Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I live in a building, therefore I do not have any plugs in the garage.
I am trying to find some powered battery tender to keep my baby charged over winter then I can't use it.
Is anyone aware of anything as such or maybe can suggest a good combination of battery tender + battery pack so that I can make sure my Ninja battery is always charged?
I've got a GPS and alarm installed on it, so I am trying to make sure they keep functioning throughout the winter.
Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take the battery out and put on tender in your apartment.

Edit: you can also just ride the bike, that is what I do (but I'm in NYC area...).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Do you plan on riding through the Winter months? If not, then it might be better to pull the battery and store it where you do have access to a plug in charger.

If you do plan on riding it, but not often enough between rides to keep the battery from been discharged, then the easiest way is to get a big deep cycle battery and connect it via the same battery tender lead you use to charge your bike's battery. The deep cycle battery won't charge your bike's battery to 100%, but that really isn't necessary. What that will do is to share the electrical load, so it will take a lot longer to drain both batteries. Depending on how long your winter is there, you might have to take the deep cycle battery back to the house to recharge every so often. As long as the deep cycle helps your bike's battery keep a good amount of charge in it, then you'll have no problem starting the bike.

There are commercially available 12V power bank chargers or jump starter battery packs, which will essentially do the same thing. Only difference is those typically use lithium batteries and so are much lighter and portable. That's great for having it in your car, but won't matter as much for your garage setup. If anything, those typically are meant to deliver a lot of amps for a short duration (for starting a car engine) but don't have a whole lot of reserve capacity, which is really what you want. You can get one with high reserve capacity, but they get rather expensive. In any case, you'll likely have to recharge the backup batt every so often regardless. A lot depends on the current draw with your bike OFF. That would be the alarm system.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Hi all,
I am trying to find some powered battery tender to keep my baby charged over winter then I can't use it.
Is anyone aware of anything as such or maybe can suggest a good combination of battery tender + battery pack so that I can make sure my Ninja battery is always charged?
I've got a GPS and alarm installed on it, so I am trying to make sure they keep functioning throughout the winter.
I would say take the battery out and charge it in your apartment, but the main objective seems to be keeping the alarm and the GPS powered. The deep cycle battery is a great idea, but in a parking garage environment, that will get stolen faster than the bike itself. Your best bet is riding it once a month, weather permitting. Where do you live?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in London, therefore I should be able to ride once every one or two weeks hopefully. The weather is very uncertain here and as I said, I need the GPS and alarm in a working state as it's been already stolen once 😅

So taking the battery out is not really a viable option.

I think I should be able to hide a small power station underneath the cover. The alarm has a perimeter sensor so it would be triggered as soon as someone gets too close to the bike. Also, it's parked near a wall, so 1 side is not really accessible unless they move the motorcycle.

Eventually, any suggestion about what to buy? How long would it take to fully re-charge the battery?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
I live in London, therefore I should be able to ride once every one or two weeks hopefully. The weather is very uncertain here and as I said, I need the GPS and alarm in a working state as it's been already stolen once 😅

I think I should be able to hide a small power station underneath the cover. The alarm has a perimeter sensor so it would be triggered as soon as someone gets too close to the bike. Also, it's parked near a wall, so 1 side is not really accessible unless they move the motorcycle.

Eventually, any suggestion about what to buy? How long would it take to fully re-charge the battery?
Your options are solar, but you are in a parking garage, not sure if you have, or are even close to a window. A larger, deep cycle batter sitting on the ground sharing the load with the onboard battery, or having 2 motorcycle battery’s and rotating them regularly, keeping one on the charger in the apartment at all times. That’s a good excuse to buy a lightweight lithium ion battery for your bike.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
I think I have the perfect solution. You need a self supported power supply. One that's not easily stolen. How about a generator?

Simply chain the bike to the generator. Schedule someone to fill the generator, monthly, so it doesn't run out of fuel.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Didn't realize you meant a public parking garage. That'll rule out automotive deep cycle battery for sure.

Do you have a lockable top case? If so, you can put a good size lithium battery inside and wire it through the case into your bike's battery. That should help share the load for long enough between rides. Recharging time depends on the charger you have. If it outputs less than an amp, it'll take several hours, depending on the depth of discharge. 2A or higher will take an hour or less.

As for alarm systems, most are only good for keeping away honest folks and make amateurs thieves look for an easier target. If a pro wants your bike bad enough, it'll be gone in less than 20 sec. If you live close enough (say, in the same building), then a good 2-way alarm will be a good investment. It's great for when traveling... staying at motels, stopping for lunch/dinner/stores, where you're easily within antenna range, it's good to get a notice and you are close enough to investigate. Otherwise a 1-way alarm is basically just a noise maker.

Reactions: Riv

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all,
You can always remove the battery and place it on the tender. I have a outside in heated garage and remove all my batteries in all my vehicle and store them in my mud room of my house to prevent freezing.
good luck

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
20Kaw, he can't do that because there won't be any way to power his alarm and GPS if the battery is gone.

Without those, his bike is stolen and we have made a complete circle back to where it all began.

My generator solution is the best, so far.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
90 Posts
Can’t believe that there are no exposed pipes or something to chain that sucker to. Problem solved :D

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts

If you can ride every 2 weeks the bike battery should easily be able to last that long assuming the the GPS and Alarm aren't complete power hogs.

If it's going to be longer, and you can stick something under your cover I'd get a 12V lithium battery and add a convenient plug so you plug it into the bike in parallel with the on-board battery. It'll top off the on-board battery and then share the load. If you're going to be off the bike longer than the pair holds up, simply take the lithium in and charge it for a few hours and put it back. The on-board battery can certainly hold for that length of time. It means thinking about the bike every so often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
20Kaw, he can't do that because there won't be any way to power his alarm and GPS if the battery is gone.

Without those, his bike is stolen and we have made a complete circle back to where it all began.

yeah sorry RC , I misfired that reply without reading all the post.lol
Sounds like your idea is best or a bunch of locks and maybe a camera

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
This is such a real life situation because every solution has huge drawbacks. Worse yet, I think bike 2 is being parked right where bike 1 was. If the generator isnt massive, it would get stolen, too.

From reading MCN magazine, not a issue goes by without them mentioning London and bike theft. I think we have issues here, but nothing like they do.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My own experience with bike alarms is that the stock size batt for the N1k cannot be relied upon for maybe a week at most without a full recharge. It's partly why I decided to shove the big ZX-14R Sized Shorai into mine. See here: Getting the bike on a DIET!

It's not that current draw is heavy, it's more that the stock YTX-9BS is only rated at 8.4Ah capacity. That's brand new fully charged. Realistically, you wouldn't want to drain more than 1/2 that if you expect to crank the engine reliably on a cold wintery London morning. For an older batt... arguably even less.

For me, I'm only concerned about my alarm lasting overnight at the motel. OP's requirement is a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Volfy, that zx14 battery would work. He could buy a spare passenger seat, and mount a top box to it. At that point, he could stuff the zx14 battery into it. Use it as a storage/battery box.

When he gets home, he would have to go inside and grab the storage box. Attach the leads, from the box to the battery tender plug. That should offer 2-3 weeks of reliable protection?

When he rides, take the box inside to charge ?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
RC, even though I shoehorned the ZX14R battery in my N1k, I hesitate to recommend it. The biggest drawback is that stock seat pan no longer fit, neither will the Sargent seat. I'm lucky I also have a Corbin that did. I'm looking at ways to solve the seat issue, but no big urgency since I have the Corbin to ride on. Too many piled up projects already, which always happens after not being able to do much thru the Houston Summer months. I really need an A/C'ed workshop.

Anyhow, there are other ways to increase battery capacity. If OP doesn't need to carry a pillion, he could replace the pillion seat with a cover. That might make enough space for an auxiliary battery.

A lot depends on what he has already installed and how much modification he is willing to undertake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts