in hard acceleration. Down shifting is also a pleasure and you just don't miss clutching once you get used to it when the machine allows you to do it either. Again you can always go back to clutching and shifting like the Ninja if you want to but you won't for 90 percent of the time I assure you.

Go for a test drive if possible and you will see how nice it is. I think there is a guy "2 Wheel Obsession" on YouTube that went on a test ride with a BMW with the quick-shifter and ended liking it so much that he ended up retrofitting it on his Yamaha FJR (he does test reviews on different bikes and other motorcycle products and such). Maybe the one he did (brand) is the one you may want to retrofit. Check it out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with the above, I have ridden quite a few bikes with QS and they are nice to have especially when you are on a spirited ride.

ydo, coming to cars, stick shifts are pure bliss. But things are getting better every single day, I test drove a pure competition car with a sequential shifter and believe me I did not miss the clutch at all. Fun it was...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Same here. I've ridden three bikes with QS's, one with Up/Down functionality.

I strongly believe it makes the bike go faster on a spirited ride in the twisties. The ability to downshift as you're approaching a corner at speed is nice without clutch action, and with rev matching. Less things for the mind to worry about. Equal riders, a bike with a good QS has an advantage to rider enjoyment and going just a bit faster.

It's not so much a big advantage in urban riding or long distance riding.

Having said all that, the skills of working the clutch, transmission, throttle, and brakes, perfectly in spirited rides is an art form. It's what separates mediocre riders from really good riders. A mediocre rider with a QS still won't keep up with a good rider who is smooth and knows how to work the controls when the pace heats up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts