Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never ridden a liter bike before buying the N1K I wonder how it stacks up in the real world to other liter bikes. Specifically super sports. I understand ours can't really compete in an all out, top speed race but I've seen videos of the N1K racing various other liter bikes on the track and in some instances it beats them in the 1/4 mile. Are our bikes really that competitive at that distance or do the riders make the difference? Is what we have on par with the super sports in the quarter?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have ridden a friends ZX-10 and that thing is seriously fast! My Ninja 1000 has a full exhaust with Ivans performance package and feels like it has more thrust to the rear wheel until maybe around 5000 ~ 6000 rpm. Once the ZX-10 gets its legs it screams toward the horizon with an anger that the Ninja can not muster. I think the ZX-10 would handily beat my bike in the quarter mile, if both riders launched equally well.

Would I consider trading my Ninja for a ZX-10?? Only if all I did were track days. The Ninja is a far better road bike in my opinion and has all the power one would ever need.

As an added point, my same riding buddy also has a fully modded and tuned ZX-14 which with which he won a big dyno shootout last year. Opening the throttle on that monster is an act of violence. The first time I let that thing eat I could not believe it!!!! After I closed the throttle and the world returned to normal I was laughing uncontrollably inside my helmet at what just happened.

·
Registered
404 Posts
So I came from a 2015 Yamaha R1. Bike made 35 more hp than my N1k, and weighed at least 80lbs less. There really is no comparison in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Unfortunately physics dictate the winner with rider skill being equal. When you think of the average age in this bike though... it's very seldom equal.

Reactions: tyrmeltr

·
Registered
571 Posts
Depends on how you use it, really. On a track day (not a sanctioned race)..............it will hold its own in corners if its set up right, but you will get passed on the straights, violently. On the street, the supersport has very few advantages. The N1K makes more torque and HP than just about any other sporty-bike in the "usable" street rev range (up to 9,000rpms) which is where 90% of street riders ride.

I've owned and ridden just about everything over the past 25 years, and I don't see any modern supersport gapping me on a twisty section of road. Pull away from me when the road straightens out and speeds climb toward 100mph, yeah sure, the bike will fall behind.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I came from a ZX10, and yes, it was stupid fast, but I wouldn't trade back for anything. I think in magazine tests, the Ninja 1000 kept up to the ZX10 until around 100MPH, and then the ZX10 was a blur in the distance.
I kept my ZX10 for a year to be sure that the Ninja 1000 was going to be enough sport bike for me, and it absolutely is!
Like I said, I wouldn't trade back for anything.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've owned and ridden just about everything over the past 25 years, and I don't see any modern supersport gapping me on a twisty section of road. Pull away from me when the road straightens out and speeds climb toward 100mph, yeah sure, the bike will fall behind
Perhaps so. Perhaps you just haven’t met your match, but I do think a supersort is not the optimal bike for the lowe speed twisty stuff.

Max Biaggi shows up in Malibu every now and then. On a 250cc scooter. Nobody can keep up with him on it in the canyons. There is some real talent down here too.

Oh and I’m reminded of the stunt rider for the film industry that would show up on a plated CR500 set up for supermoto on slicks. That dude was a madman, backing it in laying blackies and wheelieing out of corners as he checked out on everyone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
In the twisties, I’ve ridden with guys on R1, ZX10R, CBR1000RR and Panigale V4. The only bike I’ve struggled to keep up with is the Panigale V4. With the other bikes, no problem keeping up. Yes, my Ninja is heavily modded and perhaps not truly representative of the bike that rolls out of the factory. But then, those track bikes aren’t stock either. Having said that, one of my buddies has upgraded from a ZX10R to a Panigale V4 and where previously I could comfortably keep his ZX10R in sight or behind me, his new Panigale V4 is just too good for my Ninja... sigh. I have to take risks to keep up in the twisties with him on his Panigale V4 and that is spooky. Even with the risk taking, I have to eventually give up. That V4 is too damn good.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The ninja 1k is a great bike, however you cannot compare it to newer SS bikes. My ninja 1k is heavily modified and it has nothing against my stock 2018 ZX10RR.

Two completely different leagues.

A better comparison would be to compare it to other uprights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Below 90mph 9000 RPM you can keep up with almost any liter bike and beat those with less skill than you, this is mainly due to gearing ratio and higher tourque of the lower rpm, but above 90mph where you start pushing higher rpms they will start flying away from you.

In canyons I would easily ride along with super sport bikes until I start scratching my pegs and get to straight lines where they got ahead of me.

Look at the N1K as a tourqey and powerfully SUV not a super sport car.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The SUV analogy is amusing, but that better describes an ADV bike. Especially the squeaky clean ADVs, with **** piled high on the back like a two-wheeled Jed Clampett.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The SUV analogy is amusing, but that better describes an ADV bike. Especially the squeaky clean ADVs, with **** piled high on the back like a two-wheeled Jed Clampett.
Indeed. I consider the Ninja 1K more of a GT as opposed to a pure sports car. Like an BMW M6.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sport Touring

GT is better than SUV of course. This bike is not intended to be a Super Sport machine (I know I am speaking to the Choir). But I would say......Sport Touring is on the money:smile:

·
Registered
670 Posts
It’s not just the engine or gear ratios on the Ninja which are designed more for midrange performance. The frame has a huge role to play too. The frame of a sport touring motorcycle has to have a slight degree of flex to cope with the rough roads/difficult riding conditions. Whereas a track bike needs a super stiff frame so that it goes around corners as if on rails. Hard braking lap in and lap out. WOT acceleration out of every turn. Flicking the bike side to side, turn after turn. All of this requires a stiff frame with negligible flex. That gives the bike the stability so essential on the track. But real world riding demands a different approach to building the frame/chasssis of a sport touring bike. It is this feature which limits the utility of a sport tourer on the track as much as the engine tune/gear ratios.

To an extent one can get around it by upgrading the suspension, shedding weight, better braking system, steering damper, etc. But the flex in the frame will always be a limiting factor on the track.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you took a Ninja 1000 and threw away everything that wouldn't help win a World Superbike championship, the remnants wouldn't even fill the palm of one hand.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This thread is taking a turn from my original question. I simply asked if it is on par through a 1/4 mile drag race. I know our bike isn't a super sport bike. But thanks for clarifying that it is not a super sport.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This thread is taking a turn from my original question. I simply asked if it is on par through a 1/4 mile drag race. I know our bike isn't a super sport bike. But thanks for clarifying that it is not a super sport.
My original answer, answered your question. Rider being equal, no. It's not just the extra power a liter class supersport has, but it is also so much lighter that the power to weight ratio difference is also significant. Maybe in the 1/8th you can get a good race, but in the 1/4 the top end should stomp a Ninja 1000 hard. Looking at magazine numbers for stock bikes, a modern R1 is about a half a second faster than a Ninja 1000 in the 1/4.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts