Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So without really checking if it was compatible I bought the stem mount for my 2019 1000sx.

I was a tad disappointed when I realised its not really compatible with the stem bolt on our bikes... However I have come up with a solution solved by my addiction to pepsi max 馃ぃ

So the issue with the compatibility is that the stem bolt expands after the hex nut, meaning you can't get it the quad lock to expand enough... So I started looking for simple ways to close that gap, then I picked up my pepsi can that I was drinking and the lightbulb moment happened.

I simply cut 3 strips out of the can, curled them up, insterted them into the bottom of the stem bolt and everything went in and tightened up perfectly.

I also found that by default the quad lock expansion metal bits are very tight getting them through the hex portion of the stem bolt, so I removed each metal piece from the o rings and just gave them a once over with a bit of sand paper. Just a little was enough for it to slide through a little easier.

Registered
Hey, great guide.
I just got my Ninja 1000sx 2021 last Friday and purchased one of these kit on Saturday as the Givi one I got wasn't compatible (not sure why they do not clearly list compatible bikes on their websites).
I was wondering if you found any other solution, maybe an hexagonal replacement for the bottom bolt? (assuming that this is the issue with it)

Registered
So without really checking if it was compatible I bought the stem mount for my 2019 1000sx.

I was a tad disappointed when I realised its not really compatible with the stem bolt on our bikes... However I have come up with a solution solved by my addiction to pepsi max 馃ぃ

So the issue with the compatibility is that the stem bolt expands after the hex nut, meaning you can't get it the quad lock to expand enough... So I started looking for simple ways to close that gap, then I picked up my pepsi can that I was drinking and the lightbulb moment happened.

I simply cut 3 strips out of the can, curled them up, insterted them into the bottom of the stem bolt and everything went in and tightened up perfectly.

I also found that by default the quad lock expansion metal bits are very tight getting them through the hex portion of the stem bolt, so I removed each metal piece from the o rings and just gave them a once over with a bit of sand paper. Just a little was enough for it to slide through a little easier.

View attachment 29990 View attachment 29991 View attachment 29992 View attachment 29993 View attachment 29994
Hey dude, did you fix these strips to the inside of the nut somehow? Surely they will just fallout the bottom when you put the cap back onto the stem no? Pretty sure I'm gonna need to do the same thing for my zx6r..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts