Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having done about 200 miles on my new Ninja1000 I don't find too much of a difference between the two power modes.. both in traffic and out on the highway... Wondering if this is a general feeling amongst most?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Welcome!

A lot of the new bikes will have different power modes available. If the bike uses ride by wire technology, the ecu controls the throttle bodies it is completely possible to have the power modes behave very differently. This makes it easy to add cruise control, or dial in throttle response in a very different manner.

We don't have a system like that so the power modes really cannot be much different from each other. This chart shows what you will feel between the modes. You can see that there is no difference up until about half throttle. At that point you can see how the soft mode holds it back. I'm not exactly sure how Kawasaki does this. Looking at the chart I THINK they are holding the secondary throttle bodies shut or not allowing them to fully open. This would limit top end power.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Welcome aboard
While breaking the bike in I didn't feel a difference either, wasn't even real sure were I would fell it or how much.
After break in though at full throttle in 3rd up I could fell it. It's not a life altering amount though, lets say something like a 25% reduction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome!

A lot of the new bikes will have different power modes available. If the bike uses ride by wire technology, the ecu controls the throttle bodies it is completely possible to have the power modes behave very differently. This makes it easy to add cruise control, or dial in throttle response in a very different manner.

We don't have a system like that so the power modes really cannot be much different from each other. This chart shows what you will feel between the modes. You can see that there is no difference up until about half throttle. At that point you can see how the soft mode holds it back. I'm not exactly sure how Kawasaki does this. Looking at the chart I THINK they are holding the secondary throttle bodies shut or not allowing them to fully open. This would limit top end power.
this is quite true, This weekend I topped out my bike again in full power and I got 150mph, then I tried low mode and I got 133mph topped out, so yeah, throttle body secondary limited...….

·
Registered
39 Posts
Having done about 200 miles on my new Ninja1000 I don't find too much of a difference between the two power modes.. both in traffic and out on the highway... Wondering if this is a general feeling amongst most?
Found this on Kawasaki's UK website.

Power modes offer riders an easily selectable choice between Full and Low Power. While Full Power is unrestricted, in Low Power mode maximum power is limited to approximately 75-80% of Full. Response is also milder in Low Power mode. Riders may opt to use Low Power mode for rainy conditions or city riding, and Full Power when sport riding.

I have noticed on my 2017 model when in Low power mode, the throttle is much smoother which is better for city traffic and at slower speeds. Full power is best I find when riding spiritedly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can also feel a diff when you switch between the KTRC modes. Try F power with KTRC at 1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts