Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally ride in Rider mode with F power and KTRC at 1. Before I bought my '21, I test drove a '20 that was quite inclined to power wheelie through the first 3-4 gears. I now assume he had the TC completely off when he tossed the keys to me.

Stuck in the office atm, but wondering if we can get the front wheel off the ground in KTRC 1? Looking forward to trying after work. . .

·
Registered
619 Posts
My 2020 does not want to wheelie without turning off traction control. It’s been too long ago that I changed the settings, so I’m not even sure what they are called. I know I have power set to the sportiest level and traction control turned on.

I’m not a wheelie expert, but my 2011 Ninja 1000 from tire was off the ground many times without me trying.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The pre-electronic Gens once Ivanized are absolute wheelie monsters. Huge fun! :p

Reactions: Ninja_1000

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 2018 will wheelie with TC on but the front tire only comes up a few inches before nanny says "no".
And if it's like others I've tried, it's pretty rude about how it slams it back down. Especially if you clutch it up.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 2021 that I ride almost exclusively in the stock Sport mode. It will absolutely power wheelie in first gear. Get going about 30-ish mph and romp the throttle and the front wheel will come up a few inches before the TC kicks in and sets it back down. TC is also pretty gentle about it, at least in my limited experience.

In 2nd gear you might be able to get a small power wheelie. I've only ever had the wheel come up on a hard shift from the top of first. So I guess that's technically a clutch up? I've never actually tried to power it up in 2nd.

TL;DR: yes, it'll power wheelie, but it won't be a big one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 that I ride almost exclusively in the stock Sport mode. It will absolutely power wheelie in first gear. Get going about 30-ish mph and romp the throttle and the front wheel will come up a few inches before the TC kicks in and sets it back down. TC is also pretty gentle about it, at least in my limited experience.

In 2nd gear you might be able to get a small power wheelie. I've only ever had the wheel come up on a hard shift from the top of first. So I guess that's technically a clutch up? I've never actually tried to power it up in 2nd.

Mine is a 2015 and It will clutch up in 2nd gear. Full power, TC on setting 1. I dunno about the ktrc setting the front back down for you though. I think it could still flip if I had no control of my right wrist.

·
Registered
619 Posts

You start out making it sound like the best sex you ever had. Then you admit it’s only a “few inches”. That’s what gives guys a bad name :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
You start out making it sound like the best sex you ever had. Then you admit it’s only a “few inches”. That’s what gives guys a bad name :)
LMAO! Well, truth be told I don't know exactly how high it comes up. I'm just guessing based on feel. I haven't recorded it or anything to be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Judging by what Factor5Fighter says here,
"My 2018 will wheelie with TC on but the front tire only comes up a few inches before nanny says "no"."

and Oramac's 2021 model
"TL;DR: yes, it'll power wheelie, but it won't be a big one. "

I have to imagine Kawasaki dialed the intrusiveness of the KTRC system up a bit on later models. As I mentioned mine is a '15 and loves to wheelie in 1st and 2nd on stock settings, power wheelies in first, clutch ups in first or second, etc. And while I am not trying to 12:00 the thing, I've had the front end up considerably more than "just a few inches". My innate fear of flipping the bike keeps me from getting too comfortable with lofting the front too high. That is, on the default "1" setting, I haven't felt KTRC come between my right wrist and the engine at all, (yet) and I don't really know if the system will indeed prevent a flip, because I don't let it get to the point where KTRC would have to step in to save me. (Which would be, where? At or before your reach noon? not at all? I'd like to know) Setting 2 is great for rain, 3 if you're riding all day on gravel... but setting 1 actually is kind of nice for fair weather wheelies. It does prevent wheelspin on clutch-ups. I've gotten wheelspin with KTRC off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I pretty much fear wheelies after a terrifying newbie experience over 15 years ago. Watching Jay's video gave me heart palpitations every time he hammered the throttle! Despite this, I'm probably going to break down and get the Ivan's flash since I finally have the bike down for a major service after crashing on the track. I'm guessing I'll have to relearn throttle control after that. :D

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Seriously, it's a lot easier to deal with, after the flash. People get in trouble when these bikes are unpredictable, or sensitive. Dead spots. The unpredictable spot at 1750rpm. The flash doesn't do that.

When you don't have those dead spots, like the stock bike does, it's much easier to meet the power. The flash makes it like running a nice, expensive dimmer switch rather than trying to dim within on/off switch. Even a brand new rider who never rode before would've better off with it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I don't understand why you guys make this out to be a race/trick/super sport. Its an awesome sport tourer, so many more power/ super sport bikes out there for wheelies. Enjoy what you have but as far as sport/performance bikes, it is not even in the top 20.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't understand why you guys make this out to be a race/trick/super sport. Its an awesome sport tourer, so many more power/ super sport bikes out there for wheelies. Enjoy what you have but as far as sport/performance bikes, it is not even in the top 20.
There are many much better touring bikes out there also. The common theme is we want a little more sport capability. The bike has enough power and suspension to do some decent wheelies. The IMU system can do much more than Kawi is letting it. Sport mode should allow you to set a maximum front wheel lift value. I'd be happy with 10". limited to ~2" is not sport in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
There are many much better touring bikes out there also. The common theme is we want a little more sport capability. The bike has enough power and suspension to do some decent wheelies. The IMU system can do much more than Kawi is letting it. Sport mode should allow you to set a maximum front wheel lift value. I'd be happy with 10". limited to ~2" is not sport in my eyes.
Exactly..."we want a little more"! There are at least 5 more bikes in the kawai line that are faster. You didn't buy this bike to be the bad *** on the street. Its an awesome sport tourer, enjoy!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts