Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at a 2012 ninja 1000 abs for 6900.00 dollars, does this sound like a reasonable price, the bike has 4500 miles on it. What would need to be done to it to make it a reasonable 2 up tourer. We usually travel about 3 hours one way through the mountains. I am comming from a cbr 500r which i have added corbin seats and givii top case and does pretty darn good. We can cruise at 70 mph and average 60 mpg with 2 on it. But i am looking for a little more hp and larger bike as we definately have the 500 maxed out far as total combined weight plus what we carry in the top case.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Seems like a reasonable price... Kelley Blue Book puts your bike at $7,790 if it's in excellent condition purchased from a dealer. The N1k engine is perfectly capable but the pillion seat is well, pretty much like any super sportbike... if your wife is used to touring on a cbr 500r she should be OK. I can't get my wife to ride 2-up much... it's not an FJR or C14 that's for sure.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think you can find one at a better price. Check the for sale forum here. This one is a MUCH better deal and it is South Carolina. I don't know where you are at so it is also hard to give you an idea of price.

http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/sale/7105-almost-new-2014-ninja.html

The newer ones (2014+) can take the factory bags. Much better setup than the old system. The new bags aren't cheap but virtually invisible brackets when not on the bike. You also get traction control, 2 power modes, trip computer, better brakes, standard ABS, more midrange power, etc.

If I were in the market for a Ninja 1000, I would only consider 2014 or later. Too many improvement were made to consider the older ones. They weren't bad bikes but I would only consider one if a really great deal.

As for making it a better touring bike, or better in general, you might want to read my review here. I have a long commute, much longer than you typically will ride. It talks about my impressions and the mods I made to make it better for spending hours on the road.

http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-general-discussion/6873-long-review-my-2014-ninja-1000-abs-after-24-hours-1400-mile-ride.html

The bike can be quite a good tourer with a few mods. The seat is one of the biggest weaknesses. Read my post and it will answer a lot of your questions I think. The Ninja 1000 (aka N1K) will easily do what you want and more. It does have some issues but they can easily and mostly cheaply addressed. Rarely will you ask for more power than the N1K can provide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts