Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a done deal if i go ahead & decide to trade my connie in for a ninja 1000, its not an easy decision though. The concours is an OK bike, i've had it nearly 2yr's now, it's definitely a great ground cover'er i'll hand it that but i find it to have some quirks i just cant get past, I hate KiPASS, never had a problem with it but it gets old always making sure i'm not forgetting the fob, KiPASS is a ridiculous system anyways, i dont think a 600+lb touring bike is a hot theft commodity & the entire bike from gas cap to luggage removal requires a key so why not just have a regular key'd ignition???? I dont care for the wind noise & buffeting of the concours, im sure trying out different windshields would help this though. Weight is another big thing, its ok when traveling but moving this thing around the garage or hustling it down a back road i realize this thing is a big haas. Enter the N1K, its the only bike that really interests me for sport touring duty, i never really got on the adv touring bike band wagon, i've tried to like the new verseys 1K but it just doesnt do it for me. The ninja 1k seems to be the lighter weight, simpler machine im thinking i want. Another hang up im having is i also have a gsxr 1K, i dont like having similar bikes, im wondering if the ninja & gsxr would be similar in a way or still quite different from one to the other. Let me know what you folks think, i really do like/listen to others opinions/experience's

·
Registered
483 Posts
Several of us are sport riders who just wanted better ergos. Your connie is probably a better over the road bike as the n1k is really a 400 mile/day ride for -non-hardcore crowd ( I am sure someone has ridden more than that but it isnt going to be me) your gsxr probably begins to hurt at the 50 minute (as mine did). The n1k is a bit heavy and a bit down on power versus the gsxr however it is great as SPORT touring bike. It needs a sprocket change right off the bat so save 100 bucks or less if you can install yourself.

When riding through Hocking Hills twisties I am still able to stay with the super sports in our lead group, there is enough torque on the bike to get the jump on them :) a good rider on a super sport is going to pull away in the curves if they want to, but you are not holding them back.

The bike is a swiss army knife it does everything really well but cant compete against single purpose. You really only need one bike with the kawi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2011 Concours and a 2015 N1K... Like them both, but prefer the concours for anything over 150 mile day... I am having the 16T front sprocket put on the ninja today... we'll see how it feels...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I could do 150 on a super sport. I guess its all about preferences. It normally is about 150 to places I want to ride :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2015 ninja 1000 and a 2012 cbr 1000rr, so I'm similar to you with the super sport and the sport tourer. For me I feel that there is enough difference between the 2 to keep both in my garage. The n1k is way better for 2up and for eating miles in a still fun manner, the CBR has been converted to single seater and is just a blast when I want a bit more aggression. Saw the Concours when I was checking out the n1k, to heavy and chunky for me, I would forever be stuck in traffic jams over here! Just my 2 pennies...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a 2014 N1K. 1st let me say the gearing on the N1K is a joke. If you test rode the Versys 1000, forget about what the gearing was like as the N1K has a different gearbox ratio set. N1K has a close ratio gear box, so test ride one before you do it.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Like you, I had a Concours (2013 for me). I loved the bike but the weight killed it for me. I put on a different windscreen which took care of the wind but it was still just too heavy.
I bought the N1K in Dec. and am getting ready to go to 16/40 sprockets because, like others, I think the gearing is way to low for this type of bike.
I just got back from a road trip to Chicago for a conference a couple weeks ago. 505 miles each way and it was no problem. Other than the gears, you're gonna want to change the seat. Seth Laam did a great job on mine.

Enjoy the ride either way. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the trigger & went ahead and traded it, right off the bat the ninja feels waaay more nimble then the c-14, it definitely has way more pull too, prob due to the wheelie gearing that comes stock on these ninja's. Im excited to rack up the miles on this rig! here is it & my gsxr

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Congrats... change the front sprocket right away.. it doesnt hurt the pull a bit and makes the gears use-able.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats... change the front sprocket right away.. it doesnt hurt the pull a bit and makes the gears use-able.
yep the 16T front sprocket will be one of the 1st changes i make, i see some swapping the rear sprocket out for the 39T rear, i may just do the front for now & see if i likey. also will be getting givi luggage for it, this is basically going to be a smaller concours to me lol

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I think you made a good choice. I still have my 08 concours, and its totally different from my ninja. Should not really be considered a sport tourer..well, one of them, anyway.

The 14 is a tough bike to figure out. I owned mine for a few years before I did. The night I dropped my wallet, on the highway, 100 miles away from home, I did.

Knew right where the wallet had fallen out. It was right by my blown out tire. I needed to get back to the location fast. The bike started making sense holding it at 120-130 the entire way. The fairing worked, The suspension worked. Safety, and comfort. The headlight was amazing as this was all around midnight. For sure the greatest streetride I've ever had. I drained a tank of fuel in under 30 minutes.

For any other use, the Ninja is more fun. The c14 was set up to ride very, very fa. Almost useless with 80mph speed limits. Its not even as good as a Versys 1000 for passengers.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
yep the 16T front sprocket will be one of the 1st changes i make, i see some swapping the rear sprocket out for the 39T rear, i may just do the front for now & see if i likey. also will be getting givi luggage for it, this is basically going to be a smaller concours to me lol
My smaller Concours. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2011 Concours and a 2015 N1K... Like them both, but prefer the concours for anything over 150 mile day... I am having the 16T front sprocket put on the ninja today... we'll see how it feels...
Interested to hear how your change out goes.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
SDkosey, you realize you could add a 175lb passengers weight to you ninja and it would still be lighter than a concours.

If you said you commute to work 100 miles, each way, AND its a private road with a 130mph speed limit, I'd encourage you to get the c14. s what its made for.

If you said the speed limit was 80, you want the ninja.

C14 is like finding out a big, fat lady can dance really well. The 14 handles its weight , and handles great, BUT at the end of the night, its still a big, fat, pig of a bike.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
SDkosey, you realize you could add a 175lb passengers weight to you ninja and it would still be lighter than a concours.

If you said you commute to work 100 miles, each way, AND its a private road with a 130mph speed limit, I'd encourage you to get the c14. s what its made for.

If you said the speed limit was 80, you want the ninja.

C14 is like finding out a big, fat lady can dance really well. The 14 handles its weight , and handles great, BUT at the end of the night, its still a big, fat, pig of a bike.
Couldn't agree with you more. I traded my 2013 Concours 6 months ago for this bike. I also just got back a couple weeks ago from a conference in Chicago. 500+ miles each way. This bike is just as comfortable right now as my Concours was. Not as much bling (electric windscreen, better mirrors, better dash, etc) but a lot more fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interested to hear how your change out goes.
I had about 3K miles on the 15T sprocket and have about 500-600 city/highway miles on the 16T sprocket. I noticed the change right away. I have more range on each gear, but I feel it reduces the quickness of the bike... it's still fast, but not as quick for me anyway. It's definitely a smoother ride on the highway, but has reduced the throttle response in city riding. When I first got the bike, I thought it was more power then I need, but now seems tamer... maybe I'm just getting used to it. I do feel I need to downshift more than with the 15T sprocket. It feels more like my '11 C14 shifting. I do feel I can now ride the bike for longer distances in a little more comfort. I told my mechanic to hold onto the stock sprocket as I may change back. I don't know if it's better or worse... just... different. I like them both just don't know which one I prefer yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had about 3K miles on the 15T sprocket and have about 500-600 city/highway miles on the 16T sprocket. I noticed the change right away. I have more range on each gear, but I feel it reduces the quickness of the bike... it's still fast, but not as quick for me anyway. It's definitely a smoother ride on the highway, but has reduced the throttle response in city riding. When I first got the bike, I thought it was more power then I need, but now seems tamer... maybe I'm just getting used to it. I do feel I need to downshift more than with the 15T sprocket. It feels more like my '11 C14 shifting. I do feel I can now ride the bike for longer distances in a little more comfort. I told my mechanic to hold onto the stock sprocket as I may change back. I don't know if it's better or worse... just... different. I like them both just don't know which one I prefer yet.
Thanks, nice post. I like the 1000 for the low end power but it does require a lot of shifting. I am getting a ZX-14 for the long trips we do and love the Ninja around town as it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sdkoskey, have you posted anywhere what equipment you've added, pictured in that great photo? It looks fantastic, and pretty much captures my vision for the finished setup I'm looking for.

Hat's off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts