Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may damage the image stabilization module and significantly impact your phone's ability to autofocus.

Installed the Quad Lock stem mount on my 2020 with the dampener and the charging system and went on a 1500 mi. ride. I noticed in the first 400 miles that my phone camera was starting to have trouble focusing (iPhone 11 Pro Max), I dismissed it as a software glitch. By 800 miles, it was so bad that I couldn't take a picture of the bike against a chain-link fence background because the camera was having trouble distinguishing the links and keeping them in focus.

After I got home I started Googling. This a hardware issue and I basically just toasted the image stabilization module on a $1000+ phone. It is fixable but putting my phone in that mount for it to happen again is a non-starter.

I had intended to upgrade my phone in a few months so I am not as irritated as I would otherwise be but buyer beware. -- I am also contacting Quad Lock because they have to know about this.

Here is Apple's disclaimer:.. and somewhat of an understatement.
Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically, those generated by high-power motorcycle engines can degrade the performance of the camera system. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

Here is an iFixIt article: https://www.ifixit.com/News/55673/iphone-smartphone-motorcycle-cameras-ois-focus-damage

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wait, did I understand correct that you also had Quad Lock's special virbation damping module installed?

SP Connect also makes that kind of hardware for mounting phones on a motorcycle, and they too have developed a special vibration damping module.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My friend had the same issue with his iPhone 11 on a quad lock with damping. I use the SP Connect with damper and haven't had any issues yet. Maybe the SP Connect silicone phone case helps?

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 Sx
101 Posts
I’ve done around 3000kms since installing the quadlock dampener and no issues so far with my iPhone 12pro. I did have issues in the past with my iPhone 10 (no dampener used). It costed me 100 bucks to change the camera module from Apple so it’s not a big deal to me if something were to happen. I find it much more convenient to use a phone with the scenic app than installing a GPS

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait, did I understand correct that you also had Quad Lock's special virbation damping module installed?

SP Connect also makes that kind of hardware for mounting phones on a motorcycle, and they too have developed a special vibration damping module.
I sure do. I went into the garage to take a pic with my phone but it was having so much trouble focusing in there that I lost my patience but yes the dampener is on and the charging platform is on top of that.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend had the same issue with his iPhone 11 on a quad lock with damping. I use the SP Connect with damper and haven't had any issues yet. Maybe the SP Connect silicone phone case helps?

I’ve done around 3000kms since installing the quadlock dampener and no issues so far with my iPhone 12pro. I did have issues in the past with my iPhone 10 (no dampener used). It costed me 100 bucks to change the camera module from Apple so it’s not a big deal to me if something were to happen. I find it much more convenient to use a phone with the scenic app than installing a GPS

It also may be an issue with the type of riding as well. I didn't see this issue until I had to do some "long-distance" highway runs at 80 + mph/128+ kph for several hours. -- Admittedly, I only had the Quad Lock for 4 hours of street/twisties 2 hours of highway (never more than 1 hour at a time) before I did this sustained speed trip through the middle of nowhere.

I have a few alternatives in mind but all of them are less convenient than my current setup.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I am going to upgrade to a new phone anyway, I am looking at efficient ways to make this the sacrificial motorcycle phone and carry my normal phone in my jacket.

I do a lot of long-distance and multi-day riding/camping and having my phone right there is SWEET and I am not ready to give it up.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000 ABS
84 Posts
I stopped using phone mounts once I upgraded from the iPhone6 to the iPhone SE. I noticed if I captured video while riding it was all wonky, and then read here about the autofocus problem. So now I just put it my tank bag.

I removed the clutch lever ram mount from my ninja. It was kind of an odd mounting spot anyway.

I was tempted to get the quad lock, so glad you made this post.

Reactions: Spurber

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am curious if you only used this phone on this bike ? As in was it used previously on a different bike ?
1) inline 4/s don't make the vibration that traditionally causes this issue
2) Ran the Quad lock with Dampener for 15000kms and no issues
3) everyone I ride with that has a phone mounted uses this system with no issues so far

This issue was usually related to the big vibration V-Twins more so than inline 4's - Just curious - I bought a GPS and leave my phone in my luggage

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am curious if you only used this phone on this bike ? As in was it used previously on a different bike ?
1) inline 4/s don't make the vibration that traditionally causes this issue
2) Ran the Quad lock with Dampener for 15000kms and no issues
3) everyone I ride with that has a phone mounted uses this system with no issues so far

This issue was usually related to the big vibration V-Twins more so than inline 4's - Just curious - I bought a GPS and leave my phone in my luggage
1) Just this bike. Bought it used a few months ago with 700 miles on it.
2) Cool
3)Awesome. I should start riding with you guys. :) This was my experience, I am pretty transparent about it. YMMV.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 1000 SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I stopped using phone mounts once I upgraded from the iPhone6 to the iPhone SE. I noticed if I captured video while riding it was all wonky, and then read here about the autofocus problem. So now I just put it my tank bag.

I removed the clutch lever ram mount from my ninja. It was kind of an odd mounting spot anyway.

I was tempted to get the quad lock, so glad you made this post.
--It's just one of those things... you can always find a reason to mount your phone but if you can't think of one immediately and you are cool without, just swallow the blue pill and stay content.

Been riding with audio since before mobile phones or phones with data plans and I have done Iron Butts and dozens of multi-day trips without a phone mount but this checked a few boxes so I did it. -- Quad Lock has mountain bikes and dirt bikes in their ads so I figured it would be ok. I was more concerned about it holding than any vibrations.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Simple solution, ditch the phone made by the fruit company and get a Samsung..problem solved.

Had my Samsung on my N1k for over 10 thousand ks (6 thousand miles), no issue with phone camera system at all.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
165 Posts
Over 3000 miles with my quadlock, dampener and iPhone 11 with no issues. Of the mounting options for phones it seems to be one of the top options.

·
Registered
Ninja 1000 sx MY 2021
16 Posts
It may damage the image stabilization module and significantly impact your phone's ability to autofocus.

Installed the Quad Lock stem mount on my 2020 with the dampener and the charging system and went on a 1500 mi. ride. I noticed in the first 400 miles that my phone camera was starting to have trouble focusing (iPhone 11 Pro Max), I dismissed it as a software glitch. By 800 miles, it was so bad that I couldn't take a picture of the bike against a chain-link fence background because the camera was having trouble distinguishing the links and keeping them in focus.

After I got home I started Googling. This a hardware issue and I basically just toasted the image stabilization module on a $1000+ phone. It is fixable but putting my phone in that mount for it to happen again is a non-starter.

I had intended to upgrade my phone in a few months so I am not as irritated as I would otherwise be but buyer beware. -- I am also contacting Quad Lock because they have to know about this.

Here is Apple's disclaimer:.. and somewhat of an understatement.
Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically, those generated by high-power motorcycle engines can degrade the performance of the camera system. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

Here is an iFixIt article: https://www.ifixit.com/News/55673/iphone-smartphone-motorcycle-cameras-ois-focus-damage
Yes it can damage your camera but it only does so if you use your camera while riding if we only use for navigation or anything else except camera than it won’t damage. Somehow I damage my camera during a ride by using it

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve been using a Quadlock with the damper for my iPhone 13 Pro Max for about 700 miles so far on my dual-sport off-road. No issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts